Blade Runner gun - would it get through UK customs?

Y

your evil twin

I would love to get myself a 2019 Detective Special, Deckard's gun from Blade Runner. The thing... it rather obviously looks like a gun. And I live in the UK, where guns are a big no-no.

Now, in the case of a raygun or a Star Wars weapon, I do not think there would be much of a problem. It might cause a moment of suprise for the guy operating the X-ray machine, but if it is labelled as "Star Wars Sci-Fi Laser Replica" then it should be OK.

But the iconic weapon from Blade Runner... actually looks like a gun. In reality it could never actually work, it couldn't shoot anything. But you could probably pull it out in a bank and threaten people with it and they'd take you seriously.

Has anyone succesfully imported such a thing into the UK in the past few years? A Blade Runner pistol or some other replica gun that looks... gun-like?

It was easier in the past, but I think the laws on toys and replicas have become much tougher. My hope is that because it is not a replica of a real model of weapon, it is not restricted by the laws against replica weapons.

I've given up all hope of getting anything even remotely similar to a gun or weapon into the UK. Over the last three years I've had four packages confiscated or for whatever reason never reached the intended recipient.

You're better off getting it from someone in country.

Try to find a version that's sold as a kit, or in multiple, distinctly non-gun parts. If it looks like plastic, then they should hopefully let it through.

You can purchase a Rich Coyle blaster directly from PropsJohnny (if they're available). He's in the UK and as far as I recall acts as Rich's agent over there.

If you can't find him here, go over to Propsummit.

Good luck

MARK

I really feel for you collectors in these situations, the laws on this are total BS and I can imagine the frustration.

A few people have had them confiscated already. It is a crap shoot from what I hear. Also propsjohnnyb is MIA. Having it shipped in parts is helpful, or just finding one allready in the UK is best. I see them up for sale from there now and then. label it as "toy prop", and don't put gun in the description is also important. Other idea is talking to a airsoft importer, and seeing if they are willing to import it for you. They have special license to do so if my info is correct.

Good luck,
Andy

A few people have had them confiscated already. It is a crap shoot from what I hear. Also propsjohnnyb is MIA. Having it shipped in parts is helpful, or just finding one allready in the UK is best. I see them up for sale from there now and then. label it as "toy prop", and don't put gun in the description is also important. Other idea is talking to a airsoft importer, and seeing if they are willing to import it for you. They have special license to do so if my info is correct.

Good luck,
Andy

The recipient would have to belong to an airsoft association for it to be legal. That's not to say that you couldnt just join up to an airsoft association anyway. It's a hooot!
The only exemptions are if you
a) belong to a reenactment society
b) belong to an airsoft association
c) Work in the TV or Film industry (presumably as a prop person)

Other exemptions are on the weapons themselves in as much as if it is a replica of a weapon that pre-dates 1860 (it may be earlier, my memory fails me) such as a Le-mat revolver or such like.
Some folks have them sprayed bright colours to render it non realistic (to the reasonable person) but I'm not sure that is a guaranteed surefire method.

Bottom line, it's a bloomin nightmare and a damn shame

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back