Delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP!!!!

Hey guys I have ran into a serious problem with the construction. I am trying to construct the shins and I'm noticing that some of the parts are not lining up correctly and are leaving me with parts that are lop-sided and have large gaps that cannot be connected without 2nd guessing/ jurry rigging parts to fill the gaps. Is this a problem with the actual templates, is there something missing or is this just my n00bish ineptitude that keeps me from doing this? This has created days of fustration for me with almost all of the parts and have considered quiting this project serveral times (I guess I'm a glutton for punishment). I have seen countless pictures where people doing this have created gorgious works of art (you know who you are), and the perfectionist within me is driving me insane becuase I cant seem to get that result no matter how hard I try. Please help me what can I do to get this to come together and not have to keep guessing and driving myself crazy. I've included my progess of the shins so you guys can see where it stands.

Re: Robo3687 - IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

In Pepakura Designer, you can import files (File - Import File (*PDO)) to view a whole bunch at the same time. That's how i've been working out positioning of the chest, brace, collar and back. I have noticed that the foam templates for the back and chest occupy the same place though, so you have to have the original robo files to view them in their correct positions.

ok so I did this but ran into a problem when I import the back piece. it appears to have the back piece overlap the chest piece. See below pic. how do I fix this when importing the PDO?

thx

importpdo.jpg

Re: Robo3687 - IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

Is there a different file out for the abs? How is everyone doing the 3 main ab pieces as one piece?

When you cut the templates out take a look in pepakura to see what pieces connect already so you have less seams
Then yoiu just stick youre cut out pieces and draw them on the foam as one big piece

I hope this helped you

Re: HELP!!!!

Hey guys I have ran into a serious problem with the construction. I am trying to construct the shins and I'm noticing that some of the parts are not lining up correctly and are leaving me with parts that are lop-sided and have large gaps that cannot be connected without 2nd guessing/ jurry rigging parts to fill the gaps. Is this a problem with the actual templates, is there something missing or is this just my n00bish ineptitude that keeps me from doing this? This has created days of fustration for me with almost all of the parts and have considered quiting this project serveral times (I guess I'm a glutton for punishment). I have seen countless pictures where people doing this have created gorgious works of art (you know who you are), and the perfectionist within me is driving me insane becuase I cant seem to get that result no matter how hard I try. Please help me what can I do to get this to come together and not have to keep guessing and driving myself crazy.QUOTE]

This happened to me early in the game...:sick I was doing Robos boot as a first attempt.
Is your printer telling you that some items are off scale or wont fit the page? and is asking if you want to resize/adjust images to fit??? Mine did that, it was an HP Desk Jet....if you answer "Yes" all the pieces come out different sizes..:cry They look right, but come out all crizazy...:wacko The answer is "NO" you DO NOT want to adjust to fit!:cool
Stangely, my new Canon printer never has done that???
M

Last edited:

"This happened to me early in the game...:sick I was doing Robos boot as a first attempt.
Is your printer telling you that some items are off scale or wont fit the page? and is asking if you want to resize/adjust images to fit??? Mine did that, it was an HP Desk Jet....if you answer "Yes" all the pieces come out different sizes..:cry They look right, but come out all cazy...:wacko The answer is "NO" you DO NOT want to adjust to fit!:cool
Stangely, my new Canon printer never has done that???"

My printer does ask and I've always said not since that was something covered earlier in this thread. I've gotten almost all of the upper body with little problems its the legs and feet that are giving me hell in general. Im seriously thinking im doing something wrong

My first attempt at a helmet. Pretty happy with myself, thought it was going to be harder. Took aroun 6 hours give or take. Fits perfect and very happy with it. Next up plasti-dip, prime and paint....:cry

My printer does ask and I've always said not since that was something covered earlier in this thread. I've gotten almost all of the upper body with little problems its the legs and feet that are giving me hell in general. Im seriously thinking im doing something wrong

Looking at your pics, it just looks like you need to force that piece down over the gap. Here's a pic of my shin:

vqSEU.jpg
kBVYW.jpg

I basically just glued where the mountain seams touched on both parts, then went around it again and glued the rest down. Does that make sense? My coffee hasn't kicked in yet...

I think you just need to force it to fill the gap, unless its causing it to warp too much or something. I found the shins and thighs to be the most challenging parts by far.

Small update: A finish line within sight!
M5uyr.jpg

Is it preferred to scale these pics down more?

No. Large, glorious pictures are great. Although I prefer them to be small enough that I don't have to scroll sideways (I don't have to with these. These are good, IMO).

Looking at your pics, it just looks like you need to force that piece down over the gap.

I basically just glued where the mountain seams touched on both parts, then went around it again and glued the rest down. Does that make sense? My coffee hasn't kicked in yet...

I think you just need to force it to fill the gap, unless its causing it to warp too much or something. I found the shins and thighs to be the most challenging parts by far.

I will agree the legs have been a total nightmare. I ended up dismembering the lower part of the shin and got it to fit, I really dont want to do the other one but dammit all I must. Thanks for clearing that up.

ok so I did this but ran into a problem when I import the back piece. it appears to have the back piece overlap the chest piece. See below pic. how do I fix this when importing the PDO?

thx

importpdo.jpg

Anyone??

skinny provided you the answer:

In Pepakura Designer, you can import files (File - Import File (*PDO)) to view a whole bunch at the same time. That's how i've been working out positioning of the chest, brace, collar and back. I have noticed that the foam templates for the back and chest occupy the same place though, so you have to have the original robo files to view them in their correct positions.

search this forum to get the original ROBO files

Hey guys I have ran into a serious problem with the construction. I am trying to construct the shins and I'm noticing that some of the parts are not lining up correctly and are leaving me with parts that are lop-sided and have large gaps that cannot be connected without 2nd guessing/ jurry rigging parts to fill the gaps. Is this a problem with the actual templates, is there something missing or is this just my n00bish ineptitude that keeps me from doing this? This has created days of fustration for me with almost all of the parts and have considered quiting this project serveral times (I guess I'm a glutton for punishment). I have seen countless pictures where people doing this have created gorgious works of art (you know who you are), and the perfectionist within me is driving me insane becuase I cant seem to get that result no matter how hard I try. Please help me what can I do to get this to come together and not have to keep guessing and driving myself crazy. I've included my progess of the shins so you guys can see where it stands.

Like others have said, i have found the legs to be the more difficult parts. What i have done is looked at the 3D files before i cut out my pieces. The particular pieces you are having trouble with in your photos, i left extra foam at the top, then glued it as close as i could get to the traced line. Not exact, but it still looks fine.

Took me only two days to complete, could have done better on the paint and some details but I'm on a time crunch now.

Um...that's pretty awesome.

... :)

Um...that's pretty awesome.

... :)

saw your war machine armor on youtube. man oh man how awesome it looks, this is my first build. Going to try and make one after halloween is over. i'm trying to make patriotic suits, next up might be a s. korea armor.

Anyone have tips on the shins and thighs. These are proving to be the most difficult pieces to build out.

Below are the two areas that I'm having difficulty with on the thighs. These are making the thigh to be rectangular in shape (not round), and no amount of heat gunning the pieces to form them is helping.

legsao.jpg

Anyone have tips on the shins and thighs. These are proving to be the most difficult pieces to build out.

Below are the two areas that I'm having difficulty with on the thighs. These are making the thigh to be rectangular in shape (not round), and no amount of heat gunning the pieces to form them is helping.

legsao.jpg
?? Not sure what your doing wrong unless your not cutting the angles on the thigh peaces, other then that i never used a heat gun for my armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back