Suggestions for "Full Figure" Women

Pestilence

In short I'm looking for help with finding a character for my wife. She doesn't have the Super girl body type and is on the shy side. She is 5'4 and will kill me if I post her weight, Think Renee Zellweger's Bridget's Diary.

Jedi Barriss Offee is a good choice.

The actress who played her was curvy, and the skirt and cape work well with a curvy body type.

barris_offee5b75d.jpg

Barriss.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll also be able to look up the actor and see what other roles she has played as.

EDIT: Or not. According to IMDB she was only in five movies

Now, I know this is a touchy subject for many women (even when they have nothing to worry about), but if she is comfortable with herself then I would suggest characters as close to her size as possible - not that she couldn't pull off a different sized character, but so that she can really rock the look.

Not having any idea what her proportions are, mind:

- if she's really round? Perhaps Ursula from The Little Mermaid. A badass character and she still gets to show off her chest.
- if she's more just "thick"? I would say nearly anything is possible - you can add a corset to force an hourglass shape if necessary, but hell.
- pear-shaped? Hell, anything with a gown or skirt; Disney princesses have acres of material below their waists; might be a huge pair of hips under there for all we know, lol.

EDIT: I just noticed the Bridget Jones comparison. IMHO, that's more 'thick' than anything, and is plenty attractive to boot. I'd say sight unseen that the possibilities are pretty wide open. Just remember that big baggy crap makes people look bigger; fitted materials make them look smaller. =0)

Heh. I have a sister, a fiancee who has 4 sisters herself, and an 8-year-old daughter. Can you tell?

Cheers

Last edited:
I was also gonna suggest Chun-Li from Street Fighter! An ultra awesome character, and she's got WOMAN THIGHS! PA-POW! She also has a cyncher at her waist, that is flattering. She is fully covered as well: those are brown tights/leggings.

sf4-chun-li.jpg

I would also suggest Shaak Ti from Attack of the Clones. She wears a full skirt, plus the robe and tunic, plus the colors are dark. The clothes aren't revealing, so I think just about any body type could pull it off. Heck, I'm overweight and I did it.
Shaak_Ti

I never saw "Bridget Jones' Diary," so I don't know how big you're talking about, but I got some great reactions to my Ma Hunkel costume. It kind of calls for a "matronly" figure, so it's up to you to decide if your wife would be ok with that.
010.jpg

If you could get boots with lifts, she could make a badass Power Girl or Wonder Woman, because I think they should be a little thick. Certain artists drew the original Black Canary on the curvy side as well, and she doesn't have to be tall.

It really does depend what she likes - comics, films, tv ,games etc. Always best to costume something you enjoy then you get more into the character.

a couple of ideas Comics wise-
Retro era catwoman - wore a dress with a waist cinching belt. Could easily wear skin coloured Danskin dance tights instead of bare legs
http://calmdowntom.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/081184921X.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Dawn by Linsner is a fantastic curvy comic character there are many many images of her with various costumes (not all of them revealing)- you just have to google dawn costume to see the many versions.
Dawn - Lucifer's Halo Issue #2

Dawn by Linsner is a fantastic curvy comic character there are many many images of her with various costumes (not all of them revealing)- you just have to google dawn costume to see the many versions.
Dawn - Lucifer's Halo Issue #2

I heartily agree with you on this, Sakara. Dawn is one of my absolute favorite female comic characters. Having been close friends/partner-in-performance/stagehand with/for a former Dawn Look-A-Like contestant (I say former, for DragonCon isn't having the contest this year, and mysteriously, Joseph Linsner apparently isn't showing up to D*Con), I have seen many, many Dawns from backstage, and indeed assisted with several myself. While I have seen plenty of "fit" Dawns, most of my favorite have been the "real women" portraying the Goddess of Birth and Rebirth. Fuller figures and somewhat "thick" does indeed fit the image of Dawn and I too celebrate a proper portrayal of Dawn.

Now, with my mind on characters that bigger women could play, in reality, any character could possibly be played. Better fit characters could be Pella of Clan Breem (from the webcomic Looking for Group, Looking For Group) is very good. She's a dwarf who knows battle, metalsmithing, and music (she's skilled at being a bard).

A female Tron Verse character (classic or Legacy) would be wonderful too, as you don't have to portray a named character, but could make your own. I, myself, created my own security program, with symbols linking me to numerous characters including Tron, himself.

A young Amy Wong (the Chinese Martian physicist employee of Planet Express in the show Futurama) would be wonderful for the more-than-stocky person. If you are a fan (I know I am), then you know that even up to her early years with PlanEx (see the episode Future Stock for the reference I just made) Amy was a very overweight gal.

Aside from the overweight characters, if you want to be a character, then dress as that character. If it feels good to be them, then do it. You don't always have to dress as a character who shares a similar figure. Look at Tron Guy for goodness sake!

Good luck with everything, and I hope you find something that you enjoy dressing as.

Slainte mhaiph saoil fada is bas in Eireann! (Good health, long life, and may you die in Ireland!)

I'll put in a vote for any kind of full-body armor. The bigger and bulkier, the better.

The difference of me being 160 pounds vs. 190 pounds was barely noticeble in a full set of Halo Spartan Armor (which being a unisex armor is a good choice BTW).

40K Sister of Battle is a good one.

Battletech Elemental.

Or even machines like Robby the Robot

All sorts of cool stuff.

Princess Daisy from Mario Bros, Miranda from Mass Effect(a tight outfit, but she is voluptuous). There are several Disney princesses that would work. Lulu from Final Fantasy X. Carmine Infantino's Batgirl was always curvy. White Rabbit(a D-level Spiderman villain with a cute costume). Even if she wanted to dress as Princess Leia, I think she could pull it off, but she might be more comfortable in one of the non-slave looks. Oh, and Mary Marvel can be a little thick, especially if you go with the earlier red dress.

I think this is a great question, and an honest one. I love it when people build costumes that play off their body type, it can work so well!

My suggestion would be Ursula from The Little Mermaid!

ursula-2.jpg

Couple of costume version, the Broadway play would be great reference
CON-26.jpg

tn-500_usay.jpg

I have seen some very well done full-figured Matriarch Benezia costumes (from Mass Effect). She has a sort of corset-like piece that would be flattering. Zoe, Kaylee, and Inara from Firefly/Serenity can easily be made full-figured. In particular, Kaylee's ball gown would be a flattering and recognizable costume that any size woman could wear.
She could also be Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica (or any female pilot/officer - those costumes are very versatile). Any of the women from Babylon 5 (particularly Ivonova), any of the women from any Star Trek... a lot of the space opera-type shows have more generic costumes that are recognizable and that would allow her to create her own character, which can be a lot of fun.

But really I would say that she should just go with whatever character she likes and would feel comfortable portraying. People are going to be looking primarily at the costume, anyway, and if she is having fun then no one will care if she looks exactly like the character. Besides, if you gave an accurate description of her, it doesn't sound like she has anything to worry about :)

Thanks for the Suggestions! She is more into the Anime/Manga and I drag her into the Sci-fy/ Gaming scene.
The Nintendo Princesses are a great Idea as is the retro Cat Woman. I would love to get her into the Lulu costume though. :love Then I can get a Auron suit!:lol
As some of you said she is just "thick" and finding form-fitting styles is not a real problem. I just needed a push in the right direction.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back