American Horror Story

Just started watching it and am half way into season two.
Wow...season one was amazing. Really amazing...but what was up with the last two episodes? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Season two is meh....but has gotten more interesting after the Santa Clause dude's scenes. Hoping the rest of the season is better though.

Oh and ummm,...so who's making a 1:1 replica of the maid from season one? My wife was asking, honest. :angel

David

Enjoy it while you can because the writing goes so terribly sideways (after season 2) it's unwatchable at this point.

The gratuitousness attempts at shocker moments are nothing more than boring political affirmations and hole fillers. Yeah, we get it; you're edgy and progressive...lobster boy is going to digitally please bored housewives so take that middlle class america!! :rolleyes

I can picture these guys in their writing sessions. They're gonna **** when they see this, giggle, giggle.

Shame. The show started off strong, but after 4 seasons of the same recycled players it's like a Saturday Night Live skit that's run too long. Just falls flat.

I don't think it's terrible, but they've never managed to hit the highs of Season 1.

With Season 2, it's...good...but then things get weird. Not bad, necessarily, just...weird. I found it to be less "horrific" to be honest.

Season 3 had some viscerally disturbing moments, but also seemed to suffer from a more self-indulgent quality. Again, it's not bad per se, but it's just not what it could be.

Too early to tell with Season 4, although it's clear they're trying for the same kind of visually disturbing moments.

Really, I think the problem is that they don't understand what made the show take off in the first place. What made Season 1 really work so incredibly well. It wasn't the outlandish, fantastical aspects. Those were merely accents to an otherwise solid story about the real horrors that Americans visit upon each other regularly. The latex guy, the monsters in the attic, the school shooting, etc. All of these were terrifying more for their commonality, but as filtered through a prism of the fantastical.

By Season 2, though, the focus is on the prism, rather than the story itself, and so the genuine social commentary gets lost behind what was the accents of the show. Again, there's some really fine work done on the show, but I think they're focusing on the wrong aspect. This season, with its focus on the circus freak show, seems to veer even further in that direction. I'm sure we'll still see good stuff from the cast, fine performances, and disturbing moments, but it'll be those disturbing moments that are the real focus, rather than the humanity and its awfulness.

Alternatively, think about this: imagine if The Walking Dead ceased to focus on the survivors of the zombie holocaust and the human dramas visited upon them because of the circumstances surrounding them, and was just about a group of people wandering the land, killin' zombies, and occasionally being eaten themselves in gruesome ways. On paper it sounds awesome, but in practice, it'd become old hat pretty quickly. Kinda like playing non-stop Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2 in single player.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back