Updated MK VI Arc Reactor/Stealth MK VI Suit-Unibeam 9/11(Pic Heavy)

Re: Mark VI Arc Reactor/Mark VI Build- Left Shin Done(Pic Heavy)

so its lookin really god man... Im enjoying your progress. Sorry if I missed soemthing but are you using shoe goo to hold all the stuff together or another kind of glue? Im just curious, when youre making a section and youre gluing, do you have to sit there holding the pieces together by hand for like 15 minutes for the seems to set??? Im assessing all the weird questions I got before I jump into this as a major project for me. lol

thnx.. keep it up! If I can make a paint suggestion, Look into MONTANA BLACK Spray Paint. Its not actually black in color, just the name of the paint line. Top notch art paint. and when I say top notch , i mean the TOP. alittle pricey, but an amazing coat and a nice soft spray right out of the can. :)

Nice work! very clean...keep testing shoe goo looks like it works well. Plasti-dip is fast and will give you good results. I would seal it first with shoe goo then plasti-dip it. it shouldn't crack after enamel is applied. keep building!

so its lookin really god man... Im enjoying your progress. Sorry if I missed soemthing but are you using shoe goo to hold all the stuff together or another kind of glue? Im just curious, when youre making a section and youre gluing, do you have to sit there holding the pieces together by hand for like 15 minutes for the seems to set??? Im assessing all the weird questions I got before I jump into this as a major project for me. lol

thnx.. keep it up! If I can make a paint suggestion, Look into MONTANA BLACK Spray Paint. Its not actually black in color, just the name of the paint line. Top notch art paint. and when I say top notch , i mean the TOP. alittle pricey, but an amazing coat and a nice soft spray right out of the can. :)

Thank you
No worries my friend. For assembling my pieces I am using good ole hot glue. When I join pieces I hold them together for 20-30 seconds or until the glue has cooled. The shoe goo was used as a sealer on a test piece of foam to see how well it would paint and flex.

I'll take a look into that paint you suggested and see if I could use it somehow.

oops, i just read PVA glue??? can you explain what that is? thnx
Yea from what I understand its just your typical white glue, wood glue, school glue, etc.

Nice work! very clean...keep testing shoe goo looks like it works well. Plasti-dip is fast and will give you good results. I would seal it first with shoe goo then plasti-dip it. it shouldn't crack after enamel is applied. keep building!
Thanks.

Yea the shoe goo is really flexible since it has rubber like properties. I have used plastidip on previous builds and it is so fast and easy to use. If I go with the shoe goo I would need to find a way to evenly apply it to parts. If not I guess I guess I could use it to cover up seams I don't want to show.

P.S: Your mark VI is very impressive. Its definitely a motivator for me and a nice reference of how to go about my build.

So I'm all over the place with this build (doing everything out of order). I was thinking of what I could do for the palm repulsors.

So its a gutted dollar store tap light with 3 leds. Its just a mock up as of now but I extended the wires removed the housing. I was thinking I could turn them one and off in a similar way that spider man shoots his webs.

Its not the best way to do them but the size of them is perfect for my hand. I'll be messing around with these and see what I come up with. Also fiddling around with 9 led mini flashlights.
IMG_20111103_214520.jpg

IMG_20111103_214436.jpg

IMG_20111103_215053.jpg

Dabid , nice clean work bra excellent job on th' arc reactor as well.

No prob bra I call em as i see em can't wait for a update though.

This is looking really awesome, man. You should feel very proud. I need to find some time to look into how to make all this stuff.

I've been kind of ify about using foam, but after seeing what you've done I think I might just try it. That looks amazing!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Looks very good i gotta go to my diy store for those mats. How many did you use?

I'm Jealous already.

Thanks everyone. Update soon.

Looks very good i gotta go to my diy store for those mats. How many did you use?

I'm Jealous already.
I used up one complete roll and a small bit of a second roll.

Ok so I tried a different process for paint and well it failed.

This was with 2 coats of PVA (school glue) then 2 coats of plastidip red, then a base coat of aluminum, and finally cherry red or dark cherry metallic.

IMG_20111106_154116.jpg

IMG_20111106_154132.jpg

This was with the Krylon cherry red. The paint would peel off only leaving the PVA layer. I think since the PVA is water soluble the paint and plasti dip won't stick to it well. Or idk maybe I did something wrong?
IMG_20111106_154238.jpg

IMG_20111106_154249.jpg

IMG_20111106_154301.jpg

The same results with the Duplicolor Dark Cherry metallic. Peels right off like a fruit roll up.

Any suggestions or pointers to the PVA as a sealer. I know others like Xrobots uses PVA to seal foam but it just didn't work for me. Did I do something wrong?

Gonna try Mod Podge tomorrow.

Re: Mark VI Arc Reactor/Mark VI Build (Pic Heavy)

try some flexbond. I found quite a few people use here.It worked for me. great work.

are you just pulling it off yourself or is it coming off after you paint it?

as in, when you flex the part, is it peeling right off?

The trick I found with glue-ish type products as sealers is you might need to dilute it with water so that the glue water mixture actually soaks into the foam and dries inside the pores of the foam. then adding more layers on top of that.

Adding a straight layer of pva will just leave a seal on the surface.
The Foam will just resist the glue from entering pores as it's too thick.
I only had one coat of sealer on mine and then painted just to get it done in time for halloween.

I didn't use any plasti-dip or anything fancy as I knew I was going to ruin this suit later dancing in it for the video. So I didn't want to spend too much on painting it.

I didn't go peeling at it but If I did. I'm sure it was going to peel off.

Last edited:

try some flexbond. I found quite a few people use here.It worked for me. great work.
Yea I heard it works well too. Its just pretty dang expensive and not readily available in store. If all else fails I'll probably give it a go. Thanks for the advice.

are you just pulling it off yourself or is it coming off after you paint it?

as in, when you flex the part, is it peeling right off?
Well when I flexed the part I could tell something was up because the paint kinda looked like cloth over a hard surface.

The krylon didn't crack but there was a lifted corner and I had the urge to pick at it, kinda like when you want to pick at a scab, and it started peeling off.

The duplicolor did crack at over a 45 degree angle. The cracked areas were lifting up so I grabbed it and it also peeled right off.

I prepped 2 other pieces tonight to paint tomorrow. One is tacky glue and the other is shoe goo on a larger piece this time. Hopefully one of these will work. I'll try straight plasti dip too and see how that goes.

Idk if its just me but the red plasti dip doesn't seem to go on as well as my previous experience with black. Probably just me though.

the thing with the glue method is that it's a low cost solution.
To build a cool costume with a low material cost. It's going to have cons for sure.

if you can get plasti-dip. You won't that have that peeling problem since it bonds well to the foam.

Yeah, people have been talking about flexbond as well. You could give that a try.

David, these dudes have Plasti-Dip in Sac;

Capitol Ace Hardware
1815 I ST
SACRAMENTO
(916) 446-5246

David, these dudes have Plasti-Dip in Sac;

Capitol Ace Hardware
1815 I ST
SACRAMENTO
(916) 446-5246

Thanks. I have plasti dip already but I want to seal the foam before plasti dip so I don't need to do as many coats. I might have to go staring plasti dip though if I won't stick to the sealing layer.

Stealth is right Dabid, also if ya let th' platsidip fully cure an use more that one coat then us an adhesion promoter and then paint ya should be ok however use an automotive type paint it might work better hpe that helps ya but th' pva should be diluted with water so it soaks into th' foam bra.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back