coloring Alumilite Clear

Yes it does. Alumilite sells a line of resin dyes, but any brand should work. Alternatively, you can use universal powdered pigments, but it is a much bigger pain to evenly distribute them, and you often want to vacuum degas the resin afterwards.

I used food coloring in a pinch once. :confused

Now that I think of it, I made a nice faux blood (For Phantasm Spheres) w/ epoxy and red food coloring.

-Rylo

Does it take urethane dyes like Polytek's? Or do you have to use something else?

I used food coloring in a pinch once. :confused

Now that I think of it, I made a nice faux blood (For Phantasm Spheres) w/ epoxy and red food coloring.

-Rylo

Water based food coloring will work with epoxy and polyester resin, for urethanes it will create foaming...

For translucent dyes, it's one of the only Castin' Craft products I will use, Michael's and Hobby Lobby both carry Castin' Craft translucent dyes that will work fine with clear urethane... They are not that concentrated and weak drop for drop with Smooth On or Alumilite tints but you can get them in a pinch... Hobby Lobby also carries Alumilite pigments in their little Alumilite display...

I've used food coloring w/ Alumilite clear on thin open-faced molds with no problems at all.

Now, I'm not suggesting it and agree it's best to stick w/ the proper goods, but it worked for me in a pinch.

Just call up Alumilite and ask for Carol. She'll hook you up!

Water based food coloring will work with epoxy and polyester resin, for urethanes it will create foaming...

For translucent dyes, it's one of the only Castin' Craft products I will use, Michael's and Hobby Lobby both carry Castin' Craft translucent dyes that will work fine with clear urethane... They are not that concentrated and weak drop for drop with Smooth On or Alumilite tints but you can get them in a pinch... Hobby Lobby also carries Alumilite pigments in their little Alumilite display...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back