Travis Bickle Sunglasses ID?

Zoltar

Looking for a 100% ID on De Niro's Taxi Driver glasses.

Is American Optical Model FG 58 the correct model?

Anyone know the exact spec?

Cheers
ZOLTAR

Also seen Randall's mentioned somwhere else.
Just thought someone may have narrowed it down to the specific make, model, size and lens spec.
The things some of you guys know blows me away sometimes. :thumbsup

:lol

ZOLTAR

If it's the Randall's we are talking about I have not seen the Movie in awhile they are just that.

They are Military Flight Glasses, I used to get 2 pairs issued to me a year.

Randall Avaitors in gold or silver, don't know what size he wore.

www.randolphusa.com

Also seen Randall's mentioned somwhere else.
Just thought someone may have narrowed it down to the specific make, model, size and lens spec.
The things some of you guys know blows me away sometimes. :thumbsup

:lol

ZOLTAR

I'd bet on them being American Optical sunglasses, if only because of Randolph's timeline. Randolph started in '72(by former AO employees) making equipment but didn't get the big military gig until '82. Doesn't mean they weren't making sunglasses when the movie was made, but...

Randolph Engineering :: Aviator Sunglasses, Ranger Shooting Eyewear, Prescription Frames, Military Direct, and Accessories

American Optical released the frame in '58.

Honestly though, they're nearly identical as they're a contract fulfillment. If nothing else the AO's are half the price, and are probably correct to boot.

As far as size, if you're wearing them get the size that fits you, not DeNiro. Otherwise I'd guess the 57, but I know you want something more concrete. They look bigger than my RB Caravan 55.

Gold with true green glass looks to be correct.

Flight Gear

Both the brands already discussed have made the HGU-4/P for the military. I've seen some of the vintage glasses that were gold filled, but I don't think any of them are anymore.
No, they switched to a gold electroplate sometime in the 1990s, and these can be had for under $50. Vintage GF HGU-4/Ps will probably run over $100.

The HGU-4/P style has been recently discontinued and replaced by a much uglier AFF style frame.

Cheers

At least I'm not barking up the wrong tree, I think your right with the green lens/gold frame. Think I'm going to order a pair of AO's in 57mm and see how they look. :thumbsup

ZOLTAR

Randolph's were being issued to the Military in 80-81 as mine were Randolphs.

Of course some units were issued AO's as well.

We had our pick from Randolphs or Ray-Bans.

I'd bet on them being American Optical sunglasses, if only because of Randolph's timeline. Randolph started in '72(by former AO employees) making equipment but didn't get the big military gig until '82. Doesn't mean they weren't making sunglasses when the movie was made, but...

Reading again from their website, they became the prime contractor in '82. My bad. Still though, as they started as an equipment company, it's not very likely they had a pair on DeNiro for filming in '75.

Forever, before I took any interest in the glasses, I thought Randolph was always the contractor because that's the brand the Hidalgo Eyewear catalog sold back in the mid eighties. At twelve I was an early adopter of proper eyewear. :cool Wasn't until I ran into some vintage AO's that I found out about them. Still though, they look like crap on me so I never bought a pair. Sticking with the Oliver Peoples Victory and the Ray Ban Caravan for the square aviator.

Funny discussion because for all intents and purposes, they're the same glasses. It's like arguing about the maker of Indy's bag.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back