Acme ROCKETEER Rocketpack kit build PICS PAGE 5

Re: Acme ROCKETEER Rocketpack kit build PICS 9/26

One more thing....
Look how good that paint looks on the bare white plastic....
I am still racking my brain on to weather I should coat this with a gloss white or a gloss black as the base before the silver....
I really want to get this one right.

Re: Acme ROCKETEER Rocketpack kit build PICS 9/12

That floor wax stuff you guys speak of - where do you get it and how does it come (in a can?)
painttest2.jpg

Future Acrylic Shine Floor Wax 27 oz. 00182

Thank you.
What would you dilute it with?
I got another two weeks or more before I can start even putting primer on the kit. I can only work on it one day a week and right now, I can't go any further until I get the hardware for mounting the flaps.

Oh, and thanks to Tamiya having trouble importing their products into the US right now, I can't seem to find ANYONE that has any of the TS-14 Gloss Black spray cans in stock! My local hobby shop only has ONE can left and I'm told he does not know when he will get more back in stock (could be months!) and I'd rather not use any other brand spray paint to put the gloss base coat down.
I could try Krylon on some test plastic, but I am honestly spoiled by the Tamiya products.....
Sigh...

Very cool! What would the jetpack shell be worth if it were made out entirely of copper or aluminum...and the Rocketeer helmet too...any ideas?

Very cool! What would the jetpack shell be worth if it were made out entirely of copper or aluminum...and the Rocketeer helmet too...any ideas?

Depends on how accurate it is.
Master Replicas had a hard time getting their helmet to look screen accurate AND be made of metal - they succeeded only with the prototype.
To my knowlege, no one has made a replica of the jetpack in metal. I'm sure it would demand a high dollar value in our circle.

Looks great GF. I think if it were me, I would have every picture include your Nike Mag's. :love

Dilute the Future 50-50 with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. You CAN run it through an air brush as is, but you risk clogging and splattering. Thinning it with the alcohol guarantees a good application.

One person did a metal pack, but it wasn't very screen accurate.

I'll check to see if my shop has any of the Tamiya left in stock. They usually have several cans of every color.

If they're out or don't have enough, I have another gloss black solution. Try gloss black ceramic paint from the auto store. I did some lightsaber parts in that and they almost looked gloss powder coated. Beautiful finish. You have to spray it in a climate controlled area, but your pop's shop is perfect for that.

Depends on how accurate it is.
Master Replicas had a hard time getting their helmet to look screen accurate AND be made of metal - they succeeded only with the prototype.
To my knowlege, no one has made a replica of the jetpack in metal. I'm sure it would demand a high dollar value in our circle.

Is there a good metal Master Replicas prototype rollin' around? The ad model that they used to promote it was fiberglass I believe. It was painted by my friend over at HMS. And EvilRocketeer now owns it. It wasn't metal. I haven't seen any metal prototypes from them that were "good".

- Jeff

Is there a good metal Master Replicas prototype rollin' around? The ad model that they used to promote it was fiberglass I believe. It was painted by my friend over at HMS. And EvilRocketeer now owns it. It wasn't metal. I haven't seen any metal prototypes from them that were "good".

- Jeff

From what I read, Dave Stevens got one before he passed. It was a metal prototype they hand crafted but the factory in china or wherever were unable to reproduce it exactly. Thats what I had read anyway.

So no luck on the Tamiya hunt. Looks like pretty much everyone is out of stock until further notice....sigh.
I am gonig to test out a can of Krylon gloss I purchased. The spray is improved on their newest cans so I will see how well it lays and how much gloss it has.
My next option to test is mixing autobody gloss black and adding MORE gloss to the mix.
I still have to test and see how well that silver paint looks on a gloss black basecoat.
As you saw in my last posted pic, the silver paint looked GREAT right on the bare plastic and gave a nearly chrome-mirror finish.
My greatest fear is that I won't get that look when I go to do the final paint so I am going to take my time and do some more tests.

Re: Acme ROCKETEER Rocketpack kit build PICS 10/4

Got alot done - I was able to go to the shop two consecutive days this week thanks to a cancelled performance at my work.
I was able to conduct a multitude of paint tests on some spare kit parts I had lying around and determined my best course of action for finishing this.
Holes were drilled behind the engines to hold them in place.
I also spent a great deal of time pre-prepping the kit for primer:
Puttying and sanding the inside of the shell's "exposed" areas
Cleaning the kit with a solvent checmical - because I would hate to hit this thing with paint only to have it not stick because of pesky release agent still on the surface.
I glued the 'finlets' into place on the tips of the rockets - used a 2-part weld glue that is STRONGER than crazy glue and they feel like they will hold nicely.
Finally, I was able to hit this baby with primer. I chose Krylon brand satin white. Krylon's new nozel spray system on their spray cans is EXCEPTIONAL, and gave a very clean and smooth finish.
Next week, I wetsand and will likely be able to hit this with the silver paint....
DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

That dork is the handsomest person I know - next you you of course.
Now I am on the hunt for appropriate-sized struts to use on the pack.
The kit says to just use rods, like we see on evan.org/jetpack BUT the hero packs had piston struts, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know...

Try McMaster Carr. They may have some. Barring that, worse case scenario, my machinist could probably make you a couple when my saber run is done.

This looks like the right size.
10.75" total extended length.
I will have to call them tomm and make sure the rod end part #8405K311 will fit.
Goin with the gas spring will be a much better look than simply just the rod as we see done on Evan's pack as well as the recommended part straight from Acme.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back