Delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Robo3687's IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

Well I guess that depends on how and where the foam is textured. Stealth and I use the same foam which has texture on one side. So when we use it we make sure to have texture side in and smooth side out. But if you have texture on both sides it may be hard to get that smooth surface. Hard to say without see what the foam your using looks like.

ok i will post a picture tomorrow of the foam thx goodnight

Re: Robo3687's IRON MAN Mark 4/6 Pepakura FOAM Templates -Easy to Build "Green" Versi

Ok, so I recently finished my pep'd out helmet... Then I applied resin, and finally the bondo... it turned out into a disaster. It was disproportionately big and looked like a painted rock...

So I printed out these foam peps of the helmet yesterday and finished it today. It turned out way better than I expected!
I used 6mm foam

Ts8joFvOzO9cPBGBFOgyHw
IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

I also, for some odd reason, did the arms out of cardboard and messed those up pretty bad too. So I'm redoing them in foam tomorrow.

I show pics of the messed up helmet and arms tomorrow. You guys might have an idea on how to save them :love

nFp6-cKPusaFdjShvVdarA

nFp6-cKPusaFdjShvVdarA

Really nice Helmet Vinny. :)

Fantastic Stuff guys!! Its really motivated me to get into gear and start on my own one now!!

My son wants to add this to his collection. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the files Stealth!

I want to try this also, but my questions are first how much foam do i get? it's available at my local Kmart in 46x93 inch sheets. and as a hardener to prep for paint, a guy at a local body shop recommended epoxy putty, which can be smoothed by hand, no sanding needed. and it's supposed to dry rock solid and be extremely light weight as well. what do you guys think?

here's a link to the foam
Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com

I want to try this also, but my questions are first how much foam do i get? it's available at my local Kmart in 46x93 inch sheets. and as a hardener to prep for paint, a guy at a local body shop recommended epoxy putty, which can be smoothed by hand, no sanding needed. and it's supposed to dry rock solid and be extremely light weight as well. what do you guys think?

here's a link to the foam
Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com
Edit: As far as amount. I finished the chest, back, biceps, forearms, and shins so far and I'm down to a 1-2ft strip. I did slightly scale mine up though since Im 6'2. I will need to get more to finish thighs, abs, and boots. (but not much more)
Yup that foam is just fine. Stealth and myself use it. Here's what it looks like when used for a Mark VI
IMG_20111022_205757.jpg

As far as the epoxy putty I have not used it but i am looking for something to smooth out seams. It sounds like that might work. You should do some tests with it. I was going to try wood filler (haven't done it yet) but I'm waiting til my suit is complete.

Why would you want your Foam suit solid? Foam is about sealing and painting for flexibility. Not strengthening.

Why would you want your Foam suit solid? Foam is about sealing and painting for flexibility. Not strengthening.
Oh i didn't catch that he wanted to harden the whole thing.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I had originally tried the traditional pep method with the resin, bondo, etc. Let's just say I hate sanding. Despite this being a long term project (my goal is for C2E2 and ACen in spring), I wanted to keep the costs down and looked around for alternative methods and found this thread. And it's getting close to winter here in the Chicago area, (even though we're having some strangely nice weather lately) so outdoor work will be out of the question and I find this method to be perfect for me.

Thanks to Robo, Stealth, Indie and many others who have made and modified these files as well as posted their progress. It has been nothing short of inspiring and informative. I scrapped the helmet (for the fourth time..) The leg pieces were the biggest pain as they took me five days to do. Currently attaching the arm and leg pieces. Hand and feet to go. Then all the electronics. Then the real fun begins with the sealing, plasti-dip, primer, paint, weathering, etc, etc. Oh yeah, attempt number five on the helmet.

Without further adieu:

I should have been more specific, I don't want to harden the whole suit, just high stress areas, like elbows, knees, feet. and to possibly fill in the seams, if I can't get the glue to sit properly. Im just in awe at all that you guys have done. it's simply amazing, andI want to take a stab at it, but to do it as good as I can.

I totally agree with what you want to do. Makes sense to me :)

Hey infymys, I'm from the Chicago area as well. How hilarious would it be if we ended in the same place with the exact same suit. Haha

LOL. Yah, I'm in the NW burbs. My ultimate goal is to have this done and something else for C2E2 and ACen in April. But, I have small hopes for Kollision Con next month if I go.

I havent even painted the suit yet but I'm confident that I'll have it done for this weekend.

Wrigleyville won't know what hit it!

EDIT:

Last edited:

inspiring WIPs guys. keep 'em coming...:thumbsup

'just a small update on my build... :$

6263707770_4d8c49f38b.jpg

6277183394_b4177239e1.jpg

6282348785_1e8c95cccc.jpg

6282057389_6e90d8e74a.jpg

cheers! :)

roy

Last edited:

inspiring WIPs guys. keep 'em coming...:thumbsup

'just a small update on my build... :$

6263707770_4d8c49f38b.jpg

6277183394_b4177239e1.jpg

6282057381_4e16cdf3ce.jpg

6282057389_6e90d8e74a.jpg

cheers! :)

roy
Looking really clean roy :thumbsup

lookin goooooooooooooooooood! can't wait to finish mine and show up to those renaissance fairs with the dudes with foam swords and video tape it.

that looks amazing roy....

thank you guys...:)
6282872618_919ffbc559.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back