Updated MK VI Arc Reactor/Stealth MK VI Suit-Unibeam 9/11(Pic Heavy)

Re: Mark VI Arc Reactor/Mark VI Build (Pic Heavy)

Stealth is right Dabid, also if ya let th' platsidip fully cure an use more that one coat then us an adhesion promoter and then paint ya should be ok however use an automotive type paint it might work better hpe that helps ya but th' pva should be diluted with water so it soaks into th' foam bra.

Thanks for the info. I'll try both and see the results. I didn't dilute the glue so that may have been a problem as well.

Pics coming later

Re: Mark VI Arc Reactor/Mark VI Build (Pic Heavy)

So I think I finally have locked into a paint process. It is a combination of various members' technique mainly from indiefilmgeek and Stealth.

1. Two layers of diluted tacky glue
2. One layer of straight tacky glue
3. Two coats of plasti dip
4. Two-Three coats of adhesion promoter
5. Two-Four coats of color
6. Optional-light coat of clear

The end products is a nice smooth finish with a good amount of flexibility.
(Note: The paint still can crack if flexed to much, i.e. bent in half)

Photos:

Test piece
IMG_20111116_182934.jpg

IMG_20111116_183026.jpg

IMG_20111116_183111.jpg

IMG_20111116_183117.jpg

Weathering will be included in the process later.

Re: Mark VI Arc Reactor/Mark VI Build- Paint Test 11/16(Pic Heavy)

wow!... looks like a successful test:):thumbsup... can you bend it forward to see if it will wrinkle up... and if it does wrinkle up, does it return flat when flex back to its original form or does it retain the wrinkle mark?

thanks for sharing...

cheers!

yeah David, that's pretty much it.
You gotta take this method for what it is. Unless you dilute the glue, you'll have to accept the peeling over time from abuse. You can always reseal and repaint though.

but nice work man, diluting is the key so it soaks in.

wow!... looks like a successful test:):thumbsup... can you bend it forward to see if it will wrinkle up... and if it does wrinkle up, does it return flat when flex back to its original form or does it retain the wrinkle mark?

thanks for sharing...

cheers!

Bent the opposite way:
IMG_20111116_233450.jpg

IMG_20111116_233526.jpg

The wrinkle does stay after bending but its not excessively obvious.
(the other cracks were from me bending the foam in half)

Bent the opposite way:
IMG_20111116_233450.jpg

IMG_20111116_233526.jpg

The wrinkle does stay after bending but its not excessively obvious.
(the other cracks were from me bending the foam in half)

thanks for the quick response David...:):thumbsup very much appreciated...

the concern for reverse flex/bend is pertaining on the parts behind the knee and elbow...

thanks again

With out putting big bucks into some profession grand urethane paints it's going to be rough trail and error you more or less need a good laminating paint some Alsa Corp paint would bond and flex no problem or try using skin flex paint but it all does cost a pretty penny, another option might just be to hard coat the main parts and maybe avoid the flex all together if it becomes a serious issue but I'd stay away from PVA's and Plasti dip they will always just peel off same as PVC and vinly products with Foam builds might be a better idea to just to use some Metallic Lycra fabric as the skin so it can bond flex and might last longer cause no matter what foam is foam and painting it just wont last that's the nature of it.

Good luck

Its been a while since having time available to work on my build (tons of school work). I found some time to get the thighs done.
IMG_20111120_191313.jpg

IMG_20111120_191302.jpg

IMG_20111120_191248.jpg

IMG_20111120_191345.jpg

On to the boots....

With out putting big bucks into some profession grand urethane paints it's going to be rough trail and error you more or less need a good laminating paint some Alsa Corp paint would bond and flex no problem or try using skin flex paint but it all does cost a pretty penny, another option might just be to hard coat the main parts and maybe avoid the flex all together if it becomes a serious issue but I'd stay away from PVA's and Plasti dip they will always just peel off same as PVC and vinly products with Foam builds might be a better idea to just to use some Metallic Lycra fabric as the skin so it can bond flex and might last longer cause no matter what foam is foam and painting it just wont last that's the nature of it.

Good luck

yeah, that pretty much sums up why to not invest big bucks in these foam costumes. The reality is:

how many times are you gonna wear this thing? after like 3-4 times you're gonna get tired of it. ( I do)
We're making these for fun and in a lot less time. I personally am not disappointed in just painting it on the cheap using the craft type glues and such.

You don't really need plasti-dip in reality.
A plasti-dip part will have the same fate as one just glue sealed. I have tried both to the same results over time. It will still crease inwards. It won't help that

you get the most out of the suit before it's put to rest that's for sure.
I hope a lot of people understand this.
the suit can cost around $70-100 dollars, maybe even less in the end worth of materials.
I think you'll get your money's worth out of the suit before it starts to look unpresentable.

If that fact bugs people in regards to paint ,make a replica from a hard medium and you won't have paint issues.

yeah, that pretty much sums up why to not invest big bucks in these foam costumes. The reality is:

how many times are you gonna wear this thing? after like 3-4 times you're gonna get tired of it. ( I do)
We're making these for fun and in a lot less time. I personally am not disappointed in just painting it on the cheap using the craft type glues and such.

You don't really need plasti-dip in reality.
A plasti-dip part will have the same fate as one just glue sealed. I have tried both to the same results over time. It will still crease inwards. It won't help that

you get the most out of the suit before it's put to rest that's for sure.
I hope a lot of people understand this.
the suit can cost around $70-100 dollars, maybe even less in the end worth of materials.
I think you'll get your money's worth out of the suit before it starts to look unpresentable.

If that fact bugs people in regards to paint ,make a replica from a hard medium and you won't have paint issues.

This is actually pretty informative.
I made my suit just for fun and party. That's the beauty of foam, it's easy, low cost, but still effective :)
I wanted to know if you were going to do a seal/paint tutorial for your foam build as I have no idea how to seal it :lol.
I searched a bit on the forum but don't really know how to do it :wacko
I'm looking forward for it and i'm sure i'm not alone.

You did an awesome job helping us all STEALTH and I wanted to thank you for your job, props to you man. :thumbsup

Re: Mark VI Arc Reactor/Mark VI Build- Thighs 11/20(Pic Heavy)

Aright I'm back to work on this build. I am scrapping my chest and back for Versions 2.0 to achieve a cleaner and more detailed look. Since the chest and back were my first ever builds with foam they weren't as neat as can be. But now after working with the foam for a while I think I can get it cleaner.

I am going to post pics as soon as my gf gets home so I can ask you guys if you think I should scale the chest and back up a bit more for the new ones.

See ya later

Well heres the pic of me in the upper torso. So do you guys think i should scale up the chest and back a bit more?
IMG_20111026_180823.jpg

Well heres the pic of me in the upper torso. So do you guys think i should scale up the chest and back a bit more?
IMG_20111026_180823.jpg
I would scale it up some, looks like the ab pieces may have to be to big (tall wise) if you dont. That is, unless your pants are slightly sagging in the pic. Otherwise, it looks very good!!

what's your height in the chest mm wise?

where is the detailed instructions for the reactor. it's so cool. will want to make one! :D

I wanna know what size you did your chest, pep wise, in inches? You look about the same build as me. My chest is a 46, you?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back