Help with the Wicked Witch of the West's Hat

1986fourtwenty

Hi,

I'm interested in making an as accurate as possible replica of the Wicked Witch's hat, based on this auction description:

Wicked Witch of the West hat from The Wizard of Oz - Prop Archives : original movie props, screen used wardrobe

I managed to find some black wool bunting fabric from Classic Attire - offering period-correct costumes and reenactment attire, which the auction description says it's constructed out of. I'm just wondering in anyone has any thoughts or experience regarding what else the hat might be constructed from, like if it's made on a buckram base.

I'm really looking for any suggestions at all to make the hat as accurate and great as possible. Advice where to put the brim seam and how to sew in the "steel hoop" (which I think is hat brim wire, millinery wire?) would be appreciated.

I found a realy old thread on this topis but none of the pictures work anymore, so if anyone has any I'd love to see them.

I'll post progress pictures too.

There were two hats used for filming. From the research I've done, filming started with one hat that the director decided didn't look witchy enough and Adrian designed the second. The auction you linked to looks like the first hat. The second hat is in this link Wicked Witch's Hat From "The Wizard Of Oz"

The hats were constructed of wool felt and millinery wire. To make one exactly like the movie version, you will need to create a cone shaped foundation for the crown. In addition, you will need to create a wire head size and a wire outer edge. The head size and brim edge will need to be connected via spokes. Take a long piece of wire and lash it to the outer brim for a distance, bend it so it touchs the headsize, lash it there, bend, lash it to the brim, etc. You will need about 6 to 8 spokes.

I used buckram as a foundation for mine. That gives the hat a bit more strength for costuming and con wear. That meant I could forgo the wire in the crown and I only had to wire the head size and outer brim edge.

The seam on the crown is in the back and joined using a felt darning stitch. The upper brim is cut about 1/2" larger than the brim, the excess folded over and hemstitched to the bottom brim.

The book "From the Neck Up: An Illustrated Guide to Hatmaking" was invaluable while making my hat.

The original was a very stylish piece of work. Almost like you'd expect to see Joan Collins wearing it in Dynasty or something...

The witch was originally going to be played by Gale Sondergaard. Her costume was very reminiscent of Disney's Evil Queen from Snow White. Ms. Sondergaard's costume, including her hat, was covered with black sequins. She bowed out of production and Margaret Hamilton was cast in the role.

I've seen some of the photos with Gale in costume; she'd definitely have made a very chic witch. I definitely prefer, though, what ultimately became the classic with Margaret Hamilton as the "ugly" witch. That's the reference image that comes to my mind whenever I think of what a witch should look like. She aced it.

The witch was originally going to be played by Gale Sondergaard. Her costume was very reminiscent of Disney's Evil Queen from Snow White. Ms. Sondergaard's costume, including her hat, was covered with black sequins. She bowed out of production and Margaret Hamilton was cast in the role.

Thanks so much for the feedback and construction tips, which I'll definitely take. These are the three hats that have been auctioned off over the years:

This first one is the hat from when Richard Thorpe was directing, and when Victor Fleming took over the witch's hair, makeup and hat were changed. This is the hat from the Thrope era and there are publicity stills with the witch in this hat:

The Wicked Witch of the West's hat - The Wizard of Oz - Prop Archives : original movie props, screen used wardrobe

This is the redesigned, more sinister hat used when Victor Fleming took over and is the main hero hat:

Wicked Witch of the West hat from The Wizard of Oz - Prop Archives : original movie props, screen used wardrobe

The last hat is the hat used in the melting scene which has a larger brim and is over exaggerated to make it seem like the witch is shrinking and melting:

Wicked Witch's Hat From The Wizard Of Oz - Prop Archives : original movie props, screen used wardrobe

Does that seem right? The auction descriptions get a little inaccurate at times. I'm just wondering if the melting hat was used in other scenes. Any ideas what scenes had which hats?

There were two hats used for filming. From the research I've done, filming started with one hat that the director decided didn't look witchy enough and Adrian designed the second. The auction you linked to looks like the first hat. The second hat is in this link Wicked Witch's Hat From "The Wizard Of Oz"

The hats were constructed of wool felt and millinery wire. To make one exactly like the movie version, you will need to create a cone shaped foundation for the crown. In addition, you will need to create a wire head size and a wire outer edge. The head size and brim edge will need to be connected via spokes. Take a long piece of wire and lash it to the outer brim for a distance, bend it so it touchs the headsize, lash it there, bend, lash it to the brim, etc. You will need about 6 to 8 spokes.

I used buckram as a foundation for mine. That gives the hat a bit more strength for costuming and con wear. That meant I could forgo the wire in the crown and I only had to wire the head size and outer brim edge.

The seam on the crown is in the back and joined using a felt darning stitch. The upper brim is cut about 1/2" larger than the brim, the excess folded over and hemstitched to the bottom brim.

The book "From the Neck Up: An Illustrated Guide to Hatmaking" was invaluable while making my hat.

Here is one of the last tests for the witch after Richard Thrope was fired:

WIZARDOFOZ02_2.jpg

This seems to be this hat from the second link in my last post.

Just the hat for display, and eventually I'd love to do the broom. I think the broom will be a lot harder to get accurate.

Sounds like a nice display; the "less-is-more" route...

I haven't seen many reference images of the broom by itself, but I hadn't really seen many of these images that were posted in the thread here either before now.

I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

:cool
Yup...I'm still making reproductions, hats, brooms, hourglasses, winkie spears, and more. Feel free to email me directly if you want to communicate directly

~Daniel
YWIMC@aol.com
Your Wish Is My Command

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back