Major Matt Mason Astronaut costume

Very, very cool!

My build progress has been slowed, not stopped. My wife finally had made the comment that made me re-think the existing suit:
"So, are you going for the plush astronaut look?" She'd been going through my MMM references pics on the computer, and realized what had been bothering her about the build.

So I ordered a 'green man suit', in white, and have been working on it. The thigh pouches have gotten a dusting of silver over the white paint, and I've gotten the soles onto the boots. Black flip-flops, with a ledge carved into them where they adhere to the boots so that they match the toy. Still have to add the faux zipper lacing to the front of the boots, and the locking top to them and they should be done.

For the blue strapping - and it's gotta be blue, can't be black, folks'd think you're a re-issue! Or a Leadworks knock-off... anyway, I used Offray blue ribbon. Several of the local stores have gotten used to me wandering in with a printout of MMM uniform parts, and the Major sticking out of one of my jeans pockets...:lol And the silver strapping is also ribbon.

I also am using the 'Peel and Stick Fabric Fuse' on the costume. It may be the sign of a neophyte, but, having cloth-friendly double-sided tape means that I can get things done with fairly little trial-n-error. My sewing-fu is not strong.

The Contact brand Grip Premium foam is for the boot tops, and it's very nice looking. I'll see how well it goes on the boots, then add their faux zippers, and try to get pics of them up tomorrow.

While still messing about with the accordion joints, I found some soft plastic items by G. T. Water Products, Inc, their Master Plunger.

Funky, yes, but if it is funky and it works, then it's just cool! I've ordered black versions of this, so, no painting required!

And, the boots. I used Contact Grip Premium black foam is for the boot tops, and a strip of can-cooler foam for the very top. 7-inch long jeans zippers to simulate the MMM figure boot. Everything applied with hot glue or Velcro, or a combo of the two.

I think I finally have the neck-ring solved. More buckets! :lol

I used a long piece of soft aluminum wire to get the correct profile for my shoulder near the neck, and then cut corresponding openings in a white plastic bucket. White foam weatherstripping for sealing windows was cut to fit, and slit part way thru with a razor, and then applied with hot-glue.

This piece fits over the inner jumpsuit, and the outer jumpsuit zips up over it, and then the helmet goes on. This approach gives me a friction fit for the helmet very similar to what the toy has, and by doing so, I also get a front chest profile that likewise is close to the toy major Matt figure.

Looking great Joe. I just got my Tyvex suit in the mail. Im attaching straps as I type this.
GO MATT!

Test-fitting of the accordion (plunger) joints -- they are SO close to being what I want that it's not funny! And they jut above the suit surface rather more than I thought they would. Meaning, it looks good while I am fitting the pieces on the suit, but, looking at the digital pics makes me go "hmmm."

Something that I do find perturbing is that while they do fit alright for the arms, the hips and knees will have to have cut-sections just to get them on my lower body. That is, if this is indeed the route I'm taking. I do still have the black corduroy and/or the cat-litter mat as fallback options.

Black silicone RTV would be freakin' awesome, but I am afraid to even try sourcing that out, price-wise.

I had a MMM back in the 60's as well - with the "XRG-1" glider, and I see you have the beginnings for the "rocket pack" in the background.

Cool! :thumbsup

Bit of progress made...
-buckles / doo-dads for front of suit
-American flag placed
-red dots placed
-gloves sorted out
-test-fitting the thigh pouches

Last edited:
Thank you!

...and, on to: The Jetpack!

I'd been doing some of this well before today - but today was when a goal was to get the Jetpack as completed as possible. The rocket nozzles for the bottom were from plastic drink ware and plastic funnels. They were lightly sanded, and primed, and then painted. The top 'hook' for the jetpack was cut from insulation foam, glued, and painted.

Cardboard 'desk organizer' tubes of a good diameter were joined into longer tubes, and then covered in thin sheet styrene.

Googly eyes were painted, and so was a piece of sheet styrene, which then had it's hypno-pattern painted in. The pattern is a enlargement of the toy jetpack part, used as a template.

Foamcore was trimmed to make the front and back sub-panels, and the bottom. Using a mix of 3M adhesive spray, hot-glue, and Ambroid Pro-weld, and a bit 'o cussin', everything was attached together.

I have yet to paint the main body of the jetpack, and I need to add the top bar assembly. But, it will hold a collection of materials within the body, two water bottles, and has adjustable shoulder straps. Motorizing the hypo-pattern was something I really, really thought about; fortunately for all, I passed on doing that. :lol

The Jetpack is now done!

-Repainted black hypno-spirals
-Added googly-eye bolts/buttons
-Added chrome trim lines like the toy had
-Hot-glued sub-assemblies together
-Made removable top lid using hacked-up Listerine bottles

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back