Cowboys and Aliens (not really a) Movie Review

Larry Young

Master Member
How is there not a thread for just the film? I found one for the trailer, and the 7-11 cups, and all, but...

I loved this flick. Amazing number of nods to real Westerns: the Searchers door shot, Sam Rockwell playing the Doc character that's in every Western ever, etc.

Harrison Ford acting rings around everyone. Olivia Wilde's ethereal beauty actually has a story reason.

Honestly, I don't think those LOST writers have let me down yet.

Last edited:
I'm going tonight. Thanks for the non-spoiler (not really a) review... has me looking forward to it even more now!

I enjoyed it. It wasn't great but it didn't suck either... well worth using my Movie giftcard for.

Larry's got a point with the nods to western flicks. This is a western movie - with aliens. It's got a lot of what you'd want in a western with the bad guys being alien, rather than native.

...and then there's Olivia Wilde. Totally made me forget about Hayley Atwell in Cap.

Missed it tonight (stupid college finals day!) Fully planning on taking my son with me tomorrow to see it though. I have a feeling it's gonna be great!

I LOVED it! I found it amusing how he kept losing his hat and getting it back, instead of Harrison Ford doing that.

I laughed the first time I noticed Craig lose..then regain his hat.

I liked it a lot and can't really add anything different than what's been said.

A good western with aliens

Thanks Larry...was going to call it a night and saw your post. Got myself a 2nd wind and hit the late show. Totally fun movie. Loved that it had the pace of a western. Good 'ol Kelvin.

It wasn't great, it wasn't bad. I enjoyed it but I had trouble really getting attached to the characters. Everytime something happened to a character, I was like "meh"

I wish they would of explained what exactly the gold was being used for. Were the aliens just a bunch of gold miners pan handling in the yukon so to speak?

I saw it tonight.It wasn't horrible but it didn't exactly knock my socks off either.I can tell you it isn't worth an evening price/viewing.

I showed the HD trailer to my next door neighbor this afternoon, while updatin his PC. he gets his wife, to check it out as well, and it seems that they will both be going to see it(she goes to the movies about once every three years)

And I will be there to watch it as well. Like both the males leads, and well Olivia, what more can I say.

This was AWESOME! Much better than Captain America in my opinion. To me, this was the definition of a great summer popcorn movie. Not too serious, but not too silly. Fun, exciting, lots of butt-kicking, and well paced! Was very apprehensive about seeing this one and was so relieved that I really enjoyed it.

Went to see it with the Wife and Daughter and we all thought it was great! I would have liked to see more of Keith Carradine, though.

I think Sam Rockwell had one of the funniest lines in the movie....

Robert

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back