Bad plot holes in good movies...

Have we talked about Wolverine, and Magneto?

Is there a reason Magneto doesn't just WRECK Wolverine. He could, couldn't he...? Couldn't Magneto just totally torque the admantium in Wolverine into whatever unusable shape he chooses?

Is it because deep down all the Xavier-connected X-Men (good or bad) are all friends and lovers at the core? Just "fair play" on Magneto's part? Or is this delved into at at deeper level in the comics?

x-men-25-010.jpg
Have we talked about Wolverine, and Magneto?

Is there a reason Magneto doesn't just WRECK Wolverine. He could, couldn't he...? Couldn't Magneto just totally torque the admantium in Wolverine into whatever unusable shape he chooses?

Is it because deep down all the Xavier-connected X-Men (good or bad) are all friends and lovers at the core? Just "fair play" on Magneto's part? Or is this delved into at at deeper level in the comics?

It happened, like mid 90's in either Uncanny X-Men or Wolverine's own comic. Magneto finally just said F it and tore the adamantium out of him through his skin, I don't remember how they resolved the story. They found out after that he had bone claws inside of the metal, stopped following it shortly after, it's been a long time.

what always bothered me was in batman begins, the weapon they steal vaporized water, it vaporizes it way above the sewer systems in the train. i dont know how high the train is but lets just say 30ft from the street, and god only knows how low the sewer is...

so it vaporizes all that water and leaves the poison gas everywhere turning people nuts

... the adult human body averages 60% water, with the brain being 85%, everyone remains fine?

i thought while watching the movie that was the plot, to fry humans by vaporizing the water in their bodies, i was alittle off

to me that was a bad plot hole

I've got one better. We learn late in the film that the toxin was being dumped into the water supply for quite a while and figure out that it can only affect people when it's absorbed through the lungs. Anyone up for a nice hot bath or a shower?

I've got one better. We learn late in the film that the toxin was being dumped into the water supply for quite a while and figure out that it can only affect people when it's absorbed through the lungs. Anyone up for a nice hot bath or a shower?

Well, people were already a little nuts in Gotham... maybe it wasn't as potent when simply naturally evaporating in the water when showering/taking a bath.

But like one mentioned earlier... I absolutely expected that vaporator to force all water out of people, thus killing them in the process and leaving the survivors to suffer the poisonous aftermath.

View attachment 659302

It happened, like mid 90's in either Uncanny X-Men or Wolverine's own comic. Magneto finally just said F it and tore the adamantium out of him through his skin, I don't remember how they resolved the story. They found out after that he had bone claws inside of the metal, stopped following it shortly after, it's been a long time.

Thanks for the insight to the comic books (which I do not read)...!

Honestly, when you consider the magnitude and importance of the film series, and the fact that these are two of the most primary characters, this is likely one of the most egregious plot holes imaginable. If the two characters are on the opposite sides of good and evil, why wouldn't Magneto render Wolverine into a Human Pretzel from the get go?

My (limited) understanding of the adamantium is that though it can cut through pretty much anything else in the world, Magneto can still bend it, and once bent, Wolverine would not be able to bend it back. So again, at any given moment, Magneto could tie Wolverine into a bow-tie.

And just imagine that in the fictional X-Men world. Wolverine can heal, yes. But he also feels the pain of his injuries. Imagine the pulverization of his human bones as the admantium is bent into grotesque curving shapes. Every bone effected would experience hundreds of breaks and fractures. The bones would basically shatter.

THEN...

They would heal... They would heal back into whatever shape or curve Magneto has bent them. And again, Wolverine would then be the unrecoverable Human Pretzel.

For me personally, my extension of disbelief, (or powers of rationalization), allow me to believe that at the core, Magneto has a respect and a fondness (even an awe) of Wolverine's endo-skeleton, and for that reason alone, exercises a degree of "fair play".

Also, its fairly well communicated that Magneto is not truly evil. He has a specific cause, and is uniquely motivated to achieve his goals. Beyond that, though, he is not an entirely evil entity.

View attachment 659302

It was Wolverine 75, and Magneto straight up ripped the adamantium out, like you said. Wolverine has a severly messed up healing factor, and bone claws, and leaves the Xmen because of it. He actually didnt have the metal claws for a long time, but then he got them back in a stupid convuleted comic story...

I always had a problem with that, because of the stated properties of adamantium. It's an alloy, and once it cools is "practically indestructible". I had a serious problem that Magneto could just twist it fluidly into those abstract shapes. This is stuff is harder than silicon carbide steel. I figure Wolverine's ligaments would give loooooooong before the metal would deform. I could see him flying apart into meat chunks dictated by his joints before I can see the metal even separating into pieces to tear away from his bones and out through the flesh. All said and done, though, Magneto probably wouldn't bother with such. He'd fling him way far away, or pin him against the wall as an afterthought, or just hold him immobile until everyone else was dealt with... As we've seen him do. The rest is excessive. Waste of energy. Magneto had long since become "never play an ace when a two will do". Wolverine was the handiest of his adversaries. He was pretty much entirely ferrous. He could be held down with a minimum of effort while the more problematic X-Men demanded more of his focus.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back