ESB AT-ST Turkey Walker (Chicken to the talented)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, just two small front tyres buddy, there is a gap at the top! Try warm them in hot water mate, that makes a bit more compliant, seems Tamiya just used more rubber on the newer kit.

lee

It's nice to find parts as you're building but man, seeing all those parts laid out sure is a purdy picture! Can't wait to see this one progress Guy!

BTW, why did you guys start with a vacformed hull? Is that how the original was made? I think in the case of the AT-ST head I would [probably just build it up out of sheet styrene.

Marvin

The prop's head is vacformed Marvin, it even still has the join seam apparent where the halves were joined.
Only two have sheet styrene heads in the replicas, mine and Juliens, i went with sheet as i just prefered my own profile, and to do it on my own back, you really can do a killer job with sheet on this, and score in the join seam for accuracy.

lee

Yeah that was what I was thinking. Now I'm getting into this studio stuff I find my self questioning if I should make the model look like the original or actually copy the construction method as well....

Marvin

Oh and Guy......if you need a Chevy Titan 90......my local Hobby Lobby should have them. I got mine for about $25 or so (in and around) after a 40% coupon which they have just about every week. I wouldn't mind looking for you if you need it. It's one of the latest reissues but the cross from the suspension looks correct. LMK.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I'd already ordered a Titan but its good to know you can help out with stuff. I may need someone to bid on an item for me as I think a seller wont ship to the UK or deal with the UK bidders. Will let you know If I need help with this if its Ok. I can Paypal you the money if you dont mind?

No worries bud, well, you know your always welcome to come view mine if you need to check a few things bud, but im sure you will nail this one Guy!

lee

Well, I guess it's about time I try my tires out. BTW, so it goes, small tire - big tire in the middle- small tire. Right? Any info would help me out...and hopefully Guy, too, since I'm hijacking his thread! :D

Joe

can't remember off hand (mine, lee's, allan's, etc), but look at pics of our neck boots -- you'll get it.
both tires are inside out..
but the top one is folded in half (kinda like a plunger), and the bottom one is just plain inside out. once you have that, the top one sits like a hat on the bottom one.

as for vintage vs. new. i have vintage, but some of the rubber is cracking in places (thankfully, you get 4 tires in a kit and can look for which aren't cracking)

Yeah, Quincy said it better lol, the top tyre is inside out, then fold half of it back inside.
The lower tyre, just fold it around correctomundo lol!

Cracking, yeah, it happens anyway with age, but soaking them in WD40 helps a lot to soften and prolong the life, sheens them up sexier too lol.

bests.......lee

Who made those vac-pulls for the head?? Quincy ?? .... any chance there's any left?

Man, it feels like a fire has been lit under my ass! But I need it!

I didn't make the original ones but I am in the process of making my own. Here are the two shells I made using Quincy's awesome blueprints. They've been sitting like this waiting for plaster to be poured in for months.

plug.jpg

Now, I might be able to get these vac-formed locally but I have to check on it first. With Quincy's go ahead, I can try to get some pulls if the vac-formers are taking work.

If not, I can try and get some panels laser cut. Don't make fun of my cheerleader head! :lol It was the only card stock I had available at the time! This is the one I made using my measurements. The other was made using Q's drawings and .060" art board. Don't mind the wrong dish. And, if we went this route, you'd still need to vac form the side panel, or round it out on your own.

DSCN7805.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the two shells I made using Quincy's awesome blueprints
just to be clear -- i didn't draw the original head. that bulk of the work was already done by allan & lee (i believe). I took their drawings and added to them in order to make a template to create a vac buck (as joe has shown in his first pic).

Well i've managed to spend £300 on bay this week, its going to be a busy old time for our post man, just bagged a Steyr and Mimi tonight.

I need some help from one of you USA buddies, got an ebay item that wont sell to a UK bidder, would someone mind throwing a bid on for me and shipping? I can pay in advance to your paypal account and promise it will be an easy task?

Pm me if you can help, the auction ends in 18 hrs.....yikes

I need some help from one of you USA buddies, got an ebay item that wont sell to a UK bidder, would someone mind throwing a bid on for me and shipping? I can pay in advance to your paypal account and promise it will be an easy task?

Pm me if you can help, the auction ends in 18 hrs.....yikes

Guy, did you find anyone to bid on your ebay dealio yet?

I think so mate, but not heard back for a while due to the time diff I think. Difficult to know what to do. I'll email you if I dont hear back if thats cool? Still 6.5 hrs to go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back