Delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Robo3687 - IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

got the neck and chest templates done and gonna pick up some foam tomorrow. gonna try michaels craft store or lowes.

Re: Robo3687 - IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

I am new to this stuff,
and Am trying to Download the designs..
What are the files downloaded into?

I am getting an error everytime I try to dl.

Thanks!

Ok got some foam at target. Its 1/2" interlocking squares. I just wasted a whole sheet because i can't find the right way to cut it straight. The exacto knife doesnt go all the way through and if i try to cut a second time i cut in a different spot. This sucks. Any tips for cutting this stuff?

Exacto knife not go all the way?

What exacto knife are you using? Any regular exacto knife goes right through fine, for the 1/2 EVA Foam. It can even go through the 3/8th " thick ones as well.

Tips:
Cutting mat. GEt one that can cover a decent size. I bought one that covers my entire dining room table

Make sure that the cutting area is at least waist high to you. Its best if you are standing while cutting because you can get a "straight down view" of your foam.

Insert your exacto straight down while cutting. With even pressure, follow your template lines to cut. Do not lean your knife, as this creates the slant edges you may see.

Replace your blade every so often, as it can get dull very quickly.

Many here swear by hot knives/exact knives. I find the normal exactos to work fine.

Thats what i have /tried. Its easier said than done lol

The edges come out jagged.

Last edited:

Thats what i have /tried. Its easier said than done lol

The edges come out jagged.

I'll be posting something within the next day or two that I hope helps everyone. Stay tuned. :love

I had to get a thinner foam. Eva. Works great!

The extra glue that oozes out of the seams when building the suit, whats the easiest way to remove it?

The extra glue that oozes out of the seams when building the suit, whats the easiest way to remove it?

The best way is still not have glue ooze out.
Here's some tips

1) apply hot glue on the length of the joint u want to attach.

2) slant the glue gun tip, using the side of the hot metal surface, spread the glue along the length so that there no blob of glue. Just a layer of it.
Not too thin or it might not be strong enough

3) meet the outer seams first. Once in place, sandwich the inner seams.
This can reduce or even eliminate the chances of glue oozing out to the outer seams.

4)if there's still oozing, use the top of your finger nails to act like a scrape and scrape along the seams. Note: only for small Amt of glue or your fingers might get burnt. Alternatively, using the side of a scissors can help.

I am almost done with my "Iron Huskie" a red/black Mark VI for my school's colors (Northern Illinois University). Thanks Stealth, your videos helped a ton! :)

i heard you can sand the extra glue?? im gonna try an orbital sander and see how that works. does anyone have any experience with the plastic cote stuff??

my progress so far...

2012-09-09_19-06-00_576.jpg

2012-09-09_19-41-52_727.jpg

I'm going to build one of these too. Looks like fun! How much would I need to scale the files to fit me ( I am 5'6") and which files do I need to scale? sorry I completely new to this :confused

Well im the same size. I used the default chest size and it fits. Thats as far as i got

Re: Robo3687's IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

they are scaled for a 6 foot tall person... Mark VIII your suit will be freaking huge on you, or at least thats the prevailing opinion...
use 23ish

Hi Gregchick1 - from the short time of lurking and absorbing information form this amazing forum adding 4 inches to each piece is going to make the armour excessively tall. You need to add 4 inches in total - so to adjust the overall scale to accomodate your height: the 6 foot scale is 25.411754 on my robo3687 files so divided that by 72 inches (6 feet) and then times by 76 inches (6'4 - your height) and a calcluated scale of 26.823518 is a better guestimate of adjustment.

If i am completely off I am sure one of the nice more experienced builders here will correct me.

Your lithe like build is too your advantage with the build you more than likely only need to concider the height variable - As a well built 6 footer I am having to work out where to add shims into the armour pieces to accommodate the extra girth of my chest legs and arms.

Good luck with the build and wow - a marathon in a full suit after the swim and cycle that's crazy but awesome.

P.S. The search function is your friend...

STEALTH you are a legend, thankyou so so so much for the opportunity for me to create these files for my kids. I'm new to all this and i've watched all your tutorials on youtube which was a great help, i now feel like i'm in the presence of a celebrity lol
Thanks again and keep it up :)

these are really good files. i am using them to make a mark vi.

Here's some progress on my first build ever! Not the neatest or best looking one, but it won't be my last build!
IMG_20120910_232516.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back