Slave 1

Jay you should get yourself 2 clear parts that PTEG is
a pain to cut through....it's so grabby it actually squeaks
while you try to cut it.:sick:thumbsdown

Last edited:
Very impressed with the clear part the most......
it looks real nice the bigger the clear part the more
room for heart break, but that looks excellent from
what I saw.

Ahhh but I have a SONIC CUTTER!!

SHOOOM ZROOM!

The blimp shells are clear PTEG - cut through that sucka like buttah!

Jay you should get yourself 2 clear parts that J-peg is
a pain to cut through....it's so grabby it actually squeaks
while you try to cut it.:sick:thumbsdown

Where are you getting all this time for these projects? Secret way back machine?
Keep it up...you are making me enthused again

Dean

Thanks, Dean!

Lots of slow burners - sometimes they flare up. The Blade Runner blimp, the Slave 1, the Rebel Transport, about a half-dozen Ma.K. models, a Colonial Movers.... lots of stuff in play, lol!

I feel like I NEVER get things done, and then suddenly, there's a big avalanche of results!

Exactly what I was thinking! From what sleeve do you pull out more time!? You're involved in some of the biggest and nuttiest projects I've ever seen and yet you keep adding to your plate!? Amazing, everything is finished A+ too, you truly seem to live for this. Btw, slightly ot but do you mind if I ask what happend to your FM speeder dio? I was following that on your blog with great interest.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks, man - truly humbled when heavy hitters like you and Dean pop in to say I'm doing good work - it makes me feel pretty good. Like I just drank something from Egg Shen's shop ;)

Ah yeah, the Snowspeeder - it's completely done! I just need to add snow - it's sitting in the v1 MR AT-AT case. I plan to repaint the AT-AT to my personal standards, add snow, and then take glorious pics. Another one of those projects that are almost there.... LOL!

I'll take a shot of the Speeder tomorrow - it really came out well - sometimes it's a relaxing pleasure to work in a non-studio scale on something that comes with Japanese instructions!

Cool! I would love to see it! I think you had an smashing idea for a dio. Especially after MR did such a terrible job out of their V2 display. The work you put into that little speeder looked amazing, I always wanted to see the final touch. I have that kit too and was planing to use it to copy an old ILM display where they had a small speeder with the tow cable wrapped around the legs of SS walker. That project is far away though since it involves completely hacking up the MR walker and replacing all the donor parts.:/

End of the hijack, please carry on with Slave 1!

Cheers,
Steve.

Slave 1 hulls all ready to ship. Everyone who ordered will have their hulls by mid next week. Couldn't find any where else to post this. ENJOY! All you crazy Slave 1 builders. :)
George

my first subscribed thread on the RPF, very much looking into this one. a nooB question, how does one obtain the slave 1 parts kit?

my first subscribed thread on the RPF, very much looking into this one. a nooB question, how does one obtain the slave 1 parts kit?

hey man. welcome aboard.

well, I'm not exactly a veteran or old timer here but nice to see a friendly face. :behave

I think parts of the slave 1 kit are still being scratched built/identified and found by Jason or moffeaton so I don't think they will be available anytime soon.

Patience I've found is key. The guys on here have been known to wait years for a kit to be sent from the time when it might be first shown.

Good luck bro :)

Yeah, I had a bum pull from Rich which was a jumping off point... I had planned to use it (after fixing it up) but when we realized the proportions were off, I had to resculpt some of the parts - and THAT was only discovered after tons of hard work from Allan. This project represents what, 4 years of research and money and time and more money from a small group of guys that I feel really lucky to even be associated with!

The cockpit and armature are still a bit mysterious to me as well. If I have to make crap up, I will... no biggie.

Here's an example of the skirt extension which I modified with the guidance of Allan's excellent advice, mid-clean up, before it left my hands. Rich did a bang up job, but none of us will ever get this right unless we hand-survey the original model. "Close enough" is good for me.

L1070119.jpg

If only I had a time machine, eh?
I measured my pulls this evening, and they are very much use-able. It's definitely not a shake and bake project!

These are too thin, you can tell from pics - but they're test pulls, to gauge accuracy (hope to god I got that skirt revision correct), and general "feel"... these will be the practice pulls. The sexy ones will be thicker.

(that's what she said!)

Would you use the time machine to get your money back
is that what you mean?

Asking because of what you quoted from yourself.

Last edited:
Oh no, not at all. I consider this to be the approximately $1k well spent so far. I am happy with the pulls. There's always tweaks to be made, and I'd like to have made an adjustment now that we know the wing wells needed to move their positioning... but with the good faith effort of all those involved in this particular project, I am more than happy. I am confident that these pulls will make a nice Slave 1. It's dangerous to sell something that's not shake-n-bake to people, because there are varying levels of skill... so even though these are getting bad press, I stand by what Rich, Allan, and I made, with all of the interpretations that a fan-made item is going to have.

I have never seen a perfect replica made of ANYTHING here, be it model or prop. And this is one of the most complicated model any one could attempt to build from "nothing". Much like the set of A-Wing pulls you sent to Matt Meyers. I remember that one well.

The funny thing is, I sent the parts to a third party to get Vac-formed, and I didn't have any thing to do with the transactions. I still think I ended up losing around $400 on this particular step of the build, but I wanted to be able to offer them to other people, and I'm happy that I did - and though breaking even would have been great, I have no illusions about the way these things work. No good deed goes unpunished in the Slave 1 saga!

:lol Matt Meyer's never tried, his hulls were un-cut when I got them
back .....I sent them to Guy with he rest of the parts, and he ran with
the build. The parts for the A-wing were tough and strong they allowed
for manipulation as he built it......vac stuff should be this way because it
is never "turn Key" (at least for the stuff we make), you need room on the problem solving end of with this stuff.When the parts fail you for whatever reason, it begins to cut down on your ability to problem solve then you settle or quit!

By the time the parts get to the guy forming it your
done. It's just a matter of process at that point, heat
it up and suck it down. Any problems you have in the
parts are not gonna get fixed at this point. All the man can
do is form the stuff in the thickness you asked for.

There are plenty of things that get formed that work
flawless for industrial usage and setting....who has got the money for that?
For a 30 year old sci-fi spaceship.......:lol This model is probably
best realized in fiberglass....if plastic the weight bearing parts in 3 no less than 2.5 mm.

He never tried?! Oh man, seriously? I thought he at least attempted to build it. Guy did an amazing job, so at least it had a happy ending.

Yeah, well, I had the Slave 1 in fiberglass and though it was a "bum" casting, it still could have been fixed up with some time and putty - easy peasy. So when I started in, I began with the underside. The inside of the skirt was "raw" and it would have needed to be ground down a lot... and since I have all styrene donors for this sucker, and Allan realized the front skirt was too "short", I though "hey - let's invest that time in a different way and go for styrene with the hull too", since the skirt needed to be smooth inside and out. The idea of "welding" the parts underneath and above with Weld-On is just too cool an idea to not attempt. The bonds are so much stronger than resin to plastic.

But yeah, it's a wonky rickety-ass 30 year old model. I love it!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back