Barney Fife Deputy Hat

cdrake

Hey everyone. I am starting a barney fife costume. So far I have found the patch and 2 great badges. This seems to be the closest shirt I could find.

Long Sleeve Sheriff Shirt Class A Uniforms & Accessories Warehouse - Security Uniforms, Law Enforcement Badges, Lightbars

I am primarily still trying to find the same style deputy hat that he wears in tan/khaki. I keep finding ones that are only in available in black or navy blue.

Does anyone know where I might could find that style hat?

mayberry_desktop_theme-14848-11.jpeg

Thanks!

Carey

sorry..What section should it be in since I can't post in WTB?

Here is another good picture I found for the hat/shirt.
271629.jpg

Not many costume guys will see your post in the studio scale section. How about posting it in the replica costumes section?

Barney's cap looks very similar to a WWII "Crusher" cap which came with either a brown or black visor: I found this replica that might help:

Reproduction 50 Mission Crush Cap (Tan)

His belt looks to be a Bucheimer black leather police holster and there's one on ebay now: Vintage Bucheimer Black Leather Police Holster & Belt | eBay

The badge for the hat and uniform can be purchased at Blackington's: http://www.blackinton.com/home/product_pricelist.aspx?style=A6231&submit=Get+Price

http://www.blackinton.com/home/product_pricelist.aspx?style=B29&submit=Get+Price

Good luck!

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help or not, but I live in North Carolina and about an hour away is a small town called Mt. Airy. It is supposedly the town that they modeled Mayberry/Mt. Pilot after. So the whole town now is a Mayberry 'tribute/tourist gimmick' town. There are numerous gift shops along the main drag selling gift items with Barney, Andy and Mayberry themes. You might find a hat there. Just try a Google search. Hell, as small as it is, you could probably call the town hall and ask them,

I have sourced most of the pieces for the costume. Here is a list if anyone is interested.

- Barney Fife Hat
I found a guy named Greg who creates replica police hats like the one worn by barney fife. Notice the tan elastic band around the hat matches the hat barney wore. Unfortunately he can no longer find a source for the tan elastic to match the fabric and is currently using black elastic. He tells me he is looking for a new source. He also includes the Deputy patch that goes on the shirt with a hat order. PM me if you are interested.
1fkdvn.jpg

- Shirt and Pants
The closest match I could find were 5.11 Tactical Class A or B Uniform Pants and long sleeve shirt. The color is called "silver tan". Sadly the color has been discontinued but you can still find the shirt and pants on ebay and from a few vendors online. Normal Khaki pants will not work for the costume because you need an extra wide belt loop for the utility belt. Pants also come unhemmed so you only need to find the correct waist size. The shirt also has a spot made specifically to place the badge.

2jcxc8z.png

20qb8ep.png

The pants/shirt do not need to be exactly the same color as the hat.

- Badges

As RangerAndy pointed out Blackington makes great badges for the chest and hat. Below are links to the badges. The badges are Nickel.
http://www.blackinton.com/home/produ...bmit=Get+Price
http://www.blackinton.com/home/produ...bmit=Get+Price

If you are pressed for time or cannot locate a blackington vendor nearby there is also a vendor that has pre-purchased customized blackington badges called starpacker badges.

Here is a pic of my badges.
1y4w9h.jpg

This pic makes them look a little bronze but they are both nickel.
8xugp2.jpg

I will update the thread with information about his
- Belt, Utility Belt and Accessories and Holster soon.

- Shirt and Pants

The closest match I could find were 5.11 Tactical Class A or B Uniform Pants and long sleeve shirt. The color is called "silver tan". Sadly the color has been discontinued but you can still find the shirt and pants on ebay and from a few vendors online. Normal Khaki pants will not work for the costume because you need an extra wide belt loop for the utility belt. Pants also come unhemmed so you only need to find the correct waist size. The shirt also has a spot made specifically to place the badge.

The pants/shirt do not need to be exactly the same color as the hat.

I'm glad you found a suitable hat. I looked for one at several uniform hat retailers, but couldn't find one. I would like to know where you found one.

As for the shirts, I don't think you need to go with 5.11 shirts, but the one you've found looks pretty good. Silver Tan is a pretty popular color and I think most uniform companies like Blauer, Fetchheimer, and Elbeco produce shirts and pants in that color. One thing I noticed about Barney's shirt is that it doesn't have scalloped pocket flaps or military creases, while most uniform shirts do. Barney's shirt, like the 5.11 shirt, has pointed pocket flaps.

One thing you don't have listed, but sort of mentioned when referring to the pants was a duty belt. You can wear regular khaki pants since the duty belt is attaced to the underbelt with belt keepers, and not actually threaded throught the belt loops. Of course, uniform pants usually have more robust belt loops that are designed to carry the additional weight of a duty belt.

The duty belt Barney wears appears to be a standard black leather belt with a basketweave pattern. I he carried a Colt Official Police revolver in a swivel holster. While he usually carried his "Barney bullet" in his pocket, I think he did have pouches for bullets/speedloaders and a handcuff case.

You'd probably have to paint it a more realistic color, but I'd bet there are some cheap toy gun sets out there that include plastic bullets.

Judging by the pics you posted I would say that Barney's hat has the ring removed from it. This will make it look more floppy. WWII pilots would do this so they could wear headphones over their cap.

You will need a Smith & Wesson K frame Model 10 (5 inch barrel IIRC) in .38 Special to go with that holster. They aren't hard to find. You can get a real one for around $450.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back