9 Tim Burton's Cat Beast

Howlrunner

Sr Member
I'm toying vaguely with the idea of building the cat beast from "9" (at the very least I want it's head and neck sections), so I thought I'd start gathering decent reference together in one place as I know that others may also want to build him.

9_movie_photo_05-535x300.jpg

9image2.jpg

So, as this is supposed to be made from found bits and pieces, can anyone identify parts? Eyes? Specific speaker in mouth?

My first question though is, what kind of cat skull is used?

Is it a domestic cat, as some people have said, or is it a lynx/bobcat? Is there even that much difference in shape between the two?

Last edited:
From the looks the2 skulls are very similar ,
of cause each one varies but most feline skulls seem to look close through species

I'm sure we can get those parts identified. I searched a while thru doll parts for that speaker but couldn't find it. The other parts seen easier, like the compass and the pocket knife in the legs. The finger joints look like pieces from stop motion armetures, and the only real bones on that skeleton appear to be the skull and pelvis.

The speaker looks like omething you could find inside earphones (not the ones that you put inside your ear, the larger ones of course!) or old thelephones.
The left eye looks like one of those small webcam, while the other one looks like stripped down flashlight (just the mirrored cone, light and glass lens). :)

I decided on a bobcat skull for the cat beast - it's only about 2cm longer than a domestic cat and has the almost-touching pieces of bone at the back of the eye socket (that are missing from the domestic cat cast I found). The bobcat also has more of a squared/thicker lower jaw (as evident in the first two production drawings) and longer canines. Plus it just subtly looks more intimidating.

Main thing I want to ID first is the red eye housing. A webcam is a good suggestion. Anything else?

I found a fantastic collection of concept art from 9 that someone gathered together. Some great reference for the Cat Beast:

big_Cinemaniablog_NUMERO9_CONCEPT_38.jpg

big_Cinemaniablog_NUMERO9_CONCEPT_0.jpg

CatBeast_sm.jpg

big_Cinemaniablog_NUMERO9_CONCEPT_40.jpg

big_Cinemaniablog_NUMERO9_CONCEPT_39.jpg

OK, I got myself a bobcat skull and I've been working on this on and off for the past few weeks and have finally got the head finished! :)

Here's a few more reference pics I took (I had others that show the other head details better - like where the wires exit the back of the skull - but they were lost when I had to recover my laptop :angry):

CatBeastReference5.jpg

CatBeastReference4.jpg

CatBeastReference3.jpg

CatBeastReference2.jpg

CatBeastReference.jpg

And here's the finished head. All of the robotic components (both eyes, speaker in the mouth, bladed eye guard, etc) had to be made from scratch using styrene sheet, bottle caps, acrylic domes, tubes, resistors, paper towel holder tops, and anything else I could lay my hands on. The searchlight eye uses an ultrabright blue LED:

CatBeast.jpg

CatBeast2.jpg

CatBeast3.jpg

CatBeast4.jpg

CatBeast5.jpg

CatBeast6.jpg

CatBeast7.jpg

CatBeast8.jpg

Still have to work out how to make it's metal neck, and then I'll think about whether I want to try to tackle the rest of the body or not.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back