Scratch building a WWII era Tommy Gun(Update with pics 1/4/2012.

GBRyker61

I'm looking to build a Tommy Gun from scratch. The one I'm thinking about building is the Thompson 1928A1 Submachine gun. I need the height, width, and length of the stock, receiver, grip, foregrip. I would like to know what sized PVC pipe would be good for the barrel and how long it should be. I would also like to know the thickness and diameter of the drum magazine. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:
Re: Scratch building a WWII era Tommy Gun.

For all the work and materials you would put into that you could just as easily (and probably more cheaply) buy an airsoft replica.

For all the work and materials you would put into that you could just as easily (and probably more cheaply) buy an airsoft replica.

Under normal circumstances, I would go out and buy an airsoft replica, but I'm working on a shoestring budget for this build. I've got a lot of wood and PVC lying around.

That is the only real difference in the military version and civilian version. you can still use the info from that tutorial just replace the fore stock. Honestly an airsoft version would be your best bet as a springer should set you back 50 bucks vs the time and material to make it.

That is the only real difference in the military version and civilian version. you can still use the info from that tutorial just replace the fore stock. Honestly an airsoft version would be your best bet as a springer should set you back 50 bucks vs the time and material to make it.

Even fifty bucks is something I don't have right now. Plus I would rather not have to go through the hassle of modding an airsoft gun. And even if I did have fifty bucks, I would still prefer to scratch build it rather than buy and mod an airsoft gun. Plus I have the tools and materials already on hand to build this and I have reference pictures. I just need the height, width, and length of the rear stock, grip, receiver, and foregrip. I need the length and size for the barrel and I need thickness and diameter of the drum magazine.

Last edited:

A few years ago I had built Thompson sub-machineguns for a convention as a Star Trek group for the episode "A Piece of the Action". I used actual plans I found online and made them out of wood with some cardboard for the barrel cooling detail, muzzle compensator, front and rear sights, and the magazine drum winding key all coated with Minwax wood hardener. Using simple woodwork toy making techiques, the bolt could be pulled back and lock into place. Pulling the trigger would relase the bolt to give a loud crack of the wood bolt striking the wood frame. I had also made optional parts for a stick magazine and straight forestock to be changed over for an early WWII Thompson before the military made changes for a less expensive model.
It was far cheaper to buy the materials needed and put some thought and sweat into making these than to buy airsoft replicas.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63100&stc=1&d=1313125934

I only charged my friends that wanted these $50.00 for the materials and a little extra for the effort in making them. They made up any difference in buying me beers.

Last edited:
Re: Scratch building a WWII era Tommy Gun(Update 1/3/2012).

Surprisingly enough, I received an Airsoft Thompson M1A1 for a gift this past christmas. Now what I need is a drum mag to go with it. The version she got me was the straight stick version. As you can see in the photos it's transparent(something a coat of flat black spraypaint can't solve). Also any help in identifying the brand would be helpful in getting the right Drum mag.

Surprisingly enough, I received an Airsoft Thompson M1A1 for a gift this past christmas. Now what I need is a drum mag to go with it. The version she got me was the straight stick version. As you can see in the photos it's transparent(something a coat of flat black spraypaint can't solve). Also any help in identifying the brand would be helpful in getting the right Drum mag.

This is a WWII model made after the 1928 Model you have been thinking of, so it won't take a drum magazine. The modifications to the wartime Tompson were made to reduce costs of the manufacturing of these weapons. Please reaserch the differences between these weapon models before you try to buy or force parts that aren't compatable to what you have and are looking for.

For instasnce, the 1928 Model will have a top lever bolt action. The gift you have reveived, the bolt action is on the right side as a military weapon. The drum magazine, as an alternate option, was eliminateded because it was too clumsy and difficult to reload, besides being clumbsy and heavy to carry extra ammo in a drum magazine. I really wouln't mess with it (Other than paitinting the transpaent parts), unless you want to make it into a Pulse Rifle from the "ALIENS" movie.

Last edited:

This is a WWII model made after the 1928 Model you have been thinking of, so it won't take a drum magazine. The modifications to the wartime Tompson were made to reduce costs of the manufacturing of these weapons. Please reaserch the differences between these weapon models before you try to buy or force parts that aren't compatable to what you have and are looking for.

For instasnce, the 1928 Model will have a top lever bolt action. The gift you have reveived, the bolt action is on the right side as a military weapon. The drum magazine, as an alternate option, was eliminateded because it was too clumsy and difficult to reload, besides being clumbsy and heavy to carry extra ammo in a drum magazine. I really wouln't mess with it (Other than paitinting the transpaent parts), unless you want to make it into a Pulse Rifle from the "ALIENS" movie.

Thanks for the info. That sucks. Oh well, it's still an awesome gun. I have no plans to make it into the pulse gun from Aliens.

Something I should have clarified when I initially made this thread was that I was in the early stages of making an Armored Vault Suit from the videogames Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. When the DLC Honest Hearts was released for New Vegas, one of the weapons in the DLC was a .45 Auto SMG. The .45 Auto SMG was a Thompson M1A1 SMG. Two of the mods in the game were a Drum Magazine for increased ammo and a Compensator for spread reduction. The .45 Auto SMG in the game bears a resemblance to the gun I have, except for the ribbing on the barrel. I had planned on having the Thompson, along with the drum mag and compensator attached, as a prop to go with that costume.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back