Major Matt Mason Astronaut costume

Joe,
I printed a few of the #3 stickers. If you want one PM me your address. Because of the curve of the helmet they work best if you cut out the black ring and the number and apply separately.

If your worried about how see through it is, you could always use under armour heat gear under it. It would help keep you cool, and add another layer of material.

Thanks for the input! :)

For the see-thru issue, I did a search here on the RPF and saw that others had solved this issue by using a Men's Dance Belt, so I ordered a white one, and, *that* should attend to that... uh, issue. :love

I had been unhappy with the Transparent Yellow on the visor, so I let soaked it overnight in Purple Power, which stripped it clean. Then I carefully re-coated it, and it looks MUCH better now. It then gets it's silver trim either today or Thursday.

Last edited:

Yes, I am doing this costume because when (and if) the movie actually hits the theaters, I'll be wearing it!

I was just hoping that your link had more up-to-date information; while I had wanted to do this costume for years -- about last 40 years to be precise -- it's literally not until I ventured out of the General Modeling and SS Modeling sections of the RPF that I gained enough knowledge and confidence to try making my own.

The suit is coming along great,I know you are trying to get it done for Holloween but the Velour undersuit isn't working for me. Mason's Spacesuit was based on real spacesuits of the time a better material would be white denim. Maybe later you can use the velour suit as a guide.

I was looking at Cameron's nice build of Major Matt's Rotojet rifle, and decided to get some shots of the Agent Zero-M Sonic Blaster that I have, and combine those with the pics of Mattel's prototype LaserBlazer that was auctioned off awhile back. They are similar, but different. The Sonic Blaster is 34" long, making it a bit bigger than the LaserBlazer.

Joe
Thts a pic of my prototype. I won that auction. That's what started me making full size repros. Gotta have em all!

As am I.

My favorite toys when I was little were the entire Major Matt Mason suite (moonbase, crawler, etc.) and a pile of Captain Action things.

I'm LOVING that helmet. And envying it massively. Damn.

I'm LOVING that helmet.

Thank you!

And envying it massively. Damn.

Perhaps consider doing your own? I have been posting each step, and listing what I got from where. I haven't done serious costumes since the mid-1980's, and my gang (posse?) and I just went to sci-fi cons as our own Traveller characters, so we weren't worried about being screen-accurate. Sure, I've built alot of models since then, but this is my first effort to make an accurate costume to a very specific look, the Major Matt Mason figure. And if I can do it on a fairly low budget... then just about anyone can!

These pictures are of one of the thigh pouches, old Army Surplus, spray-painted with Rustoleum White. And the helmet with the silver paint added around the sides and rims. And the first cut at detailing the jumpsuit!

Krylon Black Primer, and it's flaking in spots. :cry

I am planning on trying Dupli-Color® Vinyl Flat Black and see if that works better.

And the helmet number got here today - thank you, sir! I owe you :thumbsup

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back