Red Hood Build Version 2 (Noob Build) Update 11/3

Re: Red Hood Build Version 2 (Noob Build) Update 9/24

Looks great! I would use the mesh on the left eye if you can see out of it. The right eye does give it character but I would make it more like the comic, triangle with bowed sides and sharp points if you are going to do it that way.

I like the left eye as it gives more personnality to the helmet, giving it more of an angry scowl as the red hood's personnality is. Not so much the hood but his personal character, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I pulled a few ideas you guys gave and this is another test fit I came up with.
IMG_20111001_145848.jpg

IMG_20111001_145859.jpg

IMG_20111001_145907.jpg

I know a lot of people cringe at the idea of mesh in a helmet, but I want to wear it for long periods of time and I think the mesh will allow it to vent better. Besides I can always change them for display purposes later.

Is this new one better?

I like your lense idea's. the new one is good, as long as you can see and breathe properly, go for it dude, you have done an excellent job. Really like the version 2 build. Still need to cut my pep pieces.

Yea I think I'm going to go with the newer mesh idea. The helmet gets hot as it is with no type of covering for the eyes. With all the body heat I put off I'd be baking my head in there if I used lenses lol.

I'm need to finish up on the knife, and next weekend my friend is going to sew a zipper onto my grey turtleneck compression shirt. Also need to finish up the belt/knife thigh harness. I ditched the foam boot covers in favor for some real metal pieces (should look a lot better)

Hopefully I can work on it over the weekend. So much dang writing this semester. Well at least its my last :)

Awesome thread. Thanks for all the pictures and information. I've never used pep or the materials before, but you've given me the confidence to give it a try.

Awesome thread. Thanks for all the pictures and information. I've never used pep or the materials before, but you've given me the confidence to give it a try.
You definitely should its fun. I'm addicted now lol. I even moved on to foam building for a IM mark VI suit

So I haven't work on this build for a while (got distracted by my IM foam build).

I do have a minor update:

I didn't like my foam boot and hand plates so I redid them in sheet metal.
IMG_20111103_210612.jpg

IMG_20111103_210536.jpg

And I got my shirt done. Its a turtle neck compression shirt which I added a zipper to. Looks pretty good just wish it was a little darker.
IMG_20111103_210741.jpg

Gonna finish up the knife and belt as well.

Dabiddabird, I know you've already got the eyes done and look great but check out Master Dahark's comic style batman build and how he did his eyes. Just another option done with screen. Great work on the rest of your suit also.

Dabiddabird, I know you've already got the eyes done and look great but check out Master Dahark's comic style batman build and how he did his eyes. Just another option done with screen. Great work on the rest of your suit also.
Thanks for the info, definitely looking into using that technique.

hey dude, hows things coming along with your costume and helmet? hope everythings well. Look forward to updates when you get time.
Hey Mcoatsey nice to hear from ya. I saw your pics, they look awesome. Your patch of white hair really adds to the character.

I've been in between my Iron Man and Red Hood builds lately. I think I have been spending more time with the iron man armor though :/ this should have been done already.

But after all this final homework, I should be able to work on the knife this weekend, pick up some gloves, and finish the belt. Just need to find some time to work on it.

Good to hear dude, look forward to your pics when you get time. I had a couple of months break from costume as work was busy. Revised the costume bits I needed to do the night before ThoughtBubble. Most people think my hair was died that way, even work colleagues don't believe me at first, its real honestly. Need to find a someone who can cut sheet metal to do the boot/ leg plate/catwoman buckle properly plus will get round to starting the version 2 in pep/fibreglass and a version using Selitac foam which GrimmpyDinky is using for his IronMan and see how it turns out.

Good to hear dude, look forward to your pics when you get time. I had a couple of months break from costume as work was busy. Revised the costume bits I needed to do the night before ThoughtBubble. Most people think my hair was died that way, even work colleagues don't believe me at first, its real honestly. Need to find a someone who can cut sheet metal to do the boot/ leg plate/catwoman buckle properly plus will get round to starting the version 2 in pep/fibreglass and a version using Selitac foam which GrimmpyDinky is using for his IronMan and see how it turns out.
Sounds good. If you have some good metal shears its not too difficult to cut sheet metal. Thats what I did. The biggest problem with my costume is my gut lol. I need to lose it.

Yea I've seen his material it cleans up really nice. Not sure how much of a curve you can get out of it though, especially for a Red Hood helm. Eva can be heated and given a nice curve if the selitac foam doesn't work for you. Looking forward to that.

This is amazing. I've never tried to build a helmet before but after reading through this thread I would like to get started on one. I always wear a mask made from lycra (was commissioned) when cosplaying Red Hood but I want to step it up with a better looking helmet.:thumbsup

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back