Spaceballs: Eagle 5

KrokoHunter

Sr Member
Hey guys'n'gals

A automotive modelbuilding friend of me, wants to have a try at some SciFi-related subjects, since he'll participate at SpaceDays next year together with me.

So what would be better than choosing a SciFi' "car" ... and what better than Lone Stars "Eagle 5" from Spaceballs :)

However, we've found next to no references. The only refs we have is a couple of pics from Cinefex, and a couple of screenshots.

As far as we know, the studiomodel was build in 1/12th scale. Can anybody confirm this? and if so, was the model based on some 1/12th scale model or toy for the chassis and wheels? (as far as we know, no kit of the Winnebago exists in that size)

I hope you guys can help out here... I soooo wanna see him build this one ... gonna be awesome!

Just found out, that it was built in 1/24th scale ... makes things a lot easier ..

I concluded that a bit too soon... The measurements don't fit in 1/24th scale ... that would only make it roughly 18" long ... the original model was 36" long ... which fits a 1/12th model of a 33' 1986 Cheiftain Winnebago (if you exclude a couple of inches for the enginebells)!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could do a diorama with the guys "combing the desert"....... :lol

attachment.php

Gene

As far as we know, the studiomodel was build in 1/12th scale. Can anybody confirm this?
A full size '86 Winnebago Chieftain (the model Eagle 5 is based on) is roughly 33' in length. Going by the photo Sith Sheriff Brody posted above, 1/12 scale (about 33" long) seems correct.

Here are a few photos I took around 1989ish at a SFX exhibit in Chicago. These are scans of photos printed from slides. I have the original slides and copy prints packed away somewhere. I'm 99% sure these are the only images I took of this model.

Hey guys'n'gals

A automotive modelbuilding friend of me, wants to have a try at some SciFi-related subjects, since he'll participate at SpaceDays next year together with me.

So what would be better than choosing a SciFi' "car" ... and what better than Lone Stars "Eagle 5" from Spaceballs :)

However, we've found next to no references. The only refs we have is a couple of pics from Cinefex, and a couple of screenshots.

As far as we know, the studiomodel was build in 1/12th scale. Can anybody confirm this? and if so, was the model based on some 1/12th scale model or toy for the chassis and wheels? (as far as we know, no kit of the Winnebago exists in that size)

I hope you guys can help out here... I soooo wanna see him build this one ... gonna be awesome!

Here are a few photos I took around 1989ish at a SFX exhibit in Chicago. These are scans of photos printed from slides. I have the original slides and copy prints packed away somewhere. I'm 99% sure these are the only images I took of this model.

Hey Dan

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

The pics are awesome!!!

Hey Dan

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

The pics are awesome!!!

Glad you like them. You may try to search flikr, others may have photos from similar events. The show was at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. I believe it was called SFX, they had a SFX 2 show a few years later with different props.

When you get to the build let me know, I can dig out the prints and either send them to you or just scan them at a higher resolution.

Last edited:
KrokoHunter said:
Our friend Staermose will make some screencaps for us. We'll have them next week. I'll let you know if we need them better than that.

Done ;)

SpaceballsEagle5_0021_Layer1.jpg

More pics here, click for larger version.

^ The film was clearly meant to be a loose Star Wars parody; some of the references were simply a little more blatant than others.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back