What kind of clay do you use to sculpt over styrofoam?

TylerHam

Hi All

If I wanted to make a larger prop, Like a creature head or something, I got to thinking about the logistics and I wanted to ask -

Styrofoam seems like a good base to start with, then add clay over the foam and sculpt until it looks right - But then what? I assume you cant bake the clay if there is Styrofoam in it (Like if you used sculpey)

Do you just use air-dry clay? Or do you just never fully bake or harden the clay, and you take a mold while its still uncured?

Thanks a ton!

Tyler

I use styrofoam all the time for bigger stuff. I use paper mache, mixes up like tuna salad, sands great and you can carve in details or ad them with epoxy clay.

DAS air dry has little to no shrinkage when it drys and I have used it over styrofoam/floral foam many times. Sculpey/heated clays usually shrink and I have almost always had them crack over time or right away when curing over a solid form.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back