Jurassic Park Falls

PHArchivist

Master Member
I'm going to Kauai in late November.

Apparently, there is only one helicopter tour outfit that actually lands at the falls, where you can approach on foot the site of the filming set.

Has anyone done this?

It will cost me a grand or more for my family of four to take the tour...

Would YOU do it?

That's a good chunk of change. It's a beautiful location but that's more than we've ever spent on one vacation in total. It might be worth it though depending on how much you like the movie.

I'd do it in a second! If you can afford it, and if your family will be as affected by it as you will be, that kind of experience is invaluable. Nothing like being there and feeling like you're in the story! What filming areas does that give you access to? Just the falls/copter site?

If it won't mean much to your family but it means a lot to you, is a dad-only excursion for part of a day out of the question?

What a cool opportunity! Take pics if you go!

- Douglas

I'd do it in a second! If you can afford it, and if your family will be as affected by it as you will be, that kind of experience is invaluable. Nothing like being there and feeling like you're in the story! What filming areas does that give you access to? Just the falls/copter site?

If it won't mean much to your family but it means a lot to you, is a dad-only excursion for part of a day out of the question?

What a cool opportunity! Take pics if you go!

- Douglas

I'm thinking a me-only trip may work, but my wife loves the film too, so may be a tough sell.

Tell you what - my biggest concern is that we are getting there via NCL cruise, and teh ship is at Kauai for two days during the week.

I haven't booked yet and am afraid they may be all booked, what with a boat load of folks on the island those two days.

I figure the can only manage 5-10 trips per day, so your talking 10-20 trips max while the ship is in port.

Instead of doing that Rob, take the kayak tour up the river where Indy swings into the water. It's a great hike and only like $40 each. I have done this tour twice.

Indiana%20Jones'%20Swing.JPG

Check on availability asap and book it if it's available if you're sure you want to do it. I know that in general, the best helicopter tours book up in advance. When I went to Hawaii years ago we weren't able to get some of the better helicopter tours because we didn't think about it until we got there. I did get to take a chopper tour of Oahu but not the Big Island like I wanted.

I got to ride shotgun and the view from the front seat was pretty breathtaking, particularly flying over Honolulu and Pearl Harbor. I bet Kauai would be spectacular even without the fact they used it in JP.

Never been there but in July I went to Maui and Oahu for my honeymoon. We did a helicopter tour of Maui and they did a few nice passes by the huge rock at the end of the movie. I didnt even know we would see it so it was a bonus.

244wea0.jpg

Then on Oahu we went to the big field were they are running in the field and the T-Rex comes, which is also the same area of Hurleys golf course in Lost. Ill post pics of that when I get home from work.

The price actually is pretty fair, compared to all the other ones on the various Islands. We paid $225 each for our tour of Maui. I would do it regardless of the movie setting, helicopter tours are fun.

Relly? They filmed off Maui? I didn't know that...

We have been to Kualoa (the T-Rex scene), but will return, this time better armed (with better cameras!). Its also the same spot where the ariel shots of godzilla's footprints are seen, plus used in Mighty Joe You, Pearl Harbor, etcetera. etcetera...

Never been there but in July I went to Maui and Oahu for my honeymoon. We did a helicopter tour of Maui and they did a few nice passes by the huge rock at the end of the movie. I didnt even know we would see it so it was a bonus.

244wea0.jpg

Then on Oahu we went to the big field were they are running in the field and the T-Rex comes, which is also the same area of Hurleys golf course in Lost. Ill post pics of that when I get home from work.

The price actually is pretty fair, compared to all the other ones on the various Islands. We paid $225 each for our tour of Maui. I would do it regardless of the movie setting, helicopter tours are fun.

I would and it is on my list the next time I go to Hawaii.

Don't know if I would take the family a friend of mine who went one time years ago said it was a rough ride when he went and both of us have logged thousands of hours in choppers.

I'm going to Kauai in late November.

Apparently, there is only one helicopter tour outfit that actually lands at the falls, where you can approach on foot the site of the filming set.

Has anyone done this?

It will cost me a grand or more for my family of four to take the tour...

Would YOU do it?

I drove by the "jurrasic park rock" on Maui. You can't see it very well from the road, but there are so many other amazing views. I didn't get a chance to go to Kuai, but I would see all of the Indiana Jones stuff there.

Its funny - I'm going blank on where (when) that is in the film...

The opening of Jurassic Park I know definitely, and going off of memory the last scene when the helicopter is leaving the island and you see the 2 pterodactyls flying over the rock

*Its been awhile since Ive seen the movie

The opening of Jurassic Park I know definitely, and going off of memory the last scene when the helicopter is leaving the island and you see the 2 pterodactyls flying over the rock

*Its been awhile since Ive seen the movie

Hmm... Always thought the opening fly-in was along the north coast of Kauai. Interesting!

Anyone know of the location of the Visitor's Center exterior set is accessible? Maybe on one of the bus tours...?

Hmm... Always thought the opening fly-in was along the north coast of Kauai. Interesting!

Anyone know of the location of the Visitor's Center exterior set is accessible? Maybe on one of the bus tours...?

Well it is located on the north coast but of Maui, if i recall they also show Puohokamoa Valley (which is the waterfall right next to the rock.

Keopuka Rock -- Sightseeing with Google Satellite Maps

Dunno if this helps but found this pic too haha
sq14xx.jpg

Last edited:
Brad, do you have contact info for that?

Here ya go brother: Kauai Kayak Tours with Wailua River Guides, Kayak to Secret Falls

On the tour, you can't get out and swing into the river (the swing is on private property) but I believe you can just rent the kayak and go on your own.

While you're there, if you can rent a car for the day and travel north, you will see the famous "Indiana Jones Mountain" at the beginning of Raiders. They call it "King Kong Mountain"

Does anyone have vacation pics of the landing site? If it can be afforded, I agree it would be a highlight destiantion of any movie buff.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back