Doctor Who at the PA Ren Faire

I just had a Time Travelers Birthday party. My friend and I dressed as Bill and Ted, my girlfriend was Cameron from (Sara Connor Chronicals) other friends dressed as, Amy Pond, 10th Doctor, Marty Mcfly, 2 Star Trek personel, Donnie Darko, a Hogswart student, Link, and a few people from various times. It was a blast. I had different props from various time travelling movies. Now i'd dress up as Ted again if there was either a Ren Faire or time travelling convention near me.

Hmm... I think there may have to be a trip down to Colonial Williamsburg in the near future.

It's also nice to see that I'm not the only one who sports the Tennant suit who cannot grow sideburns.

Hmm... I think there may have to be a trip down to Colonial Williamsburg in the near future.

It's also nice to see that I'm not the only one who sports the Tennant suit who cannot grow sideburns.

I can fake it with my mock burns but it a totally different style. I've actually be bitter about this for years as I've wanted to grow them since I was in high school. Hell I used to work with a girl who could grow better sideburns then me! Speaking of work, my coworker just told me about Colonial Williamsburg as well so I've been giving that some thought. No clue if or when I could though. BUt yeah, a Civil War reenactment... maybe not... maybe.

A time Travelers Party as an alternative to a convention would work for me. But how about this, an unofficial convention. Here's my idea. Pick a day and a location. Somewhere where people can walk around, in doors or out, like a Mall or a park or even a trip to a city. On that day the Time Travelers show up at a predetermined spot and time and just go about their business as a group for the day dressed as the characters they choose to be. Find a nice location for lunch and stories and have fun confusing the people around you. Mind be worth thinking about.

Very cool, and excellent costumes! You guys both have the look down. I haven't been to the PA Ren Faire in a few years, but it seems like it'd be a great place to show up as The Doctor.

Hope you didn't buy the "wine" they sell there at that one pavillion just outside the gates (assuming it's still there).

We're talking about hitting Williamsburg one day soon, but I hadn't thought of going in costume...:confused
I couldn't grow sideburns until I hit 40!!
When you boys get a little older, you'll grow hair in "funny places"!!
:lol:lol:lol

I guess I should be grateful for what I've got. I'm usually just disappointed that I can't grow burnsides:

burnside.jpg

A Time Traveller's party sounds great. Gettysburg might be a good central location, too based on some of the East Coast people's comments (just probably not on reenactment days). And I know of at least one good brewpub in the area.

Invitations could be sent out like in "The Impossible Astronaut".

Very nice idea, I'm loving that!

A Time Traveller's party sounds great. Gettysburg might be a good central location, too based on some of the East Coast people's comments (just probably not on reenactment days). And I know of at least one good brewpub in the area.

Sounds like good a place as any (I expect there be be a Few Tennants, oh how the paradoxes will ensue...

Very cool, and excellent costumes! You guys both have the look down. I haven't been to the PA Ren Faire in a few years, but it seems like it'd be a great place to show up as The Doctor.

Hope you didn't buy the "wine" they sell there at that one pavillion just outside the gates (assuming it's still there).

No wine for me no, we're safe. Bad is it?

Thanks for the compliments :) I'll be sure she hears them. Tell you what, I really never expected the reaction we got and I have thought someone had to have tried it before so I figured they might be bored with the idea. BUt no matter what it is fun both in that "recognition" way and in the "I'm the Doctor in the 1500s" way. We had so much fun just staying in character. And even if one staff member (one mind you out of who knows) tried to dampen our spirits by telling us they've had a Doctor every weekend for the past month, there is no way we let that get us down. Plus the stories we have from this seem to be a bit unique so so even if they did have a Doctor a weekend it doesn't seem to go unwanted.

Doesn't need arm twisting. In fact, I'll be 10 at the Maryland Ren fest on October 8th.

Note to self: Don't go on the 8th ;) You'll have to post how it goes. I'm not sure when we are going, if we can work it out, but I'd still like to.

@Interceptor6 and Risu - I can do a fine Goatee (look out Master!) but count yourselves lucky if you can manage a beard. Still, as I get older I'd be happy to not have sideburns so long as my eye brows don't expand or hair comes out of my nose and eras :/

Been to G'burg on many an occasion, the last time for a mini Indy summit. Once I get my Jack Harkness together, I'm up for a meet in the Philly/Eastern PA/NJ/MD/DE area. There's also NYC.

I've told this story here before, but last year at a haunted woods outside of Baltimore, one of the actors in a mad scientists lab broke character to say to me, "hey, there's Doctor Who!"

What was weird was I was dressed as the ninth doctor, hardly the most recogisable outfit, especally in a darkened room. My friends didn't know i had a "costume" on, and they gave me a look like, "we can't take you out without your dressing up, can we?"

Reading all of this makes me look forward to having my blue suit even more! The Doctor in his jimjammes at a Ren Faire might look strange. And I'd probably have to go by myself since DH and our friend would never let me leave dressed at Ten.

Ok, so we have a few people waiting on new outfits to arrive (myself included) but I really think we should all work on this meet. It sounds like a fun day out. Conventions are fun as well of course but a day out just talking about all things with like minded people is always a good time. What does everyone think? We have Gettysburg as a suggestion so assumeing everyone is a go for that, what about a time of year? Soon-ish, later-ish etc?

Ok, so we have a few people waiting on new outfits to arrive (myself included) but I really think we should all work on this meet. It sounds like a fun day out. Conventions are fun as well of course but a day out just talking about all things with like minded people is always a good time. What does everyone think? We have Gettysburg as a suggestion so assumeing everyone is a go for that, what about a time of year? Soon-ish, later-ish etc?

As much as I'd like to say soon-ish, I'm thinking in the spring (late March/April/early May). Gives enough time to get everything solidified in terms of both costumes and planning. Is that too later-ish?

As much as I'd like to say soon-ish, I'm thinking in the spring (late March/April/early May). Gives enough time to get everything solidified in terms of both costumes and planning. Is that too later-ish?

No, I'd say that makes sense. I'd say look for cooler weather, not cold and not hot. Some of the outfits will be quite warm. This gives us all time to think of ideas for things to do if we like.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back