Type-15 Shuttlepod from Star Trek TNG

Can anyone identify the source of the isolinear chip storage unit in the aft of the shuttlepod? This was only seen in The Minds Eye. It does not appear to be scratch built but something commercially manufactured that has been redressed.

bOiPEX6.jpg

N4xrPb2.jpg

Last edited:
No Problem, happy to help. Its hard to tell what the item is without seeing more and having an idea what it is. If for example it was a part of a copy machine, then we can look up copy machines. Was it seen in any other ep? The Cover for the iso, I think you can get a better shot in Relics, I think scotty is looking at it. It almost looks like a cover to a toaster.

Update:

I had a response from Rick Sternbach on The Trek BBS regarding the isolinear chip storage unit in the aft of the shuttlepod.

The chunky plastic housing looks like something the shop either bought or vacuformed. However, the rounded-corner "cover plate" actually goes back to ST:TMP, as one of the longer pearlescent silver storage cases that I made blue labels for (CTYO STORAGE - ANDROMEDA STRAIN). You can see people carrying those cases in TMP and maybe WoK. The storage cases would slip into racks, and only the ends would be visible. Somehow, the ends of the original big cases were "mis-identified" or deliberately modded into cover plates for chips and other widgets.

I have not been able to identify the source of the housing. I do not have access to a vacuum former (yet) but I do have access to a 3D printer. I have a 3D model in progress, but I can only accurately model what was shown on screen.

Image3-1.jpg

I have also succeeded in contacting Michael Okuda regarding the LCARS display.

Unfortunately, we don't have any of the original art from that set. The only suggestion we'd have is to watch the episodes carefully and do frame grabs. (That's what we'd do if we had to re-create the panels.)

While it would have been fantastic to access the original artwork, having a definitive answer is still good in that I know I've been on the right track.

My special thanks to Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda for their replies.

Regarding my LCARS, I see they have been used by a modeler called "The Eye of Error". (He didn't give me direct credit but did say that they were "great" LCARS he found online. I'll take the complement.) He did a fantastic job with his build and the LACARS look outstanding backlit in his model. (I hope a preview of things to come)

Shuttlepod_Finished_11.JPG Shuttlepod_Finished_10.JPG Shuttlepod_Finished_08.JPG Shuttlepod_Finished_15.JPG Shuttlepod_Finished_16.JPG

You can check out his build blogs at All Scale Trek or Tyken's Rift. Well done The Eye of Error.

Last edited:
Update:

After an extensive web search of images I manged to positively identify the seats used in the mock-up.

6EBN3B5.jpg

They are Procar Rally seats from Scat Enterprises.

wSS6kGg.jpg

One of the identifying features of this seat is the unique reclining mechanism on the side.

4rnoynX.jpg

The good news is that Scat Enterprises is still in business. The bad news is that they no longer produce this version of the Procar Rally seat. I contacted them and was told they changed suppliers. The current version no longer has the unique reclining mechanism.

2I9BFv5.gif

There are some subtle dimensional differences the previous and current versions, but I don't think they will be noticeable.

NmA3qwv.jpg

Aside from the absence of the unique reclining mechanism the most noticeable difference is in the vertical seams. There were originally seven vertical seams in the original seats used in the mock-up and the current versions only have six. The vertical seams in the current version also appear wider. Unless I can find a better solution I may have to settle for the Procar Rally. Apparently this style is trademarked by Scat Enterprises.

Last edited:
Update:

I have located some additional images of the filming miniature. The best ones so far are from when it was on display as part of "Star Trek: The Tour" in Long Beach, California around January 2008.
GJeaZJ2.jpg

My first impression was that this is a terrible looking display. The way the models are suspended with vinyl coated wires and foam-board signs looked amateurish and not museum quality. It did however produce a fair view of the underside of the model, except what was obscured by the wires.

TTxcQwu.jpg

I was able to edit out most of the wires and get a few good images.

4K5nZHD.jpg

i22exiR.jpg

Keeping in mind that the original mock-up was in 4 separate pieces, the fuselage, the two nacelles and the wedge under the bow that was an afterthought to hide the casters under the fuselage.

3CXqBQo.jpg

For whatever reason the stage crew did not always assemble these pieces in the same configuration. The nacelles of the mock-up had no physical connection to the fuselage, they were simply laid next to it. The nacelles did have left and right hand versions which were sometimes reversed during assembly. Their position along the fuselage was not consistent either, sometimes they were placed further forward, sometimes further back. The bow wedge was sometimes placed upside-down compared to others. The miniature has a fixed configuration for the nacelles and the wedge. I am using this to eliminate any ambiguity during the assembly of the mock-up. Sometimes there would be variations in the same episode, i.e. Times Squared where both the wedge and the nacelles were reversed later in the episode compared to the beginning.

The miniature also shows how the nacelles were to be attached to the fuselage using pylons.

O7bY8Zg.jpg

The miniature also has a detailed underside which shows a plant-on similar but not identical to the one on top and it shows the backside of the bow wedge.

bVcTnJP.jpg

It is assumed that the original full size mock-up no longer exists, so I consider the miniature as the de facto standard for any external details that can not be established from existing images of the full size mock-up. I am using this to establish which nacelle is the right and left hand, the position of the nacelles and the configuration of the bow wedge.

I would love to get some good pictures of the miniature first hand but do not know its current whereabouts. I have reached out on the Trek BBS but with no response. There is currently a Star Trek exhibit at the Mall of America in Bloomington MN but I do not know if the miniature is there. I have attempted to contact the operators via their web site but have had no response. I visited such an exhibit in Philadelphia in 2009 but the miniature was not on display there.

Attachments

• F4iN0rJ.jpg
    F4iN0rJ.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
PyroJockey. I was doing research for the star trek medical case. The cover was the end piece of the cause. The iso cover was used in the transporter room on TNG. That area where the iso where in the transporter room. Was originally used in TMP as a medical station. The case where put in there. (If you look in TMP before ilia breaks the door, while Kirk Spock and decker are talking, in the background you can see it.

anyway...the case below was used and it not a found case it was made for the movie. Its fiberglas. Message me. I have more info that can help.

11537494_1.jpg

PyroJockey. I was doing research for the star trek medical case. The cover was the end piece of the cause. The iso cover was used in the transporter room on TNG. That area where the iso where in the transporter room. Was originally used in TMP as a medical station. The case where put in there. (If you look in TMP before ilia breaks the door, while Kirk Spock and decker are talking, in the background you can see it.

anyway...the case below was used and it not a found case it was made for the movie. Its fiberglas. Message me. I have more info that can help.

View attachment 508784

Hi Joe. I managed to get a reply from Rick Sternbach on trekbbs.com about this and he wrote:

Rick Sternbach said:
the rounded-corner "cover plate" actually goes back to ST:TMP, as one of the longer pearlescent silver storage cases that I made blue labels for (CTYO STORAGE - ANDROMEDA STRAIN). You can see people carrying those cases in TMP and maybe WoK. The storage cases would slip into racks, and only the ends would be visible. Somehow, the ends of the original big cases were "mis-identified" or deliberately modded into cover plates for chips and other widgets.

I assume he was referring to the same case as the one you pictured.

Thanks to your tip I found instances in TMP and TNG where they were used on the same prop, just repainted.

6GOJq4j.jpg

qwQJGz8.jpg

SYo513a.jpg

I don't believe these came from any commercially available product and were probably vacuum formed. I don't currently have access to a vacuum former but they are easy enough to make. I do have access to a large industrial laser sintering type 3D printer.

Thanks again for the tip!

Last edited:

I'm not sure what the link is supposed to show, but you are correct in that the hinges on the port and starboard upper hatches are not as depicted in the concept sketches. In the sketches they appear to have a continuous hinge (piano hinge) the same as the lower hatches do.

dVpMgw8.jpg

In the actual mock-up they used a more complex hinge arrangement. I have taken great pains to reverse engineer this hinge design and it will be incorporated in my replica.

Mt9M93n.jpg

The original shuttle pod seems to be in Germany, owned by uber fan Martin Netter

Photos: Cosplayers of Destination Star Trek 3 + More Pix From Around The Con

scroll down about 1/2 way

This is his site, he may be able to help with references

Filmwelt Star Trek Shop

I have seen this mock-up before and I can guarantee you 100% it is not the original, just a replica of the outer shell. There are lots of missing details and general dimensional errors.

5S0ceeN.jpg

ZyYOLyB.jpg

I have seen a few other replicas, such as the Beignet, but I can still tell at a glance it's a replica.

2WXXY3A.jpg

Martin Netter does appear to own one of the original shuttlepod mock-ups from Enterprise.

Last edited:
Update:

I found this image of an LCARS panel on the yourprops.com web site. It's reported to be a used on screen prop from TNG.
m2A82J4.jpg

I know many variations of these non-illuminated LCARS plant-ons were slapped onto various sets. This appears to be the same one, or at least of the same design, as the one used on the isolinear storage unit in the aft compartment of the shuttlepod as seen in "In The Minds Eye".

pMZ0104.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

I've made some good progress in creating a 3D model representing the isolinear storage unit as seen here..

FR1GXTa.jpg

This prop was obviously kluged together with whatever odds and ends were available at the time. Esthetically I never liked it, but it is cannon. I did take some license with the cover, extending the bottom slightly so it actually covers the entire opening.

u23R3NR.jpg

This is what the unit looks like with the cover off.

8FWlsHt.jpg

One of the things that's not obvious from this angle is that the two rows of isolinear chips are not centered in the opening. I may change this in the final version.

5RnaGqH.jpg

I haven't textured it yet, but I'm not looking to make a pretty model. This model is destined for a 3D printer. The others will be used to create the fabrication drawings.

I've done some work on the small LCARS panel too. Below is an original.
m2A82J4.jpg

Here are my graphics for the LCARS panel on the unit.

BFCzr0d.jpg

And the rendered 3D model.

eKbwPlB.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

I have found two variations of the object used for the isolinear storage unit. Both of them appear in sick bay. Both variations cover the large rectangular opening with a piece of black acrylic, presumably an LCARS display. One variation has a piece of black acrylic on top of the large protrusion, while the other variation has some additional component(s) attached to the top of and down one side of the large protrusion.

The episode Unnatural Selection shows the variant with the additional components(s).

l4n07gd.jpg

bsJ71un.jpg

The episode Times squared shows the variant with the black acrylic.

sXTdY6S.jpg

The episode Transfigurations shows both variants.

cv9ekYi.jpg

EnR0eqL.jpg

The episode Shades of Gray shows the variant with the black acrylic.

cD37M9e.jpg

bKhHbuu.jpg

The episode Starship Mine show both variants.

5GoEKes.jpg

These additional images helped me to refine my extrapolation of what the hidden portions of the prop may look like.

uhDFCAU.jpg

From the geometry and the sharpness of the edges I believe this is an injection molded part form some commercial product.

Does anyone recognize the shape? One theory is this may have been the top panel of a circa 1980's thermal printer with a roll of thermal paper nested in the rectangular opening. The round hole on top of the large protrusion may have been start or power button. the small rectangular holes on the top may have been status indicator lights.

Does anyone know of any other on screen appearances that may provide a higher level of detail?

Last edited:
Howdy PyroJockey!

Y'know, it really looks like it is something related to a thermal printer/printing calculator/cash register component in some way - something related to the HP PC-100: PC-100A.jpg

It occurs to me that due to the number of those pieces they had (let's say at least 3 - maybe they moved a couple from set to set), and knowing how set dec and props depts. find their stuff, some company somewhere had to have gotten rid of a bunch of them at once, meaning they had a bunch in service at the same time. That says it's likely not a really specialized item that a company would only have a single one of (like, say, a single plotter for the entire engineering department). I know none of that is specific or helpful, but maybe it will trigger someone else's thought along a path that ultimately bears some kind of fruit... Good luck.

Nice job on the LCARS graphics!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back