Assassin's Creed II- Leonardo's flying machine project (updated 10-4)

fevereon

I started this thing in June of last year, so there's a thick coat of dust on this puppy. After wiping the dust off, I've been back to work on it over the last few days. It needs to be done for Anime Weekend Atlanta in urg. 5 days, and I have til Thursday to git er' done

For those who aren't familiar with the thing, the glider I'm working on is Leonardo da Vinci's "flying machine" from Assassin's Creed II
glider.jpg

The blueprints were (for obvious reasons) rather large, so i just printed the main body and one wing.. I made it 15 feet across (scaled down from the 23 or so I guesstimated ), because the components need to fit in my car.

Since I don't have an oversized printer, after drawing up the blues, I printed out i think around 60 sheets of 8 1/2x 11s, and spent the day taping the buggers together PosteRazor would have made this easier :p
glider1.jpg

The main body is mdf on one side, and masonite/insulation foam/tagboard on the other. The body was painted with some old thick paint and a cheapo brush that I intentionally let paint dry on

glider2.jpg

I've been using 1/8" thick masonite for the top, insulation foam for the core, and the sides are tagboard. Though individually flimsy, when glued together (using hot glue lol) they're actually fairly strong

So yeah.. lots and lots and lots of this :p
glider3.jpg

left to right-

-Masonite board, cut to shape
-insulation foam, also cut to shape (i later found if i just glued the Masonite to the foam sheet, I could then just use the edge to cut it out faster.)
- cut out & glued together
-hot glued the sides on :)

I found that a quick way to cut the tagboard strips (instead of measuring out every one) was to take a straight edge, and attach some tagboard scrap to the bottom, laid out the width i needed for the edge. I then just slide the sheet under it til it butts into the tagboard glued underneath, and cut away. Think I had to do around 100 or so strips for one size alone :p

glider5.jpg

I am concerned with (amongst other things) Torsional strength. (twisting the spines), I'll need to work around that real quick, though I think (and hope) the fabric they will sandwich will help provide additional support.

Here's the state when it was ditched in July 2010 ^^; Its a lil more beige now from all the dust.
glider4.jpg

Over the last 4 days, I've cut and assembled the other 28 spines that are left.
glider6.jpg

Some of them I had doubled up, to provide extra support and give the wings more dimension.

glider7.jpg

Though i had a vague idea of how i was going to connect the part together, I hadn't actually done any blues/ schematics for the connections. Wound up engaged in a lot of hawt snip/glue/ bull****tery here til the parts connected right. The layers alternate between those of the inner and outer wing assemblies, and a peg will be run through the entire lot when done. here's to hoping that its strong enough! *fingercross*

glider8.jpg

Once one side was assembled, I flipped it over and mirrored the other parts by assembling it right on top of the finished one (hope that makes sense!) . It may be a couple mm off from the original blues, but as long as its aligned to the layer that will be attached to the other side, it'll be fine.

The outer sides of the spines will be covered after the fabric is stretched over them :)
glider9.jpg

And here's the current state of one side. I can't easily lay it out fully though, til that side of the basement gets cleared off
glider10.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Assassin's Creed II- Leoardo's flying machine project

A very impressive project! Can't wait to see it finished. :thumbsup

Re: Assassin's Creed II- Leonardo's flying machine project

I'm literally speechless, it makes me want to buy the game just to see this contraption in action!

Kmosher- lol, sadly, in the base game (ac2) you don't get to you use it for long (just for part of one mission) In Brotherhood, it got redesigned a good bit, and is outfitted with a blunderbuss though!

After assembling the rest of the pairs of outer wing spines, these were all painted. Again I used the thick old enamel leftovers so I got thick streaks and the like.

glider14.jpg

After it dried, I sprayed the parts with rustoleum brown primer, and did a quick wipe with an old bedsheet.To bring out the texture more, I used some sandpaper.

Left them all out to dry, it was like having two gliders in the basement with both sides of the wings splayed out in the basement lol
glider12.jpg

Time to start stretching the fabric onto the wings! Since the spines would move around when setting them, I decided to temporarily tack the thing to a large sheet of insulation foam using the hot glue gun. This would keep the spines from moving while i did the fabric.
glider13.jpg

Did my best to stretch the fabric on there, and hot glued it all down. You can't bounce a quarter off it, but it'll do.
glider16.jpg

The other half was aligned and glued down after some of the trimming was done
glider17.jpg

I laid a bead of hot glue around the edges that would remain "raw" to keep it from fraying and stretching too much. Used a scrap piece of silicone to press the bead flat :)
glider18.jpg

Here's one of the outer wings almost done! I still need to tagboard the outer edge though
glider19.jpg

Did a test fitting of the first of the wings yesterday.
glider20.jpg

Then set back to work on the inner section of the wings. I still needed to add more spines, so rather rinse repeat with the glue!
glider21.jpg

Foam scraps were tacked onto the spines to stop them from moving around while stretching the fabric
glider22.jpg

Added some wood bits to one side, because the spines added would get crushed if the outer wing pushed into them. That did the trick!
glider23.jpg

another fitting check,
glider24.jpg

and strength check. I also held the thing horizontally to see if the wing will crack and crash/burn, but it held fine, and I heard no telltale squeaking/crunching sounds of a dying joint, so it looks like this will work!
glider25.jpg

The wing weighs about 11 lbs so far (the outer wing is about 5 1/2 lb) .. it'll probably go up to about 13 by the time I add the last segments (I forgot a major piece of it, so I need to go back and add that >< )

back to work!

Re: Assassin's Creed II- Leonardo's flying machine project (updated 9-27)

Oh wow! I myself haven't played the game but what an amazing project! Excellent progress. Congratulations.

Re: Assassin's Creed II- Leonardo's flying machine project (updated 9-27)

WOW!!!! That's awesome! What a project to take on. Great job! Can't wait to see it finished.

Re: Assassin's Creed II- Leonardo's flying machine project (updated 9-29)

And more of the same.. though i'm a lil behind, its coming to its home stretch :)

I forgot to add a section on the top of the wing, so I put those in.
glider26.jpg

Quick bdged the footrest, and the hand grips will be added as soon as I finish the bar that connects it to the fuselage
glider27.jpg

WOW!!!! great job Fev!!!! and on another topic do your have any threads of your work for the, assasins creed 2 bracer??

really amazing job on this project! and the paint trick is a good idea to replicate wood in cheap and fast way ;)

The convention took place this weekend, and though I wasn't able to get the hand holds done (which would be the main wing support) or a stand, so I was able to find a spot on the metal gridwalls to display it. it was light enough to hang using 3 thin zipties and a rubberband!

awagallery.jpg

the mannequin wants you to buy a vowel (this one was the only one left that had a head XD)

I'll be gettign back to work on this next week, and estimate that it has 2 or 3 full build days left to get it finished. Decided that for the stand, I'll make it like the one that Leonardo built on the rooftop in the game :)

keyub- i have a stack of WIP photos, but haven't had the time to organize and write up a process page for it yet..

cephalopodprods- Thanks! but yeah, i had a latex based paint, and was painting it onto a very porous surface (hardboard & tagboard), when wiping the spray paint off, it didn't strip the paint underneath off.

Last edited:
OMG! I would freaking hire you to make me an entire AC cosplay. your work is phenomenal. seriously! T_T the awesomeness brings me to tears

Yeah that is so so sweet. I love how the artists on here have chosen such a varied array of props to replicate, there's virtually nothing that hasn't been done or tried. That's one of the reasons I keep logging on here. That, and I'm hoping to find reasonable prices on things sometimes ;) but mainly the first reason... :-D

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back