Yet another ASHPD (Portal gun)

PyroJockey

Yes, another thread on a ASHPD Portal gun build. This was a project I started in 2009 and have worked on and off on ever since. The goal was to build the most realistic Portal gun ever. Now there are so many good ones out there it seems almost mediocre but I am still going forward with it.

I initially used the Valve SDK to extract the models from the game as MDL files and converted them to SMD file. I then imported the SMD files into Blender using a third party plug-in.

Once in Blender I saved them out as DXF files that I can import into SolidWorks, a 3D solid modeler for mechanical design and manufacturing.

The models came in as 3D wireframe curves with surfaces, primarily lofted, between them. I found that if I import the models with the units specified as meters they import to scale.

The models were coarsely faceted and some of the surfaces needed repair but all the base geometry is there and to scale. This saved me countless hours of work with only screen shots.

Some players of the game are not aware the 2 different models of the gun are used. The world model used for third person views (on left) and the view model used for first person views (on right). The first person model is of a larger scale than the third person view and has a slightly finer resolution and finer details of what you can see in game. The first person model is not complete in that it only has what can be seen from the first person view. Like most of the other builders I went with the third person world model but took some of the better defined features from the first person view model ans scaled them to fit.

I then used this base geometry to create the various solid bodies and to rebuild the coarse faceted model with smooth surfaces.

I recently completed my initial re-design.

I exported the models as STEP files and sent them off to a 3D printer to be printed in nylon.

More pic's to follow.

The project is stalled but not forgotten. The 3D printed components are waiting to be finished and I have 4 feet of clear acrylic tubing.

vulqp.jpg

2rg0rgz.jpg

34fk3ye.jpg

21x6qd.jpg

15s92ll.jpg

1z1sgpf.jpg

1178kuv.jpg

Subbed! Always wanted to have my own some day :)
This is a great start and I got a feeling this is gonna turn out awesome!

May I ask which printer you're using?

May I ask which printer you're using?

I have a business associate who is also a Portal fan. He printed this out on their company's large capacity industrial 3D printer. It's a laser sintering machine using powdered nylon. Other than that I don't know the specifics of make and model.

I have a business associate who is also a Portal fan. He printed this out on their company's large capacity industrial 3D printer. It's a laser sintering machine using powdered nylon. Other than that I don't know the specifics of make and model.

I was somehow expecting this answer when seeing the quality of the print ;)
Great stuff! Thanks a lot!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back