Mission: Cheap Black Swan for Halloween ALL DONE!

Laamberry

I think a lot of people bring out their best and brightest for Halloween and I love seeing that, but for me Halloween is the one time of year where I can really stretch out and be a little inaccurate and creative with my costume. I won't mind if it's ruined in a crowd, it won't cost me an arm and a leg, and it won't seriously distract from the time I get to spend on my longer-standing projects (*cough*Ironman*cough*). But don't get me wrong! The fun of a cheap costume is the challenge of still making it look not cheap. So my challenge for this Halloween is this:

Put together a decent Black Swan costume for under $200.

Hopefully much much much LESS than $200!

here are some refs for anyone who didn't see the movie:

alg_black_swan.jpg

bsw5050a.jpg

swan1.jpg

I would also like to really make it a bit scary. I'm thinking feathers growing out of my back and near my hands, sharpened fake nails dipped in fake blood, that sort of junk. This should be a blast!

Last edited:
Re: Mission: Cheap Black Swan for Halloween

Right now my main focus is buying the parts for the "base" so I can get to work on covering it embellishments.

Since real platter performance tutus cost hundreds of dollars, I opted for this practice tutu that has some really stellar reviews. It's only got 9 layers while the one in the movie has 13 but I imagine I can always tack on some more tulle if the platter is too thin. Best part, it was only $45!

d005.jpg

I also picked up these canvas ballet slippers in white for only $13. They're far from professional pointe shoes but they're perfect for getting dirty running around west hollywood.

s1c.jpg

as for the top, I've decided to really cheap out and just buy this wedding bustier as a base to cover. Found one on ebay for a $25.
_6491443.jpg

I loved the movie as well as I loved the costumes. I'm really looking forward to what you build for halloween. Are the pantihose (is that the correct word?) two colours or it's just the lighting?

Lookin like a great start, what method do you think you'll use for the growing feathers look?

Looks great so far! $25 is a steal for that bustier!

Definitely canvas ballet slippers are better than leather ones if you're cosplaying. A lot hardier, cheaper, and less painful if you destroy them haha. I hope you got yours in pink though, instead of white. I find that pink blends in better with the tights (which are usually a very pale shade of pink as well). Also, Natalie Portman wore pink pointe shoes. :D

Dancers don't usually sew ribbons to ballet slippers, only pointe shoes, but for this cosplay I think it would be nice if you did pointe shoe style ribbons on these canvas slippers. Most ballet slippers come with one side of the elastic attached, and you're supposed to sew the other side down. If you are sewing ribbons you can remove the elastic; in pointe its for extra security but you wouldn't need it cos yours would be purely cosmetic.

You should check out these videos here.
How to Sew Ribbons Onto Pointe Shoes - YouTube
How to Tie the Ribbon on Ballet Shoes - YouTube

There are plenty of ways to sew ribbons, everyone does it slightly different. Feel free to improvise! :D

@Abaris - Her ballet tights are one colour: pale pink. I think it's the shadow of her tutu that we're seeing.

Edit: Oh also! Remember to tuck your laces into your shoes when you're done. Don't tie a bow and leave them hanging!

Lookin like a great start, what method do you think you'll use for the growing feathers look?

Not sure yet! I'm thinking I can figure something out with just some halloween liquid latex and the like. I really need to sit down and deside how to do a goose skin effect as well.

Looks great so far! $25 is a steal for that bustier!

Definitely canvas ballet slippers are better than leather ones if you're cosplaying. A lot hardier, cheaper, and less painful if you destroy them haha. I hope you got yours in pink though, instead of white. I find that pink blends in better with the tights (which are usually a very pale shade of pink as well). Also, Natalie Portman wore pink pointe shoes. :D

Dancers don't usually sew ribbons to ballet slippers, only pointe shoes, but for this cosplay I think it would be nice if you did pointe shoe style ribbons on these canvas slippers. Most ballet slippers come with one side of the elastic attached, and you're supposed to sew the other side down. If you are sewing ribbons you can remove the elastic; in pointe its for extra security but you wouldn't need it cos yours would be purely cosmetic.

You should check out these videos here.
How to Sew Ribbons Onto Pointe Shoes - YouTube
How to Tie the Ribbon on Ballet Shoes - YouTube

There are plenty of ways to sew ribbons, everyone does it slightly different. Feel free to improvise! :D

@Abaris - Her ballet tights are one colour: pale pink. I think it's the shadow of her tutu that we're seeing.

Edit: Oh also! Remember to tuck your laces into your shoes when you're done. Don't tie a bow and leave them hanging!

Are they pink then? I argued with myself for a while over if they were white or that ballet pink you're talking about and deicded to stick with white..bummer, guess I spoke too soon! Thanks for the tips, they're going to be mega helpful :]] I was definitely planning on putting some ribbons in.

Haha they are definitely pink. Actually I've never seen white pointe shoes before. Lol.

Found some images of Natalie Portman's dance double's feet. Might wanna use them as reference. :)

White Swan dance sequence:
http://www.jerrilynnreeves.com/wp-content/uploads/SwanQueen-4.png

Black Swan dance sequence
http://www.jerrilynnreeves.com/wp-content/uploads/Picture-152.png

(LOL now I feel like making my own Black Swan costume!)

Nice, thanks!

I think Odiil is a perfect choice for a creepy halloween costume. Be sure to post some progress pics :)

Re: Mission: Cheap Black Swan for Halloween(tiara done!)

SO. I got a bit of work done on this over the past few days, mostly on the tiara.

reference pic! -
black-swan-tiara-2.png

I started with a really simple 12 gauge wire frame.

312242_2494333483762_1415564252_2945767_2051897349_n.jpg

then I started covering it with paper clay and sculpting all the knobs and junk in bit by bit.

DSC01250.jpg

here it is about half finished

DSC01255.jpg

Then I hit 'er with a shot of black paint and high-gloss clear coat!

DSC01278.jpg

gems and DONE!
DSC01288.jpg

I debated whether to leave the gems clear or to paint the back with silver paint..ended up going with the clear ones.

DSC01266.jpg

I also went ahead and added two plates to my tutu. One organza and the other a large netting. It's a little hard to see so bare with me :]

DSC01284.jpg

DSC01283.jpg

Re: Mission: Cheap Black Swan for Halloween (tiara done!)

You are so freaking talented that I almost hate you. :p

Now where are pics of the full outfit?

Fascinating thread. I would love to do a Black Swan or Pioson Ivy. Today it's Black Swan :lol

That tiara is freaking fantastic!!! But now that Halloween has passed, I must ask...

So did you finish it!? Where are the pics!?

This is random, but we got these in at work the other day, in black

blackswan-01.jpg
( the ear thingies )

I knew she wore them, but I guess not as the black swan, only white.

Oh, and I work at ALDO, and they're $20 in case you want to check them out. =)

Oh geeze, this completely got away from me. Who saw that coming?? Long story short, I ended up sewing the top THE DAY OF THE HALLOWEEN PARTY IT WAS FOR by hand. Yeah. I snapped a few shots as I went along but I don't have those on hand atm. For now, some pics of it completed!

317553_2628277672283_1415564252_3060536_1325184816_n.jpg

386057_2628075467228_1415564252_3060260_1940599625_n.jpg

296903_2628265351975_1415564252_3060528_1142152355_n.jpg

photo.php

311360_2628087787536_1415564252_3060277_2072114764_n.jpg

Holy wow!! You look incredible!!! And the eyes, incredibly freaky. Did you shop'em or get contacts?

The whole thing is beautiful, I love the placement of the feathers and gems. Just enough and no overkill.

I'd love to see photos with the birdcage veil! It makes it extra creepy. :|

That is coming along nicely Laam!

Why thank you!

You are so freaking talented that I almost hate you. :p

Now where are pics of the full outfit?

BAM, wish granted!

Fascinating thread. I would love to do a Black Swan or Pioson Ivy. Today it's Black Swan :lol

Black Swan is super fun and useful. It a crowd, the tutu acts like a force field!

That tiara is freaking fantastic!!! But now that Halloween has passed, I must ask...

So did you finish it!? Where are the pics!?

This is random, but we got these in at work the other day, in black

blackswan-01.jpg
( the ear thingies )

I knew she wore them, but I guess not as the black swan, only white.

Oh, and I work at ALDO, and they're $20 in case you want to check them out. =)

I almost did white swan because I love those things so much, true story. And thanks for the heads up :D

for anyone interested, here's a tally of my costs:

Tutu - $45
top - $15 (ended up with a cheaper brand that did lovely)
fabrics for decorating- about $30 from Joanns
shoes - $13
RIT dye for shoes - $3 (RUINED them though, they're hot pink now!)
Wire, jewels, and clay for tiara - $25
Mac silver pigment for eyes - $10
Feathers - $20
tights - $10
------------------
TOTAL: About $175.

Mission accomplished

Holy wow!! You look incredible!!! And the eyes, incredibly freaky. Did you shop'em or get contacts?

The whole thing is beautiful, I love the placement of the feathers and gems. Just enough and no overkill.

I'd love to see photos with the birdcage veil! It makes it extra creepy. :|
The eyes are purely shoop! I had some contacts but my eyes had been bothering me so~

And thank you again :D I'd like to finish the veil and the bun topper and wear it again, to tell you the truth.

Last edited:

There's dye remover that might be able to salvage your shoes... I've never used it but I hear it works pretty good despite the stink. :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back