Worst Costume Experiences?

Over the new years my friends had a new years party and my one friend Rob had the brilliant idea that when the ball dropped he was going to bust out of the door dressed in nothing but a diaper screaming "I want mommas milk" while i(dressed as Spidey) chased him around. When the time came and he started our retarded actions i had forgotten to add dishwashing liquid to my lenses to clear fog away.

So as we began running sure enough my lenses fogged to hell(the house was kept damn warm seeing as it was winter) and just as sure as i noticed my vision disappered i slammed face first into a sliding door that wasnt closed all the way. I was stunned and flew to my back. I tried to cover the fall up with some quick breakdancing. But alas the hilarity was a there. That night was pretty fun though. Later i filled up one of those child webshooter bottles that you usually putwater in...only i filled it up with grey goose and powerade and was giving people web "shots".

Mine isn't as dramatic as many, but it was memorable for me. It was my worst, best, and only night out in armor so far. A few years back, I decided to do my first armor costume, a sandtrooper, for Halloween. Was supposed to go as Peter Criss with my buddies as KISS, but seriously just could not shake the Star Wars bug.

I got a used FX stormtrooper armor kit from eBay, Master Replicas CE helmet, scratch-built a sandy backpack using ALICE backpack frame, seed trays, radio kit, tupperware, and my BFG was a mash-up of Nerf Longshot CS-6 and Hasbro DC-15.

Worked furiously on the researching, parts acquiring, building, and painting, and weathering in the weeks/days leading up to Saturday night/Halloween night, including all-nighter on Friday night and all day Saturday day. This was my first armor build. I didn't quite have the all the little sandtrooper parts just right like the ab plate, knee plate, etc. Installed two small fans in the helmet, assembled the armor parts with industrial velcro. The weathering was done with tempura paints, a tip I think I picked up on TK409's site.

Talked my wife into wearing an old X-Wing pilot costume I had previously made and made do with a couple of random bits. Good sport.

Come Saturday night, we were to meet our friends at a place that has a couple of bars/restaurants next to each other. Good friends, they were still talking to me after I bailed as the fourth KISS member.

Worked on costume til the last minute, loaded everything up, and we drove 1.5 hour to the pub to meet everyone for dinner and starting the night. Got there, began getting dressed in parking lot, then realized I had left the entire stormtrooper abdominal section in the basement at home (where I painted it). What could I do? There was only one choice, really - go back home and get it.

So, wife stayed, and I drove another 1.5 hour back to the house, grabbed the ab armor, and returned yet another 1.5 hour back to the pub.

Got dressed again in parking lot, backpack and BFG ready to go, and in I went to the pub, where dinner was long over and everyone was about to go to the bar next door for drinks/dance/costume party, where it was even more crowded.

Wow-o, what fun. From the beginning, I couldn't see, sit, eat, drink, pee, hear, or talk where people could understand me. My lenses fogged so bad and had dripping condensation, despite the two fans. I couldn't see more than a few feet in front of me, and had limited mobility with the armor, backpack, and blaster. One armor thigh kept dropping, and I forgot to better secure the chest, but otherwise the industrial velcro really held pretty well. I was so tired I was a little spaced but there was no way I was not going through with this after all of the work.

I had absolute freakin' blast, just amazing. It was the first time outside of a private party that I had "trooped," I guess you could say. People wanted photos with me, people came to talk to me, got photos with a few random Star Wars characters, and so on. Thankfully, the blurs of the orange flightsuit and white helmet of my wife's X-wing pilot stood out enough through the foggy lenses and the dark bar that I could follow her around. I was so thirsty, hungry, sweating, and badly wanting to sit down.

Duct tape KISS got schnockered. Paul Stanley was about 5'7". Ace Frehley's shoulder pads were like 3-ft or more wide and kept poking people. At the after-party, Gene Simmons later laid down in the driveway and wouldn't move, then puked inside, and finally laid down again in a tiny half-bathroom, impossible to move.

What an awesome night it was, despite all the trouble.

Random comments that night: "Why is it dirty?" "Are you in the 501st?" "Can I get a picture with you?" "Where's Peter Criss?" "Can you see?" "Did you make that?," though many comments (and my replies) just sounded like "Mffmmm hhmrr mhrrm fmmrhh hhmmurmm"

Here are some photos:

2009_Halloween_02_zps4d0c26b0.jpg

You can see the condensation in the helmet lens, it made the eyes look all glitterly in photos.
2009_Halloween_zps6dc3ecc8.jpg

A little bit of the backpack and blaster rifle. My right thigh was the one that kept dropping. Check out the shiny TK boots - I had just got them and didn't have the heart yet to dirty them up.
2009_Halloween_05_zps03d5c1f3.jpg

This is one of my all-time favorite photos. Good times, good times...
2009_Halloween_04_zps6d07040a.jpg

I was on a TV show once with actor R Lee Ermey (the Drill SGT from "Full metal Jacket," and he told me that many people want photos with him, with him choking them, like the phrase in that movie where he says, "now choke yourself". He didn't get why, and neither do I. The photos I have of him and I together have no violence of any kind. It'd seen odd to have to explain what that meant anyway....

Oops. I asked a Krieger at Comic-Con to pose while "choking" me last year.

Last year I built my first scratch-built TDK foam armor. At first I built it as as one-piece (the torso stayed attached to the waist/legs down to the knees). I trimmed the waist line after the first test fitting after I realized I couldn't move/sit in the damn thing, I glued black neoprene from an old wet suit to keep it attached at the cut line. I figured I had the problems fixed, until Halloween came and everytime I sat in the it, the armor pushed up into my neck and choked me LOL. I couldn't eat/drink in it because of this issue. Don't even get me started on the mistake on forgetting to make it bathroom accessible.

man. these are some great stories :D time for mine!

first time I ever put some serious effort into making a costume was the hooded cobra commander for a halloween party. I sculpted the hood out of clean clay onto my life cast, then simply poured latex over the whole thing, finally adding a few layers of crepe near the end to make it blue. turned out ok except it was stiff, blocked out all noise, and the latex would pull off from the outside layer (see pics below, only ones I have of it). anyway long story short, I also made some cardboard epaulettes and hired a military jacket and pants, when I got to the party I got out of the car, attached the epaulettes (they were just pushed up my arm onto my shoulders I think) and put on the hood.. walked up the driveway, got to the front door, opened it and strode in, and both epaulettes disintegrated as soon as everyone looked at me. haha! not to mention I had to constantly remove the hood in order to drink... lesson learnt though!

I really wish now I'd taken more photos... feel like doing this again sometime. got superova coming in two weeks at the gold coast.. :D

COBRA_COMMANDER___nearly_done_by_n0regret5.jpg

COBRA_COMMANDER___nearly_done__by_n0regret5.jpg

my to absolute worse are in my Stormtrooper where a spotter failed to notice a HUGE FREAKING hole in the sidewalk and I plunged to almost my balls in it... thank god I didn't broke a leg that time...

and Recently someone found funny times to make fun of my wife (She is overweight but gorgeous!) because she's a big woman. She was standing close to me while I was dressed as Bane in a open ground event. People got a nice glimpse of Bane really punching the **** out of a Jerk until the cops grabbed me. people vouched for me but I still got removed from the place.

I can take pretty much anything people throw at me, there'll be trolls everywhere always... but nobody messes with my wife.

my first time out in my stormtrooper was awesome but still bad in places.
I got the costume in the morning and with no experience of this sort of thing has to put it together before our evening out.
the helmet didn't have a liner so I epoxied a hard hat liner in to it (I thought I was being ingenious but it turns out that's what people do, only with 100% more finesse)
the lenses were badly formed green bubble lenses which left me with no peripheral vision and cataract level forward vision.
I finished in time but had no real time to test wear it so threw it on. every part cut into me somewhere and I suddenly found the helmet made me extremely claustrophobic. (a few drinks sorted that out later)
off we went and it turned out I couldn't sit down so couldn't get in the car. my dad ended up taking me in his jeep with me kind of liying upright.
when I got there the dj must have been a star wars fan because he banged on the imperial March and I felt like the bomb.
despite all this some drunks came over and were like ' hey it's the top gear stig' grrrrrr
2010-10-31005236.jpg

1024yd4.jpg

ROFLOL the STIG!!!

I have a new one... last sunday I was part of a cosplay contest as Bane. I was cheered so loud it appeared that hell had opened up. I delivered the lines and people followed with cheers and all and EVERYONE was sure I was going to win the first prize and then a small chick (really cute) with a small dress and a pink hairpiece showing off her ass-cheeks went on stage, danced a sensual piece and I immediately loose. just like that.

Man I HATE cosplay competitions...

my to absolute worse are in my Stormtrooper where a spotter failed to notice a HUGE FREAKING hole in the sidewalk and I plunged to almost my balls in it... thank god I didn't broke a leg that time...

and Recently someone found funny times to make fun of my wife (She is overweight but gorgeous!) because she's a big woman. She was standing close to me while I was dressed as Bane in a open ground event. People got a nice glimpse of Bane really punching the **** out of a Jerk until the cops grabbed me. people vouched for me but I still got removed from the place.

I can take pretty much anything people throw at me, there'll be trolls everywhere always... but nobody messes with my wife.

Thats just pure ****ed up bull****. You did the right thing. Right behind you on that.

when I got there the dj must have been a star wars fan because he banged on the imperial March and I felt like the bomb.
despite all this some drunks came over and were like ' hey it's the top gear stig' grrrrrr
Some say... that he has no peripheral vision. And that he rides in jeeps standing up. All we do know... is that he's not the Stig. Ha ha ha. First time in a full body armor like that has to be rough.

Just read through the whole thread. Wow. Fun times and real horror stories.

No bad experiences with costuming yet, only really done a couple but there were some awkward difficulties mostly with the masks. Wall-o-text story time!
Threw together a red Pyro (TF2) fairly quickly for an anime con a couple friends decided to hit last minute... Not into anime as much as when I was younger so not hip on current series. Pyro is a favorite character with a simple and distinctive getup that seemed easy enough. About two weeks building the flamethrower from pvc pipe and cardboard junk which actually came out well being my first large prop. Sliced my thumb open with a dull craft knife while working on it with my friend while staying at their place. Didn't hurt but it was deep... lots of blood but thankfully none got on my friend's couch lol. Bactine, toilet paper, and ductape were all that was on hand to patch it up it but it healed. Another one of many crafting "battle scars" on that thumb alone.
Costume was admittedly half-assed... red auto-mechanic's jumpsuit with shoulder patches/soviet gas mask sans filter/rubber gloves with yellow details painted on (promptly started flaking off and was on everything but the gloves after an hour). Had harness and napalm grenades done the night before the con but couldn't get em rigged up to stay on since the pvc pipe was too heavy for the straps which was a letdown. Expectedly hot with the jumpsuit and mask which was tolerable but didn't expect the immediate lens fogging and copious amounts of "filter slobber" pouring out due to humidity inside the mask. And of course was accurate to character since nobody could understand a word I was saying through the thick rubber... had to communicate through "mmmph MMMPH" and hand gestures the whole time ha ha. Had no visibility at all and trying to maneuver a 12lb 5' 6" long flamethrower through crowds was fun... ended up just shouldering the thing (so constantly whacking it into doorways instead of congoers) unless somebody asked for a photo (3 people maybe?). Didn't realize until after the con since it didn't hurt but it bruised my shoulder badly enough that it was purple for over a week. Disappointingly nobody recognized the costume except for a handful of people, and the WORST part was that two... TWO ladies on separate occasions stopped me to say "wow cool a Ghostbuster! Can I get a picture?" Ghostbuster? :facepalm it was pretty sad. The whole con was awful. Next to no high-quality costumes and too many teens in street clothes and frumpy girls dressed as L from Death note. :I That was the second year I went... gave it a chance but that con is off my list for good.

Other costume experience was good fun despite technical issues...
Last Halloween my friend got a bunch of people together to do a cult of Techpriests from Warhammer 40k. One guy couldn't make it so I was given his robe and was invited to wander around the city and hit a pub with them since I helped out with final details and actually made a couple weapons for them. They all made their own masks ahead of time... wasn't planning on going so ended up making mine the night before. Ended up slush casting the lower half of my WIP Borderlands psycho mask sculpt as a base and fabricating some other parts out of cardboard and paperclay and various wires and tubes... made it into a creepy-ass robot-skull looking thing with a grated mouth vent, pinhole lenses, and wires sticking out of the vents and nose that went into my hood/robe. Was okay with it given the timeframe, properly spooky and looked like a decent machine-cultist with the hooded robe and some robot gloves. Only problem with the robe was that it was made for a much bigger guy so it was huge on me. Early on in the night a VERY inebriated lady leaving a bar we were passing came up to us to say how cool we looked and to take a photo... and she was trying to arrange everyone to fit in the shot and complimenting everyone... until I stepped forward and she said "all you are so COOL. OOOh. 'Cept YOU. You SCARY. No offense but you a scary skelet'n midget. OOh. nuh-UH too scary I don't like it." Ha ha. She was seriously spooked.
Out on the town was uh... fun. Mask ended up being very tight the way the strap was rigged to keep the heavy tubing from pulling it off and it quickly pushed into the bridge of my nose hard enough to cut into the skin (resin was unsanded and sharp because I was lazy and didn't know better). Lenses fogged up almost instantly and sweat was in my eyes and burning the cut on my nose all night. Ended up straggling behind everyone else with one other person because their lenses were fogged up badly too. We were completely blind and staggering/bumbling around bumping into things the whole time...plus the robe I borrowed was waay too long so that didn't help. It ended up actually being a really stupid fun night, partly because of the blindness-related antics with the other lens-fogged cultist since we stuck together to help each other out. The only thing that sucked was unexpectedly walking briskly into some kind of knee-high concrete barrier. Woof. Wrecked my shins for the night... then later walked into a traffic light pole lol. And stepped off a few ledges...
But the best part was just how many people stopped us to take photos throughout the night, and surprisingly a few of them knew we were from 40k, some even knew we were techpriests! Later in the night after we were leaving a pub and our group was just standing around outside deciding where to go next suddenly I can hear someone shouting from a distance and quickly getting closer and next thing I know someone has got me from one side and awkwardly hoisted me up and I have NO idea what is going on because I am completely blind from lens fog and couldn't hear well through the thick hood... I go limp, not sure what to do, being flailed from side to side and then realize it's this big drunk guy who is on about how "friggin awesome it is that he found the Borderlands midget" and I totally made his whole night. I was laughing SO hard and said he was close and that the psycho was going to be my next costume but he just kept going on and on about how Borderlands is his favorite game ever and he's so pumped for the third one to come out and that I'm awesome for being his favorite bad guy ever. :lol It was great. We all had way too much fun that night.

Definitely learned my lesson to make sure the insides of masks are sanded smooth and about lenses/humidity and will remember to account for that in the future so I can actually see what the hell is going on so I don't walk off a high ledge and break something ha ha.

ROFLOL the STIG!!!

I have a new one... last sunday I was part of a cosplay contest as Bane. I was cheered so loud it appeared that hell had opened up. I delivered the lines and people followed with cheers and all and EVERYONE was sure I was going to win the first prize and then a small chick (really cute) with a small dress and a pink hairpiece showing off her ass-cheeks went on stage, danced a sensual piece and I immediately loose. just like that.

Man I HATE cosplay competitions...

Yeah, that sounds about right. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of cute girls dancing but that's an all to familier situation I'm sure most have us have felt on Halloween at some point. Hot girl in slutty costume wins the contest over person who actually worked hard to put together a decent costume....so cliche

Getting superglue on my chromed Thomas Bangalter helmet.

Then bashing the back of my head and getting a scratch at a con on the back of it.

Drives me insane every day,t oo expensive to repaint, besides tehchromers did a terrible job as is and never refunded/redid so whatever.

Hot girl in slutty costume wins the contest over person who actually worked hard to put together a decent costume....so cliche

The office Halloween costume contest equivalent of that is a coworker cross-dressing - wins every single time regardless of how awesome the other entrants' costumes are.

Getting superglue on my chromed Thomas Bangalter helmet.

Then bashing the back of my head and getting a scratch at a con on the back of it.

Drives me insane every day,t oo expensive to repaint, besides tehchromers did a terrible job as is and never refunded/redid so whatever.

If you wanna sell it for a price let me know LOL!!!!

Id have to sell it at more than £400 to even make a profit from the cost of making it. And i doubt anyone would buy it in that condition with the scratches n whatnot :/

The office Halloween costume contest equivalent of that is a coworker cross-dressing - wins every single time regardless of how awesome the other entrants' costumes are.

i feel you here, me and my wife worked months on our costumes for my company costume party this past year and one of my buddies dressed as a slutty chick and won i was like WTF? totally not cool

Years ago being an oblivious nerdy 14 year old lacking foresight(skin) and deciding that wearing underwear with my spandex 1st season Star Trek The Next Generation jumpsuit at a big city convention would be a bad idea because it would ruin the form fit sleek look with "panty" lines... not realizing pubertal development would be more noticeable...

Not strictly bad but dressed in full Seventh Doctor Who costume and getting ignored with group photo pictures. Sigh.

I think cosplaying needs a whole different "in your face" persona. Something I do not have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back