Iron Man Mark 6 build WIP...updated pics on page 2

jrhaake

Yes, I know...another iron man build. I have been lurking for the past year, looking at the amazing things all of you guys have accomplished, and I finally have the guts to post my progress to get some feedback. I have been working on this for the past year or so, but I have 2 kids (2 1/2 year old an a 6 month old), and am preparing for grad school, so time for this build comes in short stints. I will attempt to attach what pics I have.

Last edited:
Re: IM Mark 6 build WIP

Forgot to give credit....sorry. I am using Dancin Fool's helmet pep files and Robo's mark 6 pep files.

Quick question for those of you out there with experience. Do rare earth magnets help keep the separate helmet pieces secure, or should I also develop some sort of latch?

Rare earth magnets work very well. It's just the matter of where do you want to put the faceplate when you take it off. I've seen when someone ( I believe here on the RPF ) also put some rare earth magnets just under the surface on top of the helmet so he only had to set the faceplate on top, looking like it slid up on hinges.

Thanks for the advice Spartan.

Here is another query...the segment between the codpiece and the thigh has been bugging me for quite awhile, so I figured I would take it to the experts. Do you find is best to construct that area as a separate, solid piece, or is it better to cast it in something flexible like latex? I am looking for something that will be comfortable to move in, but also will hold the level of detail I want in the piece.

Your insight is always helpful!

That is a question that so may people on the forums. I would make it with a soft material to make it comfortable. You could try using foameze and then sprayed with plastidip.

That is a question that so may people on the forums. I would make it with a soft material to make it comfortable. You could try using foameze and then sprayed with plastidip.

But will that still have the same look as the automotive finish I plan on using on the rest of the suit?

Most people are just using like a lycra or neoprene undersuit under the hard armor. Remember in the movies those parts are cg'd in to look more rigid. the only other way I can think of is like scale mail, almost like the back of a samurai helmet. That may work quite well and you could use polystyrene for that and you'd be able to have the finish you are looking for.

You might want to pm STEALTH, he is a fantastic builder and he may have some good suggestions also. Probably better than mine--- he has alot more experience than I have--- but I'm always willing to help out.

Loving this build, how was it pepping the chest piece? I am working on the helmet right now, its coming along ok but i still need some more time before i am any good at it.

Loving this build, how was it pepping the chest piece? I am working on the helmet right now, its coming along ok but i still need some more time before i am any good at it.

Pepping was fine...just time consuming as anyone could tell you. The difficult thing is bondoing everything that at odds with a movie version suit. I had to do quite a few tweaks on the chest piece so far that way...but it has been fun!

Nice nice...I've seen people talk about using a silhoutte sd cutting printer idk how that works exactly but i guess it cuts the time consuming part of cutting all the pep pieces out. I will finish my mannequin tonight that has taken up some of my time this week because I work full time i dont get much time to work on this project. And i know i want to retain the shape of the pieces im making and best way for me to do that is a mannequin. I am looking forward to pepping the chest i know looks intimidating but should be fun. Just want to get this helmet done first to have a soild finished piece.

Pepping was fine...just time consuming as anyone could tell you. The difficult thing is bondoing everything that at odds with a movie version suit. I had to do quite a few tweaks on the chest piece so far that way...but it has been fun!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back