WIP MGS4 Raiden , mouthpiece resin casting horrors

maverick626

Hi , this is my first thread here
so i will try to keep this simple and brief

I´ve been trying to make a costume of Raiden , from metal gear , in his cyborg ninja version . Its taking me a lot of effort .
After years of trying and miserably failing to make the costume using syntra , various fabrics and hotglue , I finally managed to get a neoprene wetsuit , to bolt the pieces of armor in ( without fear for them ripping the fabric or getting loose )
So it was time to focus on finishing the head piece .
a long time ago it looked like this
DSCI0466.jpg

Some resining , dremelling and sanding later , like this
6i1Fd00naS_FEeml1aE0.jpg

My uncle is ... is...ok , i don´t know how do you call his job in english , so lets just say that he is the guy that makes the prostethic teeth that a dentist installs in your mouth , so he has a small vacuformer and i managed to get the visors made as light as posible , i then installed some red leds .

Some more resining to fill in gaps and scratches , some cutting to the translucent protector and we get this
20101120013155216.jpg

( damn i almost like badass and all )

Now i´m trying to make the transparent lip and teeth .
I went to my local suplier for silicone and resin , followed the instructions for mixture and curing times . Got this ...
DSCI1595.jpg

DSCI1593.jpg

DSCI1589.jpg

DSCI1590.jpg

I know its far from perfect the piece ( the teeth are tilted and the lip is not a perfect match for my mouth ) but what i want to achieve is a smooth look on the "skin" side of the lip , any advice?

the original sculpt was made using fimo
i used RTV 801 silicone for the mold , and ( as instructed at the resin shop) a thin coat of vaselin as release agent
then i used EC 131 UV resistant , clear epoxy resin to cast the piece .

Any advice?

Since i don´t believe my noobsh skills will acomplish a better cast of the lip , i decided to experiment on the cast i have , found that i can sand out some of the uglier parts to "lessen " the broken ice look, and then get back the transparency by using some tamiya X-22 clear coat
DSCI1603.jpg

DSCI1605.jpg

I guess that the next lip , with the teeth the way they were supposed to be , will be good enough to use for the costume

Last edited:
Ok , a few weeks have passed , this is what i have so far

DSCI1756.jpg

DSCI1753.jpg

DSCI1755.jpg

I did a new lip with fimo , casted the mold and poured the resin , this pieces had a much better finish, i only sanded 2 smal areas .
as for the rest of the mask , i want to re-do the visors , and get a better upper piece , the one i used to have was broken , and this one is not spherical , guess i´ll star looking out for old bike helmets with bubble visors , or fishbowls

Wow. I was planning to do that last 2 year but decide to drop project. (Focus on iron man and magneto. I still have old pictures of Raiden mask, which i save for my project. Maybe I can do that after finish my other 2 helmet) Keep up on your awesome project!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back