Slave 1

Awesome pulls!! Just curious, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but did they actually used a street lamp for the ship construction or did some guy at ILM just said, "hey, it looks like a street lamp"?

Awesome pulls!! Just curious, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but did they actually used a street lamp for the ship construction or did some guy at ILM just said, "hey, it looks like a street lamp"?

No, it was labelled a streetlamp by the crew i think, Jamero modelled it on some kind of satellite dish, though it does also resemble an ESB period desklamp used in the modelshop, so who knows.

Lee

I picked Lorne Peterson's brain about this model like crazy when ever the opportunity presented itself, as you can well imagine. He was happy that someone was crazy enough to scratch one. Said something that made me groan: "yeah, we used some big Porsche... did you know that?"

Yeah. we knew that. :behave

Then he said "you sure? It's big? Like... 1/18th or something"... charming. I wanted to scream "YOU USED SEALABS AND 1/8 ENTEX KITS AND AND..... DIAMONDS!!!! WHY!?!?" But just laughed and told him how expensive the kit was now. He was like "heh - sorry about your luck, guys!" Hehe.

He then said:

The original form components were hand carved from Jelutong, and survived kicking around the archives until relatively recently, when someone placed the pattern "near" a bunch of trash... and IT WAS THROWN OUT.

:cry

But there are whispers of a set of pulls in the hands of some lucky people. Who knows.

Said something that made me groan: "yeah, we used some big Porsche... did you know that?"

I'm so glad I don't really love this ship. That's one of the reasons. :lol

I wanted to scream "YOU USED SEALABS AND 1/8 ENTEX KITS AND AND..... DIAMONDS!!!! WHY!?!?"

HA! And Bandai 1/15 and 1/24 armour, but not the 'common' ones, oh no, that would be too easy, it had to be the first editions made of unobtainium...

and IT WAS THROWN OUT.

Oh god no. Don't love the ship but even I feel ill about that. Museums can be the WORST places for preservation of rare artifacts, paradoxically. I love jelutong btw. Ever used it? Beautiful!

I hope that's true, about the pulls...

No, it was labelled a streetlamp by the crew i think, Jamero modelled it on some kind of satellite dish, though it does also resemble an ESB period desklamp used in the modelshop, so who knows.

Lee
Het guys, Nilo modeled the look of slave 1 after the street lamps that lined the street going to ilm.

Jason, have you seen the drive by of Slave 1 in the Blu Ray extras, nothing new but the lighting is great and you get a real sense of how it looks. Its in the Archive footage.

That's funny, I totally missed the slave one in the archives of the blu ray.

Looking good Jason! Good luck with this. It's funny to hear your story of Lorne - what a great help....:)

I knew you had castings of the "failed slave one project" posted at one time, maybe on your site. Did you just rework those to fix some of the proportions and vac over it?

I bought Allan's fiberglass pull that Richard did and it has no surface detail. Rich suggested doing the tape method, which he did, to make the panel lines. So that's how I might go about making surface panels. Looks pretty good on his. But his has some proportion problems that might require trimming or fudging parts underneath.

Anyhow, it's a giant project and I look forward to seeing how it goes. The underlying armature structure and cockpit are still somewhat mysterious to me.

Yeah, I had a bum pull from Rich which was a jumping off point... I had planned to use it (after fixing it up) but when we realized the proportions were off, I had to resculpt some of the parts - and THAT was only discovered after tons of hard work from Allan. This project represents what, 4 years of research and money and time and more money from a small group of guys that I feel really lucky to even be associated with!

The cockpit and armature are still a bit mysterious to me as well. If I have to make crap up, I will... no biggie.

I picked Lorne Peterson's brain about this model like crazy when ever the opportunity presented itself, as you can well imagine. He was happy that someone was crazy enough to scratch one. Said something that made me groan: "yeah, we used some big Porsche... did you know that?"

Yeah. we knew that. :behave

Then he said "you sure? It's big? Like... 1/18th or something"... charming. I wanted to scream "YOU USED SEALABS AND 1/8 ENTEX KITS AND AND..... DIAMONDS!!!! WHY!?!?" But just laughed and told him how expensive the kit was now. He was like "heh - sorry about your luck, guys!" Hehe.

He then said:

The original form components were hand carved from Jelutong, and survived kicking around the archives until relatively recently, when someone placed the pattern "near" a bunch of trash... and IT WAS THROWN OUT.

:cry

But there are whispers of a set of pulls in the hands of some lucky people. Who knows.

Someone placed the pattern "near" a bunch of trash......and IT WAS THROWN OUT. Thats a mortal sin! LOL:behave

Jelutong is used for its wood. Along with balsa it is technically a hardwood with many properties similar to that wood. These properties such as the low density, straight grain and fine texture mean it is easy to work with and hence popular with model makers and within the patternmaking trade. The roots are used as a cork substitute.

Not sure Lorne is correct about the patterns...as long as I was at the archives (since 1987 to 1996), I never saw the patterns. And I also went through everything in that period, as I had to move them from their location near ILM to the ranch. Unless they were discovered recently, I don't believe they were recently tossed...they were probably tossed years ago.

And according to Nilo, he claims that the streetlamp was NOT the inspiration. However, the shape and appearance sure seem similar...and would be quite a coincidence.

--Don

Thanks for the info, Don! I'd like to think they weren't thrown out...

Were you the one responsible for the two boxes labeled "More American Graffiti Underwear" and "Used Ewok Underwear"? That cracked me up!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back