Toronto Fan Expo. Pics of the entire weekend

DAVIDYR1

Official Licensee
Unfortunately the Fan Expo Convention held annually in Toronto fell on the Dragon Con weekend this year. As a result I wasnt able to attend but did enjoy a great weekend here interacting with the public and collaborating with the Canadian distributor for Smooth-On products and Chavant clay.
Both Sculpture Supply Canada and myself arranged to be both side by side in the convention hall so that we could do regular life casting demos on willing 'victims' as we called them...:)...all throughout the weekend.
The life casts were done with Body Double Quick Set...90second working time...and to top it all off the convention was pretty hot so...heat + platinum silicones meant even less working time. Easily done though...small batches mixed one after the other....first ones with a bit of silicone solvent to dilute the Body double and subsequent layers just straight silicone.
The mother mold...being in a convention hall time was important to consider...big crowds around us waiting to see what we were up to, so to speed things up we'd just dip the entire rolls of plaster bandages into our pale and unroll it overtop of the life cast. Not recommended...but rather than cutting up the bandages and applying them one at a time this saved us a lot of time.
In the end...the show proved a huge success. Lots of traffic...never a moment when our booth wasnt practically full of people or when doing the lifecasting for Smooth On the hallway was so packed with onlookers that you couldnt even get by.
It really was a lot of fun...and a great chance to get some instant and on hand feedback to our work.

Once again, Chavant also was represented and heavily promoted at our booth. We had 4 sculptures going, Chavant pubblicity material and free samples to those that were genuanely interested in sculpting. Although the clay bricks were handed out at no charge, they weren't just on our table as free samples for all to just take away. Sculptors of all kinds that were unfamiliar with Chavant were the ones that got to take some with them. We really wanted to promote it to a possible clientell that 'would' begin to purchase and use it after trying it....rather that the 'hey this is free let's take a brick' crowd that would never even test out the clay.

Chavant is a great company and we did our best to ensure they got the best exposure possible for their products.
There were also a lot of union special effects artists at the show....Chavant really gets around in our industry. It was great to meet other fellow mask or costume makers and chat about techniques, clays and different aspects of moldmaking. Those that weren't familira with Chavant got a chance to sample some of the different clays at our booth, see the variety of clays available and take some home with them to further try out.

All in all...I'd say a big success. By the morning of the second day we'd had already given away all of the clay brick samples we had for the entire 3 day event...crowds were always present and the industry turn out was better than I could have expected.
Although I certainly missed being at DC, this truly was a great weekend for us. :)

Here's a few pics...

lifecast19.jpg

lifecast18.jpg

lifecast11.jpg

lifecast4.jpg

lifecast20.jpg

This guy felt like he'd died and went to heaven...LOL.....

lifecast21.jpg

Some life casting pics...

lifecast14.jpg

lifecast9.jpg

lifecast16.jpg

lifecast17.jpg

lifecast13.jpg

lifecast8.jpg

lifecast2.jpg

This was the best part...Removing the body double casting. I would divide the group watching into groups that could get a good look at the mold being peeled off around the eye brows and lashes. They were always amazed to see the facial hair just pull out of the silicone and how the skin separated itself from the silicone.

lifecast5.jpg

lifecast2.jpg

lifecast6.jpg

lifecast12.jpg

lifecast.jpg

I'll have many more pics soon. We took some really great close ups of all the stages of the lifecasting and once I get them I'll post some up.

David

<div class='quotetop'>(Talisen @ Sep 4 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]1312767[/snapback]</div>
As one of those willing 'victims' of the casting, I will say that you did a great job.
[/b]

Hey buddy....
That's right...and not only were you one of the victims I believe...only because the whole weekend is a blurr now...but I think you were the very first on Friday morning.
Cool of you to volunteer...and you were great.

Always nice seeing board members at these events. A few RPF members actually....and got another one under silicone too...:)

Thanks again my friend...

David

I just got these links from Steven Lam at tk878@501st.ca.
These are great close ups of the 2 board members who got their life casts done at the show.
Ken who's already chimed in :thumbsup and Roy who's seen in the second link. Both of you were great and again I thank you for volunteering.

Here are the links...and below I've posted a few but there's much more in the links...

http://www.501st.ca/tk878/ud-ssc-ken/

http://www.501st.ca/tk878/ud-ssc-roy/

DSC09608.jpg

DSC09616.jpg

DSC09631.jpg

DSC09641.jpg

DSC09856.jpg

DSC09922.jpg

DSC09949.jpg

DSC09975.jpg

Hit the links posted for more. From the application of the release cream to the application and removal of all parts to the life cast.

:)

David

The step by step photos will be a great aid to people here that want to life cast.

Looks like you worked your butt of though.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back