The One-Stop X-Wing Thread (1/24 original trilogy studio models only)

Re: The One-Stop X-Wing Thread

Third one in is Red 5!!

redrollcall.jpg

Excuse my ignorance but wasn't that known already ?

(ignoring the misidentification of the other X-wings)
View attachment 218456

Why does it look like the one marked as Red 2 is another Red 1? Looking at the top left wing of the 4th bird it appears as those there is only 1 stripe. And when you look at the image in Jason's post the weathering half way down the fuselage looks similar.

- - - Updated - - -

Why does it look like the one marked as Red 2 is another Red 1? Looking at the top left wing of the 4th bird it appears as those there is only 1 stripe. And when you look at the image in Jason's post the weathering half way down the fuselage looks similar.

Because it is, I think I got this pic off another forum where the person was under the delusion that was Red 2 instead of the Red 1 (pyro?) thus my " (ignoring the misidentification of the other X-wings)" comment. I was just using the picture because it shows Red 5's stripes.

Last edited:

kk1, I think I remember who you mean. I had to make the same claim. Two red leaders.

Red Leader has always been my favorite X. These table photos are the only time we see a Hero and a Pyro representing the same ship together. Red Leader Pyro looks weathered to match. More evidence that there was great care taken with the paint and detailing on the early Pyros.

Blue Leader would have still been overseas and not yet converted to Red 2? The first X Wing ever built certainly deserves to be in the group shot. That's what you get when you spend the holidays traveling.

kk1, I think I remember who you mean. I had to make the same claim. Two red leaders.

Red Leader has always been my favorite X. These table photos are the only time we see a Hero and a Pyro representing the same ship together. Red Leader Pyro looks weathered to match. More evidence that there was great care taken with the paint and detailing on the early Pyros.

And the Insider pic I posted gives you a great shot of the differences between the two, looks like the burn marks are slightly extended on the one.

And the Insider pic I posted gives you a great shot of the differences between the two, looks like the burn marks are slightly extended on the one.

Definitely a great view there. Big thanks. I see what you mean, the general weathering matches the Hero maybe they even scorched it up a little extra. Here's one of the bottom from the Sculpting A Galaxy DVD.
cap018.jpg

Jase are you using the early generation Eaves copied Pyro of DaveG for the map? Probably the sharpest look at these parts in the cockpit. Beaz had two great giant shots also but just adding the Tamiya Lancaster to the list solves a lot of puzzles for me.

The still mystery bits like 17 would have been a control joystick? There's the part in the Airfix 1/24 Bf109 that reminds me of it. A huge maybe but these guys might have been reaching for just that on the sprue.

Here's barely a look at 17 from Genes set of that primered auctioned Pyro.
photo-20.png

The part not highlighted just next to 17 and between 14 seems to me like a separate part from 17 itself. Already mentioned but maybe 17 is actually two parts. With these tiny details it is really hard to tell. Part #6 is quite the generic detail. It looks sharp on top like a mold line? I was going to use an antenna from one of the AMT trucks because the mold seam is more obvious on their kits. Parts like these drive me nuts. There's just not much to go on.

OK guys, here's an updated shot of most of the available kits:

View attachment 256128

From the left:
--Revell "Pocket"
--FM 1:72
--ERTL smallest
--Revell mid
--ERTL "standard" or "classic"
--ERTL Pro-Shop
--Revell new 1:30
--Hasbro toy
--Captain Cardboard
--Salzo
--Maxi-Brute

Missing:
--FM 1:48
--Rodmart
--Kotobukia or whatever

Last edited:

And the two Japanese ones from the 1970s! I can take pics with the Rodmart and Salzo if you want to photoshop them into a mega pic?

This adds in the Icons fuselage...

I had to comp it in, but again I think the sizing is at least 99% accurate.

There was an old pic Beaz posted of this Icons fuse along side a pyro casting that made its rounds, and a copy of the Maxi-Brute. It was the Maxi-Brute in Beaz's image that allowed me to size the Icons hull within my image.

Comp027.jpg

From the left:
--Revell "Pocket"
--FM 1:72
--ERTL smallest
--Revell mid
--ERTL "standard" or "classic"
--ERTL Pro-Shop
--Revell new 1:30
--Hasbro toy
--Captain Cardboard
--Icons
--Salzo
--Maxi-Brute

Of note, the Revell new 1:30 scale fuse does not overhang the steel ruler since it is a one-dimension paper image, where as the others are actual fuselages with some height which - based on the camera angle - allows the butt plates to overhang the ruler in the image.

Last edited:

I am a longtime stalker of these forum..heh! I have bought a SS resin X-wing for reference of a scratch build. Does anyone have a complete list of all the donor kits to scratch build the SS X-wing?
Thank you so much!

Welcome taggray.

You won't find one complete list in any one place. Without being rude many of the long time modellers here will have such a list but won't give new members here what they have worked hard to compile or accumulate. The best thing to do would be to search through the links on the first page as you'll find many of the different kits and parts mentioned within.

Happy hunting.

So I was watching a documetary (I believe it was after Empire but pre-Jedi) and they were showing the filming of some SW effects and during the part about the Matte painting for when Obi-wan shuts down the tractor beam an X-wing model was sitting next to the camera, but I don't recognize it. Solid red stripe with black scorching behind the nose cone...any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-04-26 at 10.30.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-04-26 at 10.30.09 PM.png
    328.4 KB · Views: 730

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back