The One-Stop X-Wing Thread (1/24 original trilogy studio models only)

Re: The One-Stop X-Wing Thread

I have a question about the "barber shop pole" stripe on the two guns. Did all x-wings have this or only a specific one? I am currently working on one and was wondering if it was a required part of the paint scheme for all x-wings?

I have a question about the "barber shop pole" stripe on the two guns. Did all x-wings have this or only a specific one? I am currently working on one and was wondering if it was a required part of the paint scheme for all x-wings?

I thought it was just Red 5 that had the blue stripes, but I could be wrong. Maybe some others had different colored stripes? I just built an X, and painted the stripes yellow:

Yellow Cannon1.jpg

No, they don't all have stripes. Red 5 and Red 3 do, most if not all of the others do not.

Red 5 : 2 guns with blue stripes
Red 3 : not on the ANH one (with the grey beige cockpit)

Red 2 : 1 gun (topside right) with a grey strip, that go farer than the red 5 ones

Do any of the miniatures have the little arrow shape pointing towards the proton grenade launcher as did the full size one in ANH?

Blue Leader/ Red II have it. This is the original first build XWing that was sent to Elstree for building the full scale mockup.
Pretty sure no other XWings have the red arrow by the torpedo launcher.

Do any of the miniatures have the little arrow shape pointing towards the proton grenade launcher as did the full size one in ANH?

Hi all. I've spent the last few days very happily wading through the stuck threads, looking at pics and chasing details, colours etc to help get a scratch build under way. Just wanted to first say that this is a brilliant collection of information, photos and insights. Many thanks to those who have contributed! :thumbsup :cool Wonderful idea and a real treasure trove.

I just had a long look at the fight scene over the D.S. in ANH and in doing so noticed for the first time just how often Red 2 appears. Not only on its own, posing as Red 5 when not as itself, but in pairs as well. Is this a case of multiple uses of one take (compositing, is it called?) to flesh out the Rebel Fleet? One good instance is the very first space shot of all of the fighters, X and Y, as they head out to meet the D.S. As they fly towards, then past, the camera there are four Red 2 X Wings that I can see, right there. :)

Anyway, many thanks for all of the discussions and model info.

Check out Joe Johnstons page he's selling signed slides of X-wings and Y-wings and look its Red 4
1410884_370372039775591_313389205_o-458x458.jpg

Question on the engines on Red 5;

Do the inner engines on the studio models use the same Phantom engine parts used on the exposed engines? Are the all the same? If I'm reading right I'd need 8 of one engine half and 4 of the other.

Working on the Proshop kit and will be turning new engines on a homemade lathe and it's tough to get a good look at the inner engine parts in most cases, plus some builders flat out miss some noticeable differences on a specific X-Wing. I don't expect perfection with this kit but want to represent what was seen

I am about to start an X-Wing project, and I am wondering about the bird that Wedge piloted during the battle of Endor.
He was always Red/Rogue 2, but after Luke left for Dagobah, Wedge took over as Red/Rogue leader...
At the battle of Endor, was he still piloting Red 2? Essentially the same ship, but with different markings, or were the markings still the same?
I've been looking all over for information on this specific bird, but have been coming up empty handed...
Any of you super-nerds (That's a compliment by the way) have insight or opinions on this?
I went through the movie looking for some screen caps to help identify, but all I came up with was a screen cap that actually shows the X-Wing flying in front of the Falcon in the Death Star tunnel was marked as Red 3.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back