Acme ROCKETEER Rocketpack kit build PICS PAGE 5

Re: Acme ROCKETEER Rocketpack kit build PICS 10/10

Turned out fairly well I think.
Never perfect, but It looks nice.
I will have to let it cure for a few weeks before handling....
DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

Thanks.
Im going to let it sit for a month before I touch it - and when I do, its being done with cotton gloves.
I will also have to pick out a good broze paint for the rocket tips and need to pick up black pinstripe for the recessed areas of the radiator.

Words cannot describe how beautiful that looks. Seriously.

Also, I have an idea for the tips. I'll call you later about it.

EDIT: I'll post it here too: http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/pearlex/powders/index.php

I used their copper pigment on some lightsabers and it looked amazing. Just load a little into some clear gloss or semi-gloss, and spray with an airbrush or airgun

Last edited:

Im very flattered. Thank you for the compliments.
Im never satisfied with my own work.
The photos really make it look awesome.
I ordered some white cotton gloves to handle this with in a few weeks, though I will prob let it go a month before touching it.
I have a test piece of plastic I have the coating on which I will use to test how well masking on this paint works. If it holds up, I can proceed to the detail phase which includes painting the rocket tips and also I will finish and attach the radiator and attach the engines.
I should be ordering the gas springs soon for the engine flaps. Im really excited to see this all done!

It looks amazing. Most people really don't pick up on the imperfections that only the creator knows exist.

Working with this kit is really all about patience - more so than with any other kit simply because of the price and rarity of this kit. You really HAVE to take your time and pace yourself so you don't damage your investment.
It's going to be tough to wait a month to go back to work on this, but its the right decision and it will be worth the wait.

If the finish ends up being too delicate to mask, I think I have an out of the box solution.

Wow, that paint looks great! Did you ever find a solution to the clear? going with the Floor wax?

Im all ears...er....eyes....

It involves VERY thin plastic sheeting, and possibly rubberbands and/or tape used kind of differently. I'll go over it on the phone. It's too complex to type out. If you end up going that route, text accompanied by photos will help others do it.

that is a stunning rocket pack, I especially like the "booster nozzles" very well done, wish I could find a kit like that lol

-Mike

I sent an email message to the company who makes the silver paint I used, asking if they had a specific clear coat product they sell or could recommend to coat the finish.
I'm really not too keen on the Future floor wax stuff - I have read on other forums that it WILL yellow over time but also that it is a pain to clean - and since I would have to use my father's full size spray gun - he would NOT be cool with me putting that stuff in there.
Worst case scenario, I don't clear-coat at all and I just baby this thing and try to only handle it with cotton gloves and keep it for display only.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back