Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

Re: Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget

Nope, no primer. I assume that would ruin the metal effect. You wouldn't see the metal grain through the paint. And, I think I'm going to go the route of industrial strength adhesive foam tape to hold the brackets to the back of the shield. I'm a bit worried about the shield flexing and popping the JB Weld off.

Haven't had any issues with the jb weld poping yet, and I even did a hand stand on the edge of my shield at dragoncon, lol. Much stronger than the foam tape. However, if your shield is steel, and the handle brackets are aluminum, Jb weld will pop right off if you leave in a hot car or something due the major thermal expansion difference in the two metals.

Painting has begun. First of all, the Duplicaolor Anodized paint (available at auto parts stores) are really fantastic products! I've just laid the red down tonight and the way the metal spinning texture shows through is great. The Photos look a little blotchy, but that's just the bad lighting in my workroom. The color's nice a smooth.

Blue tomorrow!

That paint is beautiful isn't it! Great job. Becareful with the blue, test it first, some cans come out way too light blue colored.

looking great man, cant wait to see the blue now :D

as for the foam tape, not a bad idea at all, hope it works out well for you. i was thinking about giving the JB Weld SteelStik a shot since it does all metals, should check into it, maybe its something that would help you out.

Haven't had any issues with the jb weld poping yet, and I even did a hand stand on the edge of my shield at dragoncon, lol. Much stronger than the foam tape. However, if your shield is steel, and the handle brackets are aluminum, Jb weld will pop right off if you leave in a hot car or something due the major thermal expansion difference in the two metals.

Good point on the metal differences Chris. My primary concern (and a difference with your shield) is the thinness and flexibility of the sled. From what I hear you're is much more rigid. Mine has some flex. I think the tape will accommodate that better.

This is awesome. I like you was looking for a budget solution you have inspired me to give it a try!
keep updating :)

This is the mounting tape I'm going to use. It;s impervious to moisture and ridiculously strong. I'm using it for two reasons. One, I believe it will conform to the varying curves of the sled well. And two, The sled it thin and has some flex. I've experienced some JB Weld failure when there is little but two flat surface for it to latch onto.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/3M-...m=Product Search&utm_campaign=Google Products

And here is the source I'm going to use for the leather. By far the cheapest. I figure one 84-inch long piece will handle the entire shield harness.

http://www.outfitterssupply.com/Med...Leather-Straps-9-11-oz/productinfo/WLF405-MB/

Last edited:

Beautiful shield so far. Really dig the brushed effect on the metal. Just goes to show what you can do on a budget. Can't wait to see it all together!

Painting has begun. First of all, the Duplicaolor Anodized paint (available at auto parts stores) are really fantastic products! I've just laid the red down tonight and the way the metal spinning texture shows through is great. The Photos look a little blotchy, but that's just the bad lighting in my workroom. The color's nice a smooth.

Blue tomorrow!

Wow, that looks great, what specific colors are you using, I love the dark blood red. Cant wait to see what the blue comes out and then you have that crisp star to add. Manoman, it will be sweet. Thanks for the links. Ill have to check them out friday. Keep us posted, great stuff man.

Painting the blue as I type ... well, kinda. Attached are some schematics to help with building the bracket assembly on the back. The small clip image is to scale. The larger piece is also to scale but also has dimensions to help if you can't print it full size.

Attachments

• bracket.jpg
    bracket.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 2,279
  • fullassembly.jpg
    fullassembly.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 2,602

Okay, blue is done. You know, THIS is why I joined the RPF. My wife and kids are asleep upstairs and I need someone to show how cool this looks RIGHT NOW with someone who will be equally impressed.

Seriously, this anodized paint is stunning. Even without clearcoat it's beautiful. FYI, the colors are just called Anodized Red and Anodized Blue. The blue has a nice range where it almost looks black in shadow and then just gleams in the highlight areas.

The star is just sitting on it, I'll glue her down after the clearcoat.

I'll share the leather work next week when I get the materials.

that looks absolutely amazing Valor, i love it. also thank you very much for posting the schemaics for the brackets, that was very awesome of you. if/when i decide to do a bracket on the back more movie version style, would you mind if i use those schematics?

LOL i was the same way when i got my shield back from paint, i was so excited i bothered my neighbors next door just to show it to them... haha

that looks absolutely amazing Valor, i love it. also thank you very much for posting the schemaics for the brackets, that was very awesome of you. if/when i decide to do a bracket on the back more movie version style, would you mind if i use those schematics?

LOL i was the same way when i got my shield back from paint, i was so excited i bothered my neighbors next door just to show it to them... haha

You're welcome. That's why I shared the files. Go for it:)

You're welcome. That's why I shared the files. Go for it:)

Thank you very much, i can't wait to see the leather! also the tape you're using says it has a max load of 5lbs, is that about the weight of the sled?

Last edited:

Damn, simply amazing. Im going to the autoparts place today, Ive seen that brand before. How long did you wait to let the red dry before you tackled the blue? Im thinking a day maybe? Also, you mention clear coat, is that come in the same brand sprayer that you are using or is there something specific you are going to use? I know absolute squat abouit paint. This part tho, I want to tackle myself. Thanks for putting up the schematics. I plan on hunting for some hardware today that was mentioned previously in this thread, like the clips, fasteners etc. Wow, simply amazing, I may have to do this just to have an extra shield.

Did you use any prep spray? Just curious.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back