Red Hood Build Version 2 (Noob Build) Update 11/3

Re: Red Hood Build Version 2 (Noob Build)

that's really great work ;). I was thinking about doing that version after the current project. This is your first build isn't it? Fantastic bondo work!

Looking awesome dude, can't wait to see it painted

Thanks, I can't either :).
that's really great work ;). I was thinking about doing that version after the current project. This is your first build isn't it? Fantastic bondo work!
Thanks, yeah this is my first time working with everything lol (pepakura, resin, fiberglass, body filler, and spot putty)

Thanks. I found some areas that needed some tlc when trying out a test coat. I'm back in school now too so finding time is even harder than before :/

I did however test my color scheme that will be used. First coat is going to be a Metallic Matte Aluminum. Second coat will be Gloss Cherry Red. And the last coat will be a Matte Clear Coat. I did a test area, and I liked the look so I will be sticking to that.

Here are some shots of color (these where quick light coats, I expect the final paint to look a lot better)
IMG_20110902_200228.jpg

IMG_20110902_200222.jpg

Thanks. I'm not sure how I am going to do the black lines. I would like to have them carved in then painted black but my layers of Hondo are really thin and I'm scared I might cut into the helmet when attempting to score the lines. Any suggestions? Or am I stuck just painting them on?

You could do something interesting instead of drawing the lines on. Like get some Plastruct half round plastic rods and glue them on. They'd be more of a design feature and catch the light in more interesting ways than a black line. Just paint them red with the rest of the mask and let the shadow create the line.

Just a thought.

You could do something interesting instead of drawing the lines on. Like get some Plastruct half round plastic rods and glue them on. They'd be more of a design feature and catch the light in more interesting ways than a black line. Just paint them red with the rest of the mask and let the shadow create the line.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion, I too was thinking adding some sort of rod or 3 dimensional object instead of just paint. I will most likely play around with other alternatives before I try pinstripping.

You could use some thin tape(1-2mm) to do the line work then use a dremel tool carefully to do the grooving. Depending on the fit of the helmet you could add some extra fibreglass/resin inside where the scoring goes so there's no risk of puncturing through. The helmet looks amazing dude, look forward to you finishing it.

You could use some thin tape(1-2mm) to do the line work then use a dremel tool carefully to do the grooving. Depending on the fit of the helmet you could add some extra fibreglass/resin inside where the scoring goes so there's no risk of puncturing through. The helmet looks amazing dude, look forward to you finishing it.

Thanks that's also a good idea. I'll try various things and see which has the look I prefer.

Here are some photos with the primer and 2 base coats of matte aluminum.
(Shots are a lil blurry, sorry)

IMG_20110905_193830.jpg

IMG_20110905_193857.jpg

IMG_20110905_193839.jpg

Boo.....I was starting the red coat and the can got stuck. It was spraying non stop. I removed the cap and pin and it still kept spraying. There goes one can of new paint wasted. Was planning on posting pics of red tonight but not after this fiasco lol

Thanks. It was very intimidating at first, but I did a lot of reading before I started so that helped out enormously. I got a new can of red so I might be able to post pics tonight.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back