Acme ROCKETEER Rocketpack kit build PICS PAGE 5

Re: Acme ROCKETEER Rocketpack kit build

OK, lots of new pictures here to share.
Basically, I've just been focusing on finishing the engines first, though I did manage to sand down the mold seams on the shell.
I got to break in my new airbrush - works like a charm.
I did a layered paint job - starting with the satin black, I highlighted areas with copper and silver, then went over everything with gunmetal to blend it all. I am happy with how it came out.
Next week I will hopefully have time to start working on the engine flaps. Once those are done, I can start prepping the shell and radiator vent for paint!
DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

Re: Acme ROCKETEER Rocketpack kit build PICS 9/12

I'm wondering how far up I should mount the engines? In the movie, the bottom of the engines look pretty flush with the bottom rim of the shell, though you don't quiet see all the "guts" of the engines as well that way - and I have seen replica packs with the engines mounted slightly past the bottom rim.

I'm not sure, but do the engine flaps somewhat dictate their placement? So they don't crash.

I'm not sure, but do the engine flaps somewhat dictate their placement? So they don't crash.

I believe so.
I have seen others finish the kit where the engines are sticking out a little more than in the movie - as such, you cannot fold the flaps forward the whole way - but that just means you display the pack resting at an angle.

At this point, I've pretty much decided on using Allclad II "Polished Alluminum" color.
I found a hobby shop in my area that carries the Allclad products as well as Tamiya's gloss black rattle cans so I should be good for now.

I believe so.
I have seen others finish the kit where the engines are sticking out a little more than in the movie - as such, you cannot fold the flaps forward the whole way - but that just means you display the pack resting at an angle.

At this point, I've pretty much decided on using Allclad II "Polished Alluminum" color.
I found a hobby shop in my area that carries the Allclad products as well as Tamiya's gloss black rattle cans so I should be good for now.

I posted ALOT of pics of the rocket pack at Disney's MGM/hollywood studios. I'll see if I can find the link...

Thanks for the link. Def going to try and make my paint job look better. I'm going for the "Hero" look

Im going to be picking up the Allclad paint and gloss this week to try out on some sample pieces of plastic.
It's been recommended to me to only use the Allclad gloss basecoat, but if my research finds that the Tamiya will work just as good, it may be more cost effective.
The kit is big so I will need ALOT of the paint to cover it.

Im going to be picking up the Allclad paint and gloss this week to try out on some sample pieces of plastic.
It's been recommended to me to only use the Allclad gloss basecoat, but if my research finds that the Tamiya will work just as good, it may be more cost effective.
The kit is big so I will need ALOT of the paint to cover it.

I've used Alclad a few times, and once used plasticote glass black from a spray can. The other two times, I used Testers gloss black from a bottle thinned and run through my air brush. They all turned out beautifully. You just need to have a smooth, wetsanded surface for the gloss black to go on to. Also, be very very very sure you only use very light coats of the Alclad unto you reach the luster you like. Putting it on too heavy will just make it look like any silver spray paint. The trick is to keep it translucent, so the black shows through a little, creating the illusion of reflective metal.

I'm off on Thursday this coming week if you want me to come over and give you a hand.

Aaron,
My day to go to the shop now is Mondays only - so I only have one day a week to work on this.
I'm just wondering how many of the Alclad bottles I a going to need to cover this thing.
I am definitely going to do several tests on plastic sheets to get the hang of it before I put any on the kit.

Aaron,
My day to go to the shop now is Mondays only - so I only have one day a week to work on this.
I'm just wondering how many of the Alclad bottles I a going to need to cover this thing.
I am definitely going to do several tests on plastic sheets to get the hang of it before I put any on the kit.

Next Monday I have off is Oct. 2nd, but I might be out of town. I'll let you know. I think you're going to need about 2, possibly 3, bottles total for the pack. I think I have one or two unused bottles of the chrome if you run out and can't find more.

There is a place about 20 min from where I live called "CoolTrains" that carries all of Alclad's products. I will be picking up a bottle of the Chrome AND the Polished Alluminum and test them both out and see what finish I prefer.
I think I am going to use Tamiya TS-14 for the gloss black. I have continually been impressed with the Tamiya rattle can products, but again - I will test it out on scrap plastic and see how everything looks.

OK....
Tried the Allclad chrome today. Looks nice when I was able to get a good coat - but this stuff is really hard to work with because if you go over it too much you get a blotchy effect where some areas are more chrome than others....
That being the case, I tried some stuff I had left over from painting my hoverboard magnets....
As pictured below, I got this spray can paint from AC Moore and just tested it inside the shell. I am actually quite pleased with how it looks and it will look even better with a glosscoat. I think this is the stuff I am going to use - it is cheaper and will have alot less headache.
I will do some tests to see what primer to use as the basecoat - since I won't be going with Allclad I don't think I have to use gloss black. I will start with a light gray primer, wetsand, then maybe one final coat of white primer and another wet sand THEN apply the silver paint.
Here is a quick shot I took with the camera on my phone:
silvertest.jpg

I'd test any clear coat you're considering. Most will attack the chrome paint leaving a dull grey. The only one I've used that somewhat works is Future floor wax. It's acrylic so there are no solvents to cause issues. It still dulls the chome a bit, but leave a decent polish aluminum that I think works for this!

Seconding Talisen's remark. I've yet to find a clear coat that doesn't dull chrome when sprayed on top. Future is the only thing I've seen keep most of the luster (and even that cuts it a tiny little bit).

Frosty were you able to reach out to rocketbobs on the method he used on mine? It has a clear coat that didnt dull it.

Frosty were you able to reach out to rocketbobs on the method he used on mine? It has a clear coat that didnt dull it.

Not yet, been really racking my brain to figure this one out on my own.
Here is a quick spray I did on the backside of the shell. I have since stripped it off, but I was happy with how nice it looked going on the bare plastic.
I did another test on a scrap piece of plastic, first coating it with a gloss black - the shine was even better.
I think this is the stuff I am going to use.
That floor wax stuff you guys speak of - where do you get it and how does it come (in a can?)
painttest2.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back