Major Matt Mason Astronaut costume

Joseph C. Brown

Sr Member
I've got a Major Matt Mason costume for Halloween 2011 in progress as a wearable outfit. Yes, I am *that* crazy. I do hope that if Tom Hanks gets his Major Matt Mason movie made, he does a good job, and then I'll have been ahead of the pack for once in my life! :cool

The Major Matt Mason spacesuit is closely based on the real SPD-143 spacesuit used during the Gemini and Apollo flights. NASA has a 13MB pdf file on spacesuit history that is nicely done:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/ILC-SpaceSuits-RevA.pdf

There are differences, mainly simplifications and those tend work in favor of a costume.

Here's what I have found out for accordion joints: if you can think of a gutter flexi-spout, or black corrugated drainage pipe, or a dryer-vent hose that might do it for you, awesome! Everything along those lines that I have looked at this year has been close, but not quite correct for me. All of the movement joints on this costume are tapered!

Pre-made cylinders are simply too uncomfortable to allow me to move normally, let alone be seated comfortably. I did discover that pre-made accordion joints for humans are indeed available, but holey fertilizer, expensive!

Black ring Glove and Accordion Sleeve Combo

Glove box accordion sleeves would be absolutely perfect! Just a mere $500.00 per pair... and I would need two pair at a minimum. One pair for the shoulder joints and elbow joints, and one pair for the hip joints and the knee joints. The up-side is they are very flexible and with the various sizes of arms out there, I could certainly find some that would do nicely for my arms and my legs.

The downside is that $500.00 per pair price tag. Dropping a grand for a costume is something that wouldn't have fazed me (well, not much) in the past. But with the current economy? Ain't happin'!

I'm currently leaning towards sculpting my own forms (or bucks) from insulation (pink) Styrofoam. Then sealing the foam surface, and then applying many coats of Liquid Latex. Black liquid latex, 5 - 6 coats. I have the foam to hand, and a gallon of the Black liquid latex costs about $80.00 including shipping. I won't need anywhere near a gallon, but I'd rather have too much, than run out part way. Allow all the liquid latex to cure, and (theoretically!) just roll it off the foam bucks. This should allow me to just slip them on the arms and legs when needed.

And for helmet globes, the 12-inch globes seem to be the best compromise between size, weight, strength, appearance and discomfort. And I can add exhaust vents and a quiet fan.

Frosted White Acrylic Globe at:
Home Improvement Made Easy with New Lower Prices | Improve & Repair with The Home Depot
Newport Coastal 12 in. Diameter Acrylic Replacement Globe
Model 7791-12W
Store SKU 312840
Internet/Catalog SKU 100671507

Cost $20.20, includes shipping from GA to TN
This will have to have the visor opening and the neck ring attachments done. Much Dremeling in my future, there is...

Clear Acrylic Globe at:
P&M Lighting Co.
1921 Hilton Ave.
Ferndale, MI 48220
http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-JZalenko/StoreFront.bok
They are selling thru their Ebay storefront.

Cost $35.30, includes shipping from MI to TN

This will have to be given a transparent amber color, and carefully trimmed to make the visor. More Dremeling ahead...

So, here's where I'm at.
I have a plan to deal with the accordion joints.
I have a jumpsuit that will need straps and buckles, and a better zipper. Much better!
I have a helmet globe, and a clear one of the same size that will be cut-up for a visor. And tinted!
I have white poly birdseed cans to trim my neck ring for the helmet from.
I have the gloves and boots taken care of.
I also have great illustrations of the Jetpak and I'm confident of being able to get that done fairly quickly.
My Jetpak will double as a functioning backpack for carrying needed stuff - water bottles, wallet, wife's purse, etc.

Any tips, thoughts, or advice would certainly be welcome! As the suit progresses, I'll getting build pics up.

And I have ten whole weeks to go! What could possible go wrong? : )

Maybe dryer hose would work when painted black. Or check out a big truckers wholesaler for black convulated hose.

Great Idea. Then build that walking tail dragger.

WOW! Major Matt Mason that used to be my favorite toy as a kid. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Rats. Only reason I clicked on this was to see which one of my outfits you were going to cosply!!! Lol

Seriously though, Matt Mason is a super iconic toy line, and I would love to see justice done to it. The fact that I've been called Major Matt Mason for the bulk of my life also makes it of interest :)

Good luck with the build! Post pics!!!

i could swear the thread title _was_ major matt munson when i clicked it...and then i thought why should tom hanks make a film about him? ^^

:thumbsup Too funny! No, the thread title has not been changed!

I'm a relative newbie on the RPF; I've tried to help out with some spacecraft images, done a SS model build, and now I'm trying for a full-size costume from a rumored film project! I'd honestly not made the connection with Mr. Munson.

The jumpsuit is at the seamstress's place getting a useful zipper installed. While that is happening, I'm taping off the globe(s) prior to putting the Dremel to them. I've gotten my wife to help with measurements I need to make the foam bucks to try the Liquid Latex on for the accordion parts of the outfit.

I will be getting some pics up later today.

I swear I thought this said Matt Munson costume.... :lol

Have seen the rare Major Matt Munson Figure ?

matt.jpg

Worked getting holes cut for the helmet this evening. The neck opening seemed to work best at 7 & 3/4 inches for my head:

That's looking fab!
Love Matt Mason, I hope you can keep it faithful to the original figure.

These helmet globes, are they plastic or a perspex type light shade? I've only seen similar in glass.

The globe is white acrylic, also known as perspex. This style of globe is fairly common for exterior lighting, set atop of posts or exterior wall fixtures. Try some of the DIY or electrical lighting store type suppliers in your area, and to price compare for 12 inch/350mm globes.

The seamstress did a great job installing the new zipper on the jumpsuit, and my wife grabbed the camera and did the following shots. The black elbow piece was a trial fitting of a section of flexible drainage gutter, and I am unlikely to use it - very limiting in range of motion, and uncomfortable as well!

The gutter would make a good mold though. I saw some underground drain and it has flat edges to it. Mold that and use something more flexible. For the shoulders bend it before making a mold and it would fit better.

I'm almost finished with a full size MMM jetpack. There is a pic of it on my workbench in my pics section. Go MMM!

The globe is white acrylic, also known as perspex. This style of globe is fairly common for exterior lighting, set atop of posts or exterior wall fixtures. Try some of the DIY or electrical lighting store type suppliers in your area, and to price compare for 12 inch/350mm globes.

The seamstress did a great job installing the new zipper on the jumpsuit, and my wife grabbed the camera and did the following shots. The black elbow piece was a trial fitting of a section of flexible drainage gutter, and I am unlikely to use it - very limiting in range of motion, and uncomfortable as well!

Looking good! that's working so well.
"Limited range of motion" Sounds just like the real Matt.
Thanks for the info on the globes, i'll check them out.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back