The 11th Doctor's Sonic Cane

the DOCTOR

Sr Member
Having watched TV's 'Doctor Who' on saturday, I thought it might be nice to make a Sonic Cane like his.

So, having a spare 11th Doctor sonic, an old pool cue, a 60mm plastic sphere and a long weekend to hand, I thought I'd make one.

CIMG2897.jpg

CIMG2898.jpg

CIMG2889.jpg

CIMG2896.jpg

Works just like the one on the show, only real difference is mine has a taper, whereas the one on TV was straight.

It's a little bit fast of a and dirty build, and the four part ball section needs some fine tuning, but it'll do for now!

:D

Gah, you beat me to it. This was the first time I saw a prop on any show or movie and thought, "I can make that!"

Where did you get the sphere and how did you quarter it so cleanly?

Wow, you've definitely won the award for "fastest build". After seeing such a fine prop I was also tempted to build one, hope you're able to provide tips for painting it silver and attaching the ball quadrants.

Shame the rest of the episode was a little bit "meh".

Very nice! Does the button on the side open it up too? Looks like a release button for an automatic umbrella...

Oh dear oh dear oh dear - someone actually made it!

Well done but "sheesh" what a lame excuse for a prop :p (that isn't aimed at you, its aimed at Moffett!)

wow thats brilliant! i want one:) btw i think the doctor used the middle of the cane to emit a light.

He did.

View attachment 65842

Also, the cane was straight with a heavily tapered tip.

View attachment 65843

Those things aside, this is still a great build, and wow was it fast!

On a side note, this is the first time, out of ALL the Doctor Who stories that I felt the Doctor was over reliant on his sonic. I mean, he loaned it out so he built a new one...for a simple scan...while he was dying? :unsure

I'm attempting to make this prop, as my first prop making project!

I was just wondering if you could impart any knowledge or tips on the creation process?

Immediately after this episode I knew this item was prime material for a buildup here over the next few weeks but I'm delightfully astounded it came to fruition far sooner, stellar work sir!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back