Doctor Who Girl in the Fireplace Clockwork Droid

Grey Pilgrim

My wife has been working on this costume for a couple years now, and the mask has gone through many iterations. For this year's Dragon*Con she let me have a go at creating a replica of the Clockwork Droid mask.

First, I took a cast of her face to sculpt onto. After I made the positive I realized I should have wrapped the plaster further up her forehead so I had more to work with, but eventually built up the edges of the positive with sculpy to compensate.
5202895731_9bc7906495.jpg

Next, I sculpted the mask to the best of my abilities. (Shown next to a reference photo of what I believe is either the real deal or a professional replica)
5299792023_4cda5fd74f.jpg

To mold it, I used a mixture of silicone caulk, mineral spirits, and corn starch. I would NOT recommend using this method for a mold you intend to use after the first couple weeks. It shrinks big-time after a while. Then I made a mother mold using leftover plaster bandages from the face cast.
first_layer_oogoo-150x150.jpg
mother_mold-150x150.jpg

After that, it was simply a matter of mixing up small batches of white casting resin, and slushing it around inside the mask, making sure it didn't pool in the nose, chin, and forehead too much.
cloclwork_mold_inside-225x300.jpg

First pull:
first_pull-300x225.jpg

After trimming with scissors and/or a dremel where necessary, I painted it with acrylics, then coated with a one-step crackle glaze from Michael's.
prototype_inside1-225x300.jpg

A wash with brown and black brought out the cracks, and I finished with a spray acrylic clear coat. (Photo was taken with my iPhone, and the distortion is pretty bad.) The crackle glaze actually reacted with the metallic gold paint, so we got some tarnishing around the gold decoration. It didn't look too bad, but it wasn't the intended effect.
6121986132_bb2c846c28.jpg

The mask made its debut at Dragon*Con this weekend. If you saw us, I was the passable 10th Doctor tagging-along with the Clockwork Droid. Of course, as soon as we got home, we started looking at the photos and realizing where things could be improved with next years' brand new sculpt. And of course, I'd like to build her a retracting weapon, as seen in the episode.
Thanks for reading!
6118590735_2d209e3729.jpg

6118351737_b24a460999.jpg

Dude. That's totally awesome! Hopefully one day I'll have enough skill to be able to sculpt something like that. You should make a Weeping Angel mask!

Re: Doctor Who Clockwork Droid

Thanks for the positive feedback.
Risu - I'll see if she's willing to give up the info on the wig - I know it took a lot of searching and back-and-forths with various wig places.

Re: Doctor Who Girl in the Fireplace Clockwork Dro

LOL! That was my panel you guys were at! You both were awesome! And thanks for coming! Hope to see you again next year. Maybe we'll finally get around to getting our Clockwork masks made as well!

CelticRuins: We've been to your panels for the last 2 years, and they're always fantastic. That particular one was criminally under-attended.

Wig link: Discount Alonge Colonial Wig
It looks very Shirley-Temple with the curls, so you have to work it to get it to look right (as with any other wig).

LOL! That was my panel you guys were at! You both were awesome! And thanks for coming! Hope to see you again next year. Maybe we'll finally get around to getting our Clockwork masks made as well!

Wow, that's a great price! For that wig I had expected more. Thanks for the link.

I ran into you and the other Clockwork Droids at D*Con and I must say that you all were simply fantastic. Great work !!!

Quick update: I've got a new sculpt in progress that will be a lot truer to the original. I'm also optimistic about a different crackle glaze I found. I should be finalizing the sculpt soon and casting by next weekend.

Very inspirational. I've thought about doing one of those myself. It's still a possibility.:) Keep up the good work.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back