Rapunzel (and Flynn)...the everlasting WIP. ( re-making bodice! )

Re: Rapunzel ( and Flynn ) WIP for Halloween!

sandpaper and paint. sadly, i tried nailpolish remover and it did NOTHING. I was hoping it would rub off some of the colour, but no dice. =\

very interesting project :)

the attention to detail is astounding, and i bet it's going to look awesome when finished! :thumbsup

Thank you hooper! I sure hope so!!

On the agenda for tomorrow: dye bodice material ( it really is just TOO pink in person ) and sleeve/undershirt material, assemble bodice and hopefully sleeves and finish wig. In otherwords: most of the upper half.

But my goals have been getting trampled by me staying up late doing nothing and sleeping in 'til 2pm... >_> We'll see how far I actually get.

In other news! I've purchased some beautiful circle lenses since my eyes seem to photograph so puny. I got these ones, bottom half, in the green. They should look amazing since the centers are golden hazel and my eyes are ... well... golden hazel. And then they'll have that amazing green like Rapunzel's AND look super beautiful and big! Exciting!!

Also ordered new skirt material that's on it's way. Did I mention that? I can't remember. It's a duchess satin to it's much more tame in it's shine. And is a BEAUTIFUL colour. Yeah, I do have issues deciding on materials... but I NEED this costume to be almost perfect. It's that important to me!

purple.jpg

Much more elegant...much less tacky.

And that's it for this evening...more tomorrow!

LOL thats ok. I do the same thing. For my sons hook costume I searched for almost a week for gold metalic trims. I finally settled for one and bought it. The next day I found exactly what I was looking for. Metallic gold trim with a rope pattern. I think its just us costumers.. We settle but then dwell... After dwelling we continue to search.. Then we find something better...
I'm pondering my peter pan costume... I wanted to do pigskin suede. I settled for microfiber suede because its SOOO much cheaper. But now I'm second guessing myself. I think the new fabic looks awsome and your right less.... tacky/store bought really.

Nicely done. My younger sister is making her own Rapunzel dress too, although she's going as the brunette post-haircut version since she doesn't care to wear wigs. If she will let me, I'll share pics when she finishes it shortly. :)

This going to be awesome when it's done. Great work on the wig and vest.

Do you plan on making an accurate frying pan, or are you going to stick with a regular pan?

This going to be awesome when it's done. Great work on the wig and vest.

Do you plan on making an accurate frying pan, or are you going to stick with a regular pan?

Haha! Well, I have that nice mid-size one but it's a bit too new. I think I'll pull out one of my moms more loved frying pans from the kitchen. LOL

Thanks everyone~! I'm off now to buy what I need to get working for today.

I had a dream that my wig fell apart. Terrifying!!! ( It's pretty solid so it's not an actual fear. LOL )

I haven't seen the movie but this is coming out great. Most of the props I've seen here have all been more or less guy oriented (weapons and armor) and it is really nice to see something like this come together so well.

I ADORE this. My girls (3 and 5) watch Tangled on a weekly basis, and they loved seeing the pictures of your wig. We have the Disney store Rapunzel dolls, and let me tell you, from even a small scale, the braid is the way to go. The flowing hair is just too impractical for pretty much anything.

I can't wait to see the finished costume.

Thank you all! I plan on wearing it EVERYWHERE Halloween weekend just to get little kids' reactions. It makes my heart so happy to hear there are kids who are enjoying my thread! ;_; I hope I make a good enough Rapunzel that they'll be happy with those pictures too! :D

Time to dye the bodice fabric. *breathes deep* I can do this. I will not screw it up. IT WILL LOOK GOOD!..... I hope.

Flynn doublet ( which is more like a vest ) almost done...

In the process, I glued my mouse to my mousepad, a cotton ball to one hand and I superglued my other hand to the superglue.

It's been a fun night.

I have no idea why the vinyl is photographing with weird honeycomb ripples in it, I have a book on top of it to try to flatten it out, though regardless, it's so form fitting on my Flynn that it pulls straight.

The buckles are WAY more spaced out and lower than they should be. I'm a tool and screwed up on the measurements and had to do some improvising. He's quite skinny though so we'll just place the belts as close as possible under the lowest buckle and make do. So sad I screwed it up! It's hard to make something fitted without a mannequin or model for constant adjustments. *sigh*

Oh well. Anyways, other than those issues, I'm overall quite pleased with how it looks thus far. Tomorrow I'll finish the hooks and studs. @_@ I always under-accomplish what I set out to do. Errgghh..

doublke.jpg

These belts are just for show...not the ones we're actually using. :)

Oh. And his goatee is coming in great! Hah! *thumbsup*

Last edited:
Re: Rapunzel ( and Flynn ) WIP! :: PG 4 Flynn doublet near completion!

This progress is amazing and inspiring! Can't wait to see the final product :)

I did it.

I dyed the custom fabric. And well.... it's purple now. It's darker than I would like, though I guess I should've expected that since it was in the first place, but at least it's purple now instead of pink. Purple is her 'official' colour after all. It was just too hard to see it all together with how PINK the fabric was in person, which was very, compared to the rest of my materials. Especially if I wanted to do purple puff sleeves, which they definitely are, the contrast was way too apparent. =\

Here's the first print, second as it came, and third as it is now... what do you guys think?

ba.png

I just kept looking at this picture and couldn't accept the second as it was... >_<

braidr.jpg

Her outfit is DEFINITELY more purple throughout. I'll just have to ignore the promo pics that make it look more pink. @_@ TOO CONFUSING.

THE FABRIC HUNTING HAS COME TO AN END!

I just got simple cotton for the puff sleeves since there is never any visible shine on them on the purple part and I felt a satin would be TOO much against my cotton bodice. I originally wanted a very dull shine, like a bridal satin or something but there was NOTHING in a colour that would work. And I tried to dye a couple types but the poly content was too high and I couldn't get them to hold the colour I wanted. =\

Either way, I got 2 more spools of satin ribbon ( couldn't decide on a shade of pink so I just bought them all. -_- ;; ) which will dress them up a bit, and then the piping around the bodice is also satin so hopefully it balances it out with the dressy and non dressy. AND that new purple I bought for the skirt is more of a dull finish than the uber shiny stuff I have now.

Anyways! WORKING ON THE BODICE TOMORROW! *_* SO EXCITING.

Here's a shot of my final colour palette! ... Well... unless I change out the purple for the skirt with the stuff I got, which I probably will. The center skirt panel is also still too light for my liking...but I don't know if I want to spend any more money or risk waiting to reorder it... so that can be replaced later!

Overall, I'm VERY happy with how close I've gotten the colours! They all work well together and have that weird sometimes pinky-purple, sometimes really purple look to them in photos. But mainly, I'm just happy with how close the matches are to what I've always seen her costume as. *happy and relieved sigh*

ppl.jpg

The sleeves are crumpled here and so look significantly darker. Though hers are mostly shown as slightly darker than her bodice, which is the route I took, the material definitely isn't as dark as it looks here.

GUH! FINALLY ! I CAN START ON ACTUAL CONSTRUCTION!

Hmm...looking at more references, I think I might go back to one of my original sleeve ribbons... this one is 15mm and though it looks right in person, I think overall on the complete project I'm going to end up thinking they're too wide. Back down to 12 it is!

i dare say that aelynn000 is the best thing to come out of canada since weapon x, maybe better. :love
really super work.

Re: Rapunzel ( and Flynn ) WIP! :: Half done bodice!

i dare say that aelynn000 is the best thing to come out of canada since weapon x, maybe better. :love
really super work.

:$

You are too kind!!!

On the update front, put all the boning in the front of my bodice. Decided I didn't like the spacing. Took it all out, pulled out all the seams and did it again. Happy now!! :D

bodicebone.jpg

Tomorrow hopefully I can get this sucker done. I was invited to a party on the 22 so I have NINE DAYS to finish this and Flynn. O_O

Wish me luck...

edit: balgteagtl the colour!! it's so washed out in these photos!!! close vicinity flash does nothing for my beautiful custom printed fabric! >O

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back