Making Plastic look like Wood?

Tank O' Guinness

How would I do this? I tried to look it up on here and couldn't find it. Points in the direction of the previously mentioned thread are appreciated! :D

I recently did a faux wood finish on some vac-formed grip covers for my Grordbort raygun entry:

32_grips1.jpg

32_grips2.jpg

It does take some practice, but the basic method is to paint your base coat (a lighter brown color) with a gloss enamel paint. Once that dries, you have to make a glaze. In this case, I used a dark brown acrylic paint thinned with blending gel. You may also be able to use real wood stain and polyurethane, but always test it on the base coat first to ensure compatibility. Then you use a coarse bristled brush to create grain patterns. Once that dries, clear coat the whole thing and you're done.

This is PVC pipe painted to look like wood. Like above, it was a base coat, then acrylic paint dry brushed over top. I used a fan brush dipped in various shades of brown to get a good mix. After many coats, it even has a raised texture like wood.
red-skull-costume-testing-eyes-grenade.jpg-59751d1311192475

As another suggestion...

I knew a guy from when I worked at McFarlane Toys who would drag a saw blade across plastic in a curve or wave form to give it the texture as well. He gave it a darker wash so the wash would settle in the scratches left by the saw teeth. He said it took some practice. I kept a sample of it but it's packed and I don't know where it is otherwise I'd show it.

So maybe an idea to play with.

I recently did a faux wood finish on some vac-formed grip covers for my Grordbort raygun entry:

32_grips1.jpg

32_grips2.jpg

It does take some practice, but the basic method is to paint your base coat (a lighter brown color) with a gloss enamel paint. Once that dries, you have to make a glaze. In this case, I used a dark brown acrylic paint thinned with blending gel. You may also be able to use real wood stain and polyurethane, but always test it on the base coat first to ensure compatibility. Then you use a coarse bristled brush to create grain patterns. Once that dries, clear coat the whole thing and you're done..
:thumbsup

Once that dries, you have to make a glaze. In this case, I used a dark brown acrylic paint thinned with blending gel. You may also be able to use real wood stain and polyurethane, but always test it on the base coat first to ensure compatibility. Then you use a coarse bristled brush to create grain patterns. Once that dries, clear coat the whole thing and you're done.

Amazing results. I did a search and sound your amazing technique!
Have a question for you, what is blending gel? First for me!!

Have some grips that I would love to come out like yours and would love to give this a try! :)

-Skyler101

Amazing results. I did a search and sound your amazing technique!
Have a question for you, what is blending gel? First for me!!

Have some grips that I would love to come out like yours and would love to give this a try! :)

-Skyler101
Blending gel is an acrylic medium that is clear, and used to thin out the paint. It is mixed into the acrylic and thins it while making it spread smoother and dry a little slower making it easier to manipulate the paint for an extended period of time.

Blending gel is an acrylic medium that is clear, and used to thin out the paint. It is mixed into the acrylic and thins it while making it spread smoother and dry a little slower making it easier to manipulate the paint for an extended period of time.

Thanks for the quick reply Moviefreak. I think its a language issue, as I have never head of it before, and I asked around and got people looking like i was saying "Klatoo Barada Nikto!!!" Do you know if you make it up yourself, or if its something freely available in the US!

I'm stating to think I am on a hunt for Home Depo again! If so, Michael B and a few others are getting nervous as we type! :p

- Skyler101

They sell it at art supply stores. It's not a hardware item. Honestly, you could just use acrylic paint without it, but it helps the paint to spread around better and thinner, giving you more control and more working time.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back