Shuttle Tydirium

jedimaster

Sr Member
Ok so this will be a build thread of the Neisen kit. I will post some pix later today. Just wanting to know if anyone else has started to build one and how badly their main hull was warped if at all?

Thanks...... Simon

I've got 2 of these from the first run that Rich did, I'm sure it was improved somewhat. expect the unexpected and expect to be baffled and angry, that where I was last time I touched em. Looking forward to seeing how your build goes and fingers crossed its easier than mine. I have a box full of very expensive parts.

Now that would be cool.... Guy I've been staring at mine for almost two years wondering how the hell am I going to do that. I got some neon for the engines and grain of wheat for the flashing and landing lights. I am getting an armature machined with two mounting points. One on the underside and one at the rear where the aft guns are. This is a very heavy kit.

It would be real easy, but I can't do a thing without the model in front of me.

Sadly it was out of my hands, I was promised a kit. Nothing ever showed up.

It's a hard lesson, that's why I never do any form of trading these days. I'm owed way too much.

It would be real easy, but I can't do a thing without the model in front of me.

Sadly it was out of my hands, I was promised a kit. Nothing ever showed up.

It's a hard lesson, that's why I never do any form of trading these days. I'm owed way too much.

It would need some good motors and gearing I can tell ya. The solid wings with brass reinforcement weigh a ton on this model. On the extra's disc on the blu ray set they talk about how they had to make the wings hollow to keep the weight down for the Mech. That's why you see the warped wings at the exhibits today.

It would need some good motors and gearing I can tell ya. The solid wings with brass reinforcement weigh a ton on this model. On the extra's disc on the blu ray set they talk about how they had to make the wings hollow to keep the weight down for the Mech. That's why you see the warped wings at the exhibits today.
That's why I need the model in front of me, the motor is the trick to making it work.

I wouldn't use the model for mounting the motor, I wanted to use an aluminum plate and attach the entire mechanism to the plate. Including the wing pivots, attach the plate to the hull and use the plate for the mount.
The motor would be a gearmotor(they come in all shapes, sizes and torques), two gears are needed(one is attached to the motor), the other is moving the opposite way. For connecting to the wings I would use timing pulleys or chains. One connected to each gear, so the wings would move in the correct direction. And if set up correctly the wings movement will sync no problem. To stop the wings in each direction I would use a limit switch(only two needed on one wing), then use a 3 way switch to control the direction of the wings, the limit switches stop the wings from moving any further(thus damaging the model). Use a pot(variable resistor) to control the wings speed.

I know this doesn't sound very easy, I'm used to things being more difficult.
Getting it all together is the tricky part. It would have to be relatively precise, like I said, I would need the model to make it all fit.

Getting the wings motorized was my dream, unfortunatly as you said the wings need to be very light. Mine was a full scratchbuilt shuttle with hollow wings but to avoid any warp over time I built them very strong with a lot of reinforcement, they're light but not as light as the original I guess. Lorne said they used honeycomb and styrene, but the wings started to warp even before the end of the building. :lol

The other tough point is that the landing gears and doors are linked to the wing mechanism, there's not that much room inside the body (you need a strong armature, room for the electronic (engine lights and wing tip lights). I think everything (I mean the mechanism) should be homemade to fit in this tight body, with machined gears, machined landing gears etc... That's really something I wanted to do but because of the lack of money (would have cost a fortune !) and time (I was in a rush to finish it lol) and because of the lack of information of the ILM mechanism it never happened.
However I really hope someone will build it this way someday, that would make a beautiful model !

Guy, too bad you never finished any of your Shuttle. Mine is painted but I'm not happy with the result and I was waiting for your paintjob to redo mine ! :cry

I'll get it done one day mate, I'm just having a break from Resin builds whilst Freya is so young. Just think though Julien, you may not be happy but thousands would mate, its still looks amazing but I know the feeling of not happy only too well mate.

I don't think the wings and gear were linked, when looking at the footage they didn't move at the same rate. Nor did they appear to work very well. They have to come down and extend.

But like most things in film we were seeing an illusion. It's a whole lot easier to have each on it's own switch, than make something far more complex than it needs to be.

But it isn't the first time guys were taken in by the illusions of SW. The R2 guys still haven't got the 3rd leg to work like it was depicted in the films.

Being linked do not mean moving at the same rate !

Yeah yeah the lights were not even blinking by their own but the guys put them on and off by hand, counting the frame they should be on and off. :)

As for the 3rd leg of R2, they're all aware of it worked (AFAIK it was pneumatic and the leg couldnt retracts by itself) but that's so cool to have an astromech unit being able to do a 2-3-2 ! That's a lot of challenge and they reached their goal where the UK crew failed.

No but the system can be disengageable, what I think can be true since on a tour, the shuttle was displayed wings up with only one landing gear down.

It doesn't make any sense that it would be a mechanical connection. That would be more work than it's worth. It's a lot easier to push two buttons at the same time, after all if the guy is already doing it. What's another button?

But without seeing the mechanism there is no way to know. Like in the Star Trek world, just because somebody says something about it. We can't take them at their word(memories fade, egos, they think we are nuts, etc).

I would place them on separate switches, it's a lot easier and far less costly. Especially to my sanity.

These are my main concerns with the kit. This thing has more curves than Kim Kardashian. Hopefully all the warps will pull out around the armature. I don't understand why all the flat panels are made from this thin resin. Especially the load bearing parts.

3141c5a8.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back