Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

We'll I'm getting ready to paint and I'm rely scared. Do you think a tent would be necessary to block out the dust, is it necessary to use an air brush, and do you have to remove the tape before the paint compleatly dries so that it doesn't peel of with the tape, and finally can some one tell me a good coating pattern like how many thin or thick coats.:unsure

Wait a good 24 hours before removing the tape, or the paint will come off. An airbrush is probably not necessary, just do light successive coats.

Got the front of my shield finished, just gotta add the rivets to the star! 20140916_215148.jpg

I don't know how in depth you can go with masking but is there a way to tell by sight if the masking is on well enough so the paint doesn't seep underneath?

I just made sure it was pressed down as good as I could. I got a couple of little bleeds, but they were easy to clean up. Also got some tape residue, but was easy to clean as well.

Oh

and btw how can i make sure that dust can't get on it cuz some one was telling me that I'll need to make a rig to make it cure up side down or make a tent.

Read through the whole post. Very creative. Whats the strategy for creating perfect rings? Use the center holed and a string perhaps?

Exactly. I actually used a thin strip of metal that extended from the center hole. I measured the distance for each ring and drilled a hole in the metal arm. Then stuck a pencil in the hole and spun it around the shield. Perfect circle. You can also stick the tip of a razor blade in the hole and cut a perfect circle into masking tape for painting.

I have a question about the leather straps on the back, I followed everything pretty closely but for some reason the straps always feel loose and like they're sliding around. Is yours the same way and if not, how did you deal with it. Could you also post a shot of the buckles undone so we can see how they're put together? The Conway buckles have this large spike in the center and for some reason it's kind of uncomfortable when it digs into my arm.

I cut the spikes off with a hack saw. The leather takes a little trial and error to get things snug.

I cut the spikes off with a hack saw. The leather takes a little trial and error to get things snug.
Awesome, thanks another quick question.how did you form the brackets to the shape of the shield? I got some 1/8" aluminum and cut them out but there is no flex at all.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back