The Prop Store First Look On Location: Buttercup Valley, 1982

It took me 25 years to find out, but the speeder bikes were there simply because they were on the same trucks with the skiffs, from the manufacturers. So they stored them under the platform until they moved on to Crescent City, CA for the Endor scenes.

Cool....no deleted speeder bikes in the desert scenes then!

anyone been to the location now ? -James

A friend and I were there during filming. If we had gotten there a couple weeks earlier they would have hired us for extra help. One of the crew managers (I think he was head of FX or a Propmaster) was nice enough to give us a small tour of the set. Even below where the stuntmen fell into the Sarlacc Pit. Going back there now in my opinion would be futile, its nothing but flat land and sand dunes and the road out to there has long ago been covered over and unless you had a 4 wheel drive there's risk of getting stuck out there in the middle of nowhere from what I remember.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have been to Buttercup Valley in recent years (thanks to Mike and other for the help in locating the site), and you can in fact locate the exact spot where the set was constructed today. The chain-linked fence that once surrounded the set for security can still be located with a metal detector, as the fence posts were cut off at ground level during the set strike, rather than being completely removed. Those posts will probably forever mark the location.

Once you realize you're in the right spot, there is foam, wood and debris on the ground, I'm sure even now. Evidence of what once was....

Best,
Brandon

Brandon, did you ever find those pics of the sail mechanism I fixed for you? I'd love to see that thing again!

I've been back to the site four times and come back with debris everytime.

Not as nice as the FIRST time I revisted.

But that's a whole other story. (which may or may not be in an issue of Bantha Tracks)

(Grand Theft starship)

Wow just saw this thread.
Fantastic story Mike and thanks for sharing.
What an incredible experience to have had.
Definitely looking forward to a part 2!

I was lucky enough to get to go to Buttercup with Mic on one of those trips. I too got some small, indistinguishable bits of the set outta the dirt.

Good times.

I think its so cool how they took pieces of the set!! If it were me I would have been like everyone get a corner of the whole thing, and remember lift with your knees!!

Great pics and great story!

Minor note: Any of the "stunt doubles" might be stand-ins instead. Hard to say either way.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back