Delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Robo3687 - IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

In Pepakura Designer, you can import files (File - Import File (*PDO)) to view a whole bunch at the same time. That's how i've been working out positioning of the chest, brace, collar and back. I have noticed that the foam templates for the back and chest occupy the same place though, so you have to have the original robo files to view them in their correct positions.

Cool. Didnt know that! Would you be able to post or send me a PDO of those pieces assembled in Pepakura Designer??

On a side note, I finished my cod piece.. And realized its not big enough around for my rear end!! I added some extensions to the back of it and I can get into it now but its really tight. Its a shame too cuz I dont wanna scrap and rebuild it :(

Re: Robo3687 - IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

So many great suits here! I've been trolling this thread for a while now and finally decided to take my shot at it. This is my first cosplay and I hope it turns out as good as the ones I've seen here!

So far I've just mocked up the helmet in paper to see if I need to scale it. Turns out I did need to increase the size a bit. Two more mock-ups later and I should be good to print the cardstock templates and get foaming!

paper_ironman.jpg

Totally thought that was a brain under your helmet. Good job, keep up the good work!

First want to say thanks to stealth, Dancin Fool, AND Juice for posting the files. I'm almost done with my suit in time for Halloween. I tried using the chicago screws but found them to thin and small, so i bought some doll joints from hobby lobby and to be honest they work allot better.
robo3687-iron-man-mark-4-6-pepakura-560419_10151038007927665_1460475920_n.jpg-115232d1348617640

oh come on man...that is just too cool!

I love it...I really dig that Iron Patriot look

...and I'm Canadian... heh

So many types of foam out there! Guess I'll go with some 2-3mm stuff for the helmet. Does anyone have a particular brand and/or place I should get foam stateside? I've heard Michael's, but what about online retailers? We don't have a big selection here and it'd be nice to buy it in bulk. ^_^

I've looked into the interlocking gym mat stuff but I'd ideally like something that's smooth on both sides.

I'm to the point where I am painting some of my parts. I have noticed that after the foam is sealed and painted some of the "powder" residue will come off when handled is there a particular type of paint or clear coat that I should be using?

Last edited:

So many types of foam out there! Guess I'll go with some 2-3mm stuff for the helmet. Does anyone have a particular brand and/or place I should get foam stateside? I've heard Michael's, but what about online retailers? We don't have a big selection here and it'd be nice to buy it in bulk. ^_^

I've looked into the interlocking gym mat stuff but I'd ideally like something that's smooth on both sides.

Pep boys has awesome foam for only 20 bucks. I only had to buy 2 so it was around 40, perfect thickness. I used 3mm for my gloves and the rest is the roll of foam from pep boys. for boots i used the one i got from wal-mart for the gym floor which is thicker.

oh come on man...that is just too cool!

I love it...I really dig that Iron Patriot look

...and I'm Canadian... heh

thanks a bunch man seriously thank you. i was worried how i was going to do the light but it was simple i actually glued the batteries on top of the glove with a wire in the inside. i'll post more pics. i just create a housing unit so all i have to do is take out one battery to turn off same with my chest peace. allot of people do wires i did that for my storm trooper but it was a pain.

I used 6mm plastazote foam and I have some 2 mm for the hands but the rest is 12mm Eva foam. Plastazote is good stuff and smooth both sides but it costs a fair bit...

Cool. Didnt know that! Would you be able to post or send me a PDO of those pieces assembled in Pepakura Designer??

Sorry, no can do. I don't have a password so i can't save anything. I just open it and import files as i need them every time i work on it.

First want to say thanks to stealth, Dancin Fool, AND Juice for posting the files. I'm almost done with my suit in time for Halloween. I tried using the chicago screws but found them to thin and small, so i bought some doll joints from hobby lobby and to be honest they work allot better.

Armynavy - awesome job on Iron Patriot!

Phil. - I figure as long as your foam pieces fit together well (and fit you!) you're good with anything from 2 to 10mm. You'll find lots of posts in this thread on foam thickness people have used. I've used a mix of 3 and 6 mm foam for my helmet (3mm on the faceplate). For the rest of the suit I used a mix of 2, 3, and 6mm; all Darice "Foamies", which I found at JoAnn's crafts. It's smooth on both sides.

Sorry, no can do. I don't have a password so i can't save anything. I just open it and import files as i need them every time i work on it.

ahh. ok. I will see what I can do with it since I have the designer..

mk4a.jpg

learning as i go...its been challenging getting it to fit right while keeping proportion. scaling up 10% actually ddnt help much since im just 5'11'' but have a 20'' neck and 19'' arms and 38'' waist. ive resorted to adding panels like demolition did. im using really thick foam foam to so its been a p.i.t.a to make this thing. ddnt get the chest or the forearm right. build tips and or advice appreciated...
mk4b.jpg

Thanks for the advice! My local JoAnn's has plenty of Foamies in stock (and on sale, yay!) and I think I'll give them a go. I don't really want to use the interlocking mat route if I can avoid it With any luck I'll have my first helmet put together tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Aha just realised your only from Retford, Better not be coming out in Mansfield around the halloween time, that would be awkward!
haha yeah would be very awkward....if your suit is better than mine then i'm staying in retford :lol:lol

And no the gold never affected the finish to the red mate...just made mine a slightly deeper colour which is what i wanted

Wasup everyone !!!!

Thank you guys so much for all the hard work making these tutorial and template for us to use.
Im a newbie in props but decided to give it try and post my progress.
Ok so Im using Blue floor mat from Canadian Tire, I started with Chest and back then abs and cod.

Then I tried the arms but with the MK 7 forarms still have the detailing to do but that will be only when my suit is complete I used the attaching system that STEALTH give in his tutorial ( chigago screws, washers and reinforced with fiberglass resin

Then for the abs section I decided to try something so I use PLASTIDIP very very very Hard to find in Montreal anyways then a thine layer of FiberGlass resin in the front and sides where it still flexes alot and in the back a very thick layer to get the bottom curve then some light sanding and priming with red vinyl and tissu paint to allow a little flex.

Then I took my chest piece and decided to cut up some platic to give the front a very nice effect, Now I still have some sanding to do before priming and painting I also want to do some moving flaps in the back.

Then I did the left and right thighs

Then i had to try the helmet so i did default scale as all my other parts but ended up just a barely fit but not enough to to the faceplate hinges

All credits to creators tell me what you guys think up to know

Last edited:

Is there a different file out for the abs? How is everyone doing the 3 main ab pieces as one piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back